Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: I homebrewed something that actually WORKS!  (Read 1680 times)

Posts: 49

« on: February 04, 2008, 02:31:32 AM »

I'm not much of a homebrewer. Well, maybe I need to rephrase that...i'm always trying to build stuff but it rarely works by design (see the seemingly endless mounds of unfinished projects in my junk box), if at all. I've had some pretty nasty burns due to miscalculation.

Until yesterday. I got it in my head that I was going to build an eggbeater to use with my VX-5R in the pursuit of the birds, and some occasional repeater work. I wanted the antenna to meet some basic requirements: small and portable, and the capability to hit local repeaters on VHF for some ragchewing.

I had some 1/2" PVC conduit laying around from yet another project (6-el VHF yagi, condemned to the heap), and some 1/8" aluminum rod. After taking some measurements I started building. After cutting two pieces the rod to approximately 30", I taped them into a circle and measured the diameter, then drilled holes in the conduit to match so the two wire circles would be at 90 degrees to each other. I also used a piece of 3/8" fiberglass rod as an extension because I goofed and cut the conduit too short, shimmed with duct tape and stuffed into the conduit. I drilled holes in the very tip of this rod for the aluminum wire to go through as well, serving as an additional support. Ta-Da, instant eggbeater. The conduit would serve as both the handle and the main beam of the antenna. Then came the hard part.

I saw the layout for the phasing hookup, which looked to me like Swahili; I could see the layout, but didn't understand the logic (I'm oilfield trash, not an electrician) behind it. So I just put it together the way I saw it, hoping it would work anyway. When I finished, the whole works was about 36" long, approximately 30" in diameter, and weighs a whopping 1.5lb. Ugly as a mud fence, but who cares about that?

So it took me a total of about two hours in my kitchen (XYL just loved that) and some stuff I had laying around, and I had my eggbeater.

The results? Well I was able to hit not only my local repeater, but another one about 30 miles away. When I made a contact I was told that I had a full quieting signal and that I sounded lima charlie. Good, that was part of what I wanted, But would it work for satellites?

I took my new antenna outside and taped it to a fence post so I would have my hands free. I was making my final connections and realized I had overlooked one teeny little detail: this thing was designed for VHF and the upcoming downlink was 436.775...UHF! How could I overlook that? Oh well, try it anyway.

Long story short, SO-41 flew over at a height of about 650km and 20-or-so degrees and I caught the downlink.

So for $0 and a little time I build an antenna that is both portable and versatile, seems to do what I want.

Posts: 7

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »

Good for you.
I always like to see folks give homebrewing a try.
Good job!
I have a couple of Texas potatoe mashers. They work ok.

I just spent the week end building a new 70cm 10 X 10 cross yagi. You can see it here:

Posts: 5

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:47:18 AM »

AWESOME!!  Hey its fun to try even if things don't always work as expected.  I tried the Texas Potatoe masher antennas and they never did tune up or work as adverstised. I'm sure it was something I did wrong!

Posts: 21

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »

Congrats on your homebrew 70cm yagi, instructions and photos are excellent, hope to build the same and look forward to your 2m design.

Cheers and beers,

Posts: 7

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:04:39 AM »

Thanks Don,
I will be added the 2 meter version soon.

Posts: 2645


« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »

Congrats! I was very pleased when the antenna I build from WA5VJB plans worked on my first satellite contact attempt ever. I've made quite a few successful contacts using nothing more than a few HT's, a compass and a laptop running software telling me where to point. Some right from my front doorstep or even from my office window!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!