Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie needs help!  (Read 1408 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »

Interesting ... I use my bookmarks for my visits to the AMSAT site ...

But I can step back and see how a "newbie" might "hit" the site looking for information ...

On one hand, it's a shame to put good papers/publications aside ... but if they are, indeed, out-of-date and useless to today's visitors, then they must be moved out of the way of new visitors.

I will pass this along to folks at AMSAT. THANK YOU for your viewpoint!

Clint Bradford
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »

Clint, I had the same reaction when I first went to the site looking for LEO info. I remember the old days of the Big Sats. Perhaps, in order to make the info more current, the "older" stuff can be put in a "clickable"  archive. In that way, people looking for further info can go there, but the current sats, and how to work 'em, should be what someone sees when they first go to AMSAT site.
KA9CQL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

Regarding AMSAT-NA's website - Unfortunately, the "newbies" like me have NO IDEA which links refer to REAL, LIVE, OPERATIONAL satellites, so when we see the links and information on AMSAT, we expect it to work.

That site has "left me hanging" so often, I came to just ignore it.

If there was a clear delineation on the site as to what is "old" / out-of-date and what is current, that would be fine.  I spent way too many hours scouting for satellites on frequencies that are listed on that site, but have not been active for years.  I finally gave up, and started my own page.

I found a few good sites, and listed them on my webpage - http://www.victorvalleyham.com/satellites.htm - and that's all I've got.

Thanks for forwarding our comments to AMSAT!

- Mike S.
  KA9CQL
AC0FA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:35 PM »

Yaesu ft-847
7 element yagi 2m
18 element yagi 70cm
yaesu 550 az/el rotator
yaesu computer interface.

Computer with internet connection to download keps.

Keplerian elements or satelliet positions posted by nasa.

Computer program pc sat.

Clear view of the sky in all directions.

Location near the antennas short lengts
of lmr 400 and silver connectors good.

Enjoy
KA9CQL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »

I went back to AMSAT's site using the links you provided.  Unfortunately, one had a PHP open error, one says its information is copyright 2004, 2005, and another's is copyright 2004-2006.  Just a hint - it's 2009, so if this information is anywhere near current, perhaps indicate so by at least stating it's copyright THIS YEAR.

Like others on this post have said - much of the information on AMSAT's website is so old that it's referring to now-defunct birds, and we "newbies" can't tell the difference between what's good info and what's useless, because we're - newbies!

Please ask the AMSAT web designers to *at least* put proper dates on pages (aka "last updated...."), if not group things by past/dead satellites, and currently-functional/correct information.

Thanks!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: