The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call Search dead ends  (Read 3427 times)
AE6WA

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »

I put call signs often into the "Call Search" window on  eHAM.net. Many times I will get an error saying the call sign is not in the QRZ data base. Well I click on QRZ.com and put the same call sign in and voilla there it is. The eHAM database is obviously out of date.

Also, it would be a really nice idea if the call sign could be parsed and at least the country of origin could be displayed for the call signs not in the database. There has been such a proliferation of call signs. What a great service this would be!
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »

eHam uses QRZ's database directly, so I cannot see how this could happen.

Can you supply an example?

Mike N2MG
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:48:39 PM »

I run into this all the time but don't keep track of all the failures. Here are two:
YJ0ADX and IS0IGV. Both gave failures on eHam tonight and succeeded on QRZ.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:09:51 AM »

OK, well, they both work here, and I've never experienced this problem (and I use the lookup a lot).  However, one of our managers claims to have seen this from time to time.

Mike N2MG
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 07:11:29 PM »

In order to better understand this issue I have a few
questions that might help me sort this out.

What browser and operating system are you using?

Do you have java installed?

It is possible that there is some issue with the connection between us and QRZ - but the more data points I have the better.

Thanks

George
K5TR
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »

I use Windows XP and Internet Explorer. I have Java installed.
I have eHam as a "favorite" so that is where I go first. Most look ups happen without issue. Some DX look ups fail with an error page saying the call sign is not in the QRZ data base. There is a link on the error page to QRZ.com. If I click on it and put the same call sign in I get a correct look up.

Assuming you run this particular issue to ground, think about how much more valuable your service would be if for failed look ups the country for the prefix is returned. You would than offer a service beyond QRZ.

Mike
AE6WA
KE3HO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 07:07:52 AM »

I have had a few rare cases where I put in a callsign and clicked "GO" and got the message that the callsign was not in the QRZ database. When that happened, entering the callsign again has worked the second time. At first I thought that maybe I had mistyped the callsign. But the second time it happened I looked carefully at the callsign that it said was not in the QRZ database and there was no typo. I have looked up many callsigns, and this has only happened a couple of times. I wondering if it might be that the database is being accessed by several users, leading to a timeout or something like that. I've never had a case where the second time it did not work (except in cases where the callsign really was not assigned).

73 - Jim
KB3LXY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 02:52:48 PM »

I have sen this if I am doig it on multiple stations, in succession. If I wait...and clear it, it works fine.
And , at times during contests...it gets a hevy use work out. I am sure that the server gets a little slugish.
73 &Have a great holiday wekend
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:00:47 PM »

Sounds more like a "time out" issue.

You mentioned you use eHam more often than QRZ.

Is it possible the page is not refreshing when you enter a callsign?

In Internet explorer click on "Tools" --> "Internet Options" ---->  "Settings"

Then you will see the following:

"Check for Newer Version of Stored Pages"

Makes sure "Every Visit to the Page" is selected.

If "Never" is selected, then the page will never refresh itself until you manually refresh the page using the "refresh" button on your browser.

It is also a good idea to clear your Internet Cache regularly to reduce page loading issues.

Internet Explorer will sometimes use an old page stored in the Cache if the site doesn't load up right away.

73 Charles - KC8VWM
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:16:59 PM »

I followed the advice below.
As a test, I placed EW7LO in the eHam.net Call Search window. The eHam page stalled for a long time and finally returned an error saying that the call sign was not in the QRZ.com data base. I clicked on the QRZ.com link and put the same call sign in and within a fraction of a second there Nosov Vladimir was in Belarus....

Mike Scott
AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (near LA)
Elecraft KX1 4-Watts
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 09:26:31 AM »

This usually happens in the morning here on the east coast.. I guess thats the time they update the database.. Thats the best I can figure.. Richy n2zd
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:45:00 AM »

or... that's the time when the site is the busiest!

Mike  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: