Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Reviews of Same Item by SAME person  (Read 673 times)
NI6G

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2001, 06:18:26 PM »

Are multiple reviews of the same item by the same person driving you nuts?

It seems like they're are an awful lot of people out there that are "reviewing other people's reviews."

Doesn't a person have a right to form their own opinion?

I've seen a number of individuals with 4 or even 5 reviews for the same topic. They usually do this to refute what someone else said.

I think to myself, "Geez, are their ego boundaries so weak that they feel they have to defend an inanimate object with their life?"

It's getting out of hand.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2001, 05:50:46 PM »

Nah, nothing can drive me nuts, I'm already there!

Seriously, I've been guilty of this...but not to review other people's reviews; just to enhance one I previously posted, either with new information or even a renewed opinion.  

"When I first bought this, I thought it was great...now, 6 months later, it's not looking so good..."  Or the other way around.

We can't take these things too seriously, they are not technical product reviews, they are opinions and impressions and for the most part seem pretty honest.

73!

Steve WB2WIK/6
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2001, 09:38:15 PM »

I appreciate your concerns, but...

1) these are NOT well planned, "scientific" reviews.  As such, folks forget stuff that they add later.
2) the reviews are often colored by "time owned" and folks change their minds.
3) unlike QST, for example, folks can (and should) argue about what others have found.

Of course, there are some "expressive" souls who insist on rebutting other folks seemingly at every turn.  Alas, that's the nature of this medium.

73 Mike N2MG
webmaster
PE1RLN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2001, 02:56:14 AM »

I would like to add a comment on all posts:

When I am looking for a new rig or I can buy one second-hand, I want to know if it is a good buy and what others think of it.

Luckily at Eham.net I find reviews of people who are enthousiastic about it and who are p*ssed off by it. Comparing all the reviews gives you an idea of how easy the rig is to handle (sometimes people with fat fingers don't like tiny buttons...) and how well it performs in comparison to others.

Ofcourse, all the reviews are no scientific tests and should always be considered as personal meanings, but I am going to use the rig personally too, so it is very good to have 2 types of reviews: both technical and "emotional".

When owning a rig for a few days, you'll ofcourse be very enthousiastic about it and you want to share that feeling with the rest of the world. When the rig appears to be not exactly what you thought of it, after a year or so, you want to warn the rest of the community not to buy it. Therefore you get 2 reviews of the same rig with different opinions by one person.

I personally hate anonymous posts; why are people affraid of what they write? The net is already anonymous enough so stop posting anonymous topics!

I gave reviews of all the equipment I had because I looked for them too. I hope that lots of people can find help in my posts and I know that lots of amateurs look at the site at least once a month.

Way to go!

73 de Thijs, PE1RLN
The Netherlands
KE3HO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2002, 10:19:31 AM »

I don't know how much work it would be to implement (probably a lot harder than it sounds), but it would be nice if a user could revise a review that they previously posted. Of course, one should only be able to revise one's own reviews, not others. I have written a review or two where I remembered something the next day that I had wanted to include.

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to go back from the "preview your review" to the editing page. I once went to preview my review of an item and found a mistake that I didn't want to ignore. The only options are to post it or cancel it. Hitting the "back" button doesn't help, it takes you back to a blank review page. I ended up canceling the review and starting over again.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: