The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speak Out -- Ideas, suggestions, or other comments  (Read 2141 times)
AB7RG

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2000, 02:39:04 PM »

Well since I've been running Speak Out for some time now, I've received quite a few really good suggestions for topics. Please keep them coming!

Anyway, what I am looking for as Manager, is any ideas, suggestions, or other comments on Speak Out. If you have a suggestion to make it better, a topic that you would like to see, one that you would like to see brought back out of the archives, or have any comments (good or bad), about Speak Out, let me know. Share it here with others as well. I'm always looking for ideas on how to improve my section of the site.

There have been quite a few requests to get rid of the anonymous posting option, however, there is one thing that you must consider. Here's a hypothetical scenario for you to muse over... KW7XYZ works for say the ARRL, now he wants to give his personal opinion on a topic that we're discussing. Well, knowing that he is a League Official, suddenly many guys think that KW7XYZ's opinion is going to be "League Policy"! Okay, now KW7XYZ is in hot water with the ARRL, and the ARRL is being blasted all over the 'net and the airwaves for it's new "policy". All because of KW7XYZ's personal opinion being taken wrong. Now this doesn't apply only to ARRL Officials, it could be a club officer of the YYX Radio Club in My Town USA, and he/she doesn't want to get nailed either. Same for the head or member of a V.E. team, when the topic is on licensing or testing issues. The list could go on forever.

There is also the subject of cookies, many do not have them enabled, thus are anonymous. Sure, many of the anonymous posts are guys hiding behind their monitors and keyboards, just ignore the flamers. I only remove profanity, totally off-topic posts, personal attacks and the like, and of course duplicate posts. So anyway, we don't want to lose a few good posters who have to use the anonymous posting thing.

Any suggestions for topics that are submitted are titled: "A contributor asks;" or the like, as I do this to keep you, the contributor anonymous, so you won't receive any hate mail in your Inbox. The identity of anyone who submits a topic will always be kept confidential. So if you've got something potentially controversial or a "hot" topic that you would like to see discussed, dealing with the current issues in Amateur Radio today, feel free to submit it. While I may not get around to posting your idea right away as I get quite a few submissions, but I do get around to them eventually, and I may have to change the wording of your submission a bit, to keep it brief, yet still convey the topic as best I can.

So, as I said, I'm always open to new ideas, suggestions, comments, and of course new submissions for Speak Out. It is Your Forum, so feel free to 'speak up' about Speak Out, and let's see if we can't make it an even better forum to discuss your ideas and the current issues involving Amateur Radio.

Remember, Choose View More Topics to view slightly older issues, and feel free to comment on them as well, after all, others still check on them too!

73, Clinton Herbert AB7RG
 Speak Out Manager

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

WA2RQY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 11:36:46 PM »

Dear Clint;
Did you know that the ARRL requires a product to look at before they allow you to advertise?
When I asked them why do they not require any disclosure from Non-Profit organizations before allowing them to advertise for handouts, they said it was NOT a requirement.
Seems to me that if you allow people to donate gear, monies or other services, they should really know if thier donations will be truly being used as intended and not to be scammed.
These days, it seems there are many of these orgainizations "popping" up, some have been lurking around for years, quietly taking everything they can!
Remember, the government has to pay up to the donators while the organization can pocket the goods without any knowledge.
We need disclosure before donating anything are we need to get the ARRL to check these organizations.
My opinion of course!
Rich WA2RQY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: