Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK - What did I do wrong?  (Read 932 times)
WA9FZB

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2005, 05:52:52 AM »

Simple issue -- I drafted a post for one of the forums.  Chose to review, then wanted to edit the post.  The on-screen instrux said to use your browser's "Back" button to edit.  Pressed the button and was taken back to an empty post window.  Post was cleared and I had to start over.  Using IE 6.0 over WIN2K Pro.

Steve  WA9FZB
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 07:12:07 AM »

Sorry about that.

Different computers/browsers/forms seem to act differently with the back button.

Most times on eHam, the back works OK for me but a year ago or so it did not.

I know it's unsatisfactory to hear this, but I learned the hard way to always save my posts (regardless of what website I am on) before I do a "back".

Again, sorry that happened.

Mike N2MG
webmaster
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 07:17:20 AM »

Just to be clear - this happens to me on other sites as well (losing text entries when using "back")

Mike N2MG
WA9FZB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »

I know what you mean -- I frequent other sites that sometimes work "right" and sometimes not.  In those cases it seems to vary depending upon the release level of the site software.  Not necessarily the issue here, but at least I know I haven't missed anything.

Tnx es 73

Steve  WA9FZB
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »

One suggestion:  try the Firefox browser from Mozilla.  The current version is 1.01.  I have had absolutely no problems posting and going back and forth with it.  One caveat:  I run Firefox on Fedora Core 3 (the current free version of Linux from Red Hat ) and I don't know if it would perform exactly the same in a Windows environment.

I certainly don't think you did anything wrong.

Caity
K7VO/8
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 08:17:05 PM »

I use the "COPY" button on what I have typed BEFORE I try to review the posting. That way if it goes bye-bye, I can just "PASTE" to a new blank page. I have lost enough of them that I find it easy just to do the copy "just in case".
Frank
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 05:14:17 PM »

Moral of the story?  Highlight and COPY the text before you hit "preview."  I know it's a pain, but now that you know that's how your system (doesn't) work, that's about all you can do.  I had the same problem when I was using Netscape 4.7; Netscape 7.0 works the way it should, both under Windoze 98SE, same computer.  I believe it's a browser problem, not the operating system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: