Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost made a QSO on AO-51  (Read 575 times)
N3PAQ

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »

Talk about close!  I just got a new handheld, the Yaesu VX-7R and figured I'd give AO-51 another try.  I got my call out there, N3PAQ Portable FM19, and heard a call back, N3PAQ This is ???PI, at least I think so, I tried to get back in there and get the call but it failed.  I'll have another good chance tonight at 2200 my time, I'll be out there.

73 All
Joe
N3PAQ
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 07:16:24 PM »

WOW - I did have a two way QSO tonight, with a station in Michigan, but I just can't seem to write down call signs and operate the HT at the same time.  Drives me crazy!!!

I guess I need some sort of voice recorder plugged into the radio or something, ahh, more equipment to buy.  

Joe
N3PAQ
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:25:07 AM »

I did it!  Made a contact!

Now, what should I put in the MHz box of the QSL card?
W4TME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »

You have several options.

AO-51 has different modes.  You didn't indiate which one you were using, but I am going to assume it was V/U mode (VHF up / UHF down) with FM.

You can put the uplink frequency or the mode (V/U) or J-Mode (they are the same) or AO-51.

I normally indicate the mode in the MHz box and write somewhere on the QSL card that the QSO was on AO-51.

-Tim
AA3YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 12:53:56 PM »

I heard your QSO.  I think somebody asked what city you were from and you said Frederick. I've had good luck with SO-50, it's not as loud as AO-51 but still easy to work.  Give it a try some time.  73, Vasiliy
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »

Cool - yeah, I've made 4 contacts so far.  I think the one you are referring to was N2TEB, he is just down the road from Frederick Md in Alexandria Va.  It was such a blast!  Since I'm only using an HT whip antenna, I might not hear SO-50 or it might not hear me, but I'll give it a shot one of these days.  I'm sure to be getting a better antenna in the not so distant future.

I didn't really know SO-50 was an FM bird - thanks for the info.

Joe
N3PAQ
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 07:06:49 PM »

Add 3 more!  I thought I'd have problems getting in during the contest.  I worked WP3IH in PR, my first ever QSO outside of the continental US!  This is great!
N2TEB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »

I heard you on there as well Joe!  I just recently got back into satellites, and have been working some contacts on AO-51 and SO-50 over the past few months while I was down in VA for work.  I'm back in PA now, so I'll look for you on there from my home QTH.

For those of you who've sent me QSL cards, I should have some within the next couple weeks, and will get mine out to you.
KD5WZB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:45:56 AM »

Sorry to post to a 2 month old thread but your first attempted QSO was probably with W7JPI. I have played with the FM sats some in the past (2004) and just recently got back into it with an HT and an Arrow Antenna and W7JPI appears to be quite active on the birds both then and now.

I talked to him today, and prior in 2004 while sitting in my truck in the college parking lot waiting for one of my classes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: