The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Improve forums software.  (Read 3046 times)
N2RWE

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2002, 06:06:17 PM »

This is a great site, don't get me wrong.  The owners have done a fantastic job of putting the front end together but the forums are adequate, if that.  Have you guys thought of trying vBulletin, phpBB, OpenTopic, UBB, etc??  Some of the motivating reasons are more robust performance and useful features.  The fulltext search engine of these products would be most helpful for a site like this.

Check out my profile which includes a link to my development site.  If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask.
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 05:47:55 PM »

Ditto the phpBB.
Easy to setup. moderate and administer.
N3IJW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 11:47:35 PM »

Another vote for phpBB.

-Sean
WA4SE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 05:52:56 PM »

I was coming to this forum to mention exactly this - the forums are outstanding and I review them regularly, BUT I have yet to make the "Search" function work effectively... No matter what I search for, I get no results... Very strange.

Another little gotcha is that the forums stay in the order in which they were posted originally - it would be nice to see the most active posts stay at the top...

Like the other posts above, I agree that a more robust, full-featured forum using PHP or something similar would help alleviate the above items...

Just food for thought...

Thanks for all the work that you do to keep eHam up and running!

-- Scott / WA4SE
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 09:57:04 AM »

Yeah, the search function is screwed up.

It only works on the top page of the forums - IOW, if you use the search to the right on THIS page, it's broken.  Click "Forums" in the left menu area and use that page's "search" and it works (though it does search EVERY forum - instead of just one)

Sorry about that!

Mike N2MG
webmaster

WA4SE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 02:34:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  Are there any plans on the horizon to migrate to phpBB or something similar?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 03:30:21 PM »

We had hoped to upgrade the forums software a while ago, but have not had the time.  Admittedly, it was fine a few years ago, but seems rather lame nowadays with all the fancy stuff out there.

Mike N2MG
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 12:10:29 AM »

If you need some help just give a shout.
phpBB would make an already great site even better and the forums easier to admin.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 12:11:11 AM »

It sure works good now!!!  thanks for the great job  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: