Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DEDs are Officially Dead  (Read 3274 times)
KA4KOE

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:52:34 PM »

Thanks to the fine folks at Eham, you will not see any future bonafide DEDs from me. Note that DED 20 was quickly pulled as it was not written by me, and no permission was asked of me in the first place by its author.

Any DEDs you see that are not written by myself, WA6BFH, WA2JJH, K4JSR, or KC8VWM (good friends), are done so without my permission, and are in violation of creative commons rights.

I am undergoing radiation treatments at the current time for tumors on my neck, and frankly have not had the wherewithal to write any more DEDs.

The DEDs are DEAD.

Thank you. It was a pleasure doing these articles for you fine folks. I have gotten many emails from you, and I do appreciate the kind thoughts.

73 and Goodbye

PHILIP NEIDLINGER, PE
Electrical Engineer
DWG, Inc.
KA4KOE
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »

This is unfortunate as these articles, on this web page, were well received and quite informative. In the end though, it is probably the best choice. I too have tired of E-hams policy views!

73, John WA6BFH
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 05:11:25 AM »

If I had gotten an apology from Clinton, instead of his assinine email to me, this wouldn't have happened. So you can place the blame where it fully belongs.

Anyone who writes for this website cannot expect fair treatment. I would strongly discourage anyone from submitting articles to this site.

PHILIP
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 08:35:31 AM »

Philip,

Good luck on the radiation treatments. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lon
AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:49:32 PM »

An apology? Are you kidding me? -- After you sent an email to me demanding that the article be pulled or you would take legal action? I think that the apology should come from you, after all, I am the one who formatted many of your articles, corrected a LOT of spelling and grammar errors, uploaded articles you couldn't get uploaded, fixed the little things that you wanted changed (constantly), and took A LOT of heat for many of your articles, and I did so without a single "thank you" or anything else. That's okay, as I did not expect it, all that I expected was common courtesy and in the end you couldn't even give me that.

It is unfortunate that you took this here instead doing the mature thing, handling it via private email with me (and no, I do not mean the ranting hate mail that you sent me last night.) Anyway, you have had your fifteen minutes Phil, and you're right, the DED series is over, at least here... And you can place the “blame” where it truly belongs; after all, you’re the one who started yelling at me, not the reverse.

As for "fair treatment," you can expect to be treated in the same manner that you treat members of this site. -- If you are professional and polite you will receive the very same in return. If you start pointing fingers, making threats and demands it's not going to get you anywhere, certainly not with me. I put countless hours into this site, constantly striving to make it a better place and to help out many of our authors and as I said, I do not ask anything except for a little common courtesy in return.

Clinton, AB7RG
eHam.net Articles/News Editor

KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:04:50 PM »

And Clinton, attitudes like that on the part of key figures running Eham is why this site is going down the proverbial tubes...Bill must be rolling in the grave right now.

A lot of people have emailed me and agreed that your actions were callous. One close friend stated that it was appalling how I've been treated.

Frankly, I don't really care how much heat you've gotten because of this. You messed up pal.

And, to set the record straight, I've not threatened legal action against anyone. Demanding action in an email to you and the "author" because my series has been bastardized by a plagiarist is not a threat.

Again, wouldn't you be angry if this had happened to you?

It just torked me to no end that at no time did anyone even bother to email me and ask my opinion before that article hit the front of this web site. Thats all it would've taken man. Common courtesy.

But since the attitude you are projecting is that web authors and their work are apparently disposable, no such courtesy is apparently not deemed necessary.

Have a good life.

Sincerely

Philip Neidlinger

AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:34:10 PM »

>>>Again, wouldn't you be angry if this had happened to you?<<<

No, I'm not petty like that. Actually I would be flattered. And it has happened to me FYI! It's all in one's perspective and attitude, how one responds (or doesn't) that is...

"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." -- Charles Colton (c.1780-1832) English clergyman & writer from wrote Lacon, 2 volumes of aphorisms

KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:46:49 AM »

Do I need to start moderating for you two clowns?

Smiley

I understand that there are two sides to every story. We have both Clinton's perspective and Philip's perspective of things.

What I DO openly recognize is that you both have the very best interests of the eHam website in mind.

With that said, let's not get hasty over this misunderstanding. Put all this lawsuit copyright  crap on the backburner and let's just be sensible for a moment.

I recognize that Clinton has a helluva responsibility on his hands in maintaining this website and I can understand if each and every article doesn't get screened in a manner that suits us all. That wouldn't be fair.

Philip on the other hand has done his fair share of contributions to this site too. He has without a doubt spent countless hours researching good material for the site to attract and retain the readership.

Philip is commended for doing such a great job. If there was an award given by eHam for such work, I think we can all agree that Philip would be be most deserving.

I can understand how Philip can become upset when someone comes along out of thin air and uses his popular DED theme to ride the popularity wave. Seems hardly fair when he has put so much hard work and dedication into his work. So, yes this makes a person upset when that happens. Clinton, your a reasonable person and surely you do understand.

Clinton, I want to personally thank you for tolerating and putting up with us trolls that frequent this site. Some days I can only shake my head and wonder how the heck does a webmaster satisfy everyone all of the time. It's obviously a tall order to fill and obviously it would be unreasonable to expect you to meet everyone's demands and requests 100% of the time.  

Philip, I would also like to thank you personally for your most excellent contributions to the eHam website. Your works are well recognized in the ham radio community world wide and I know they are published in the very best interests of the eHam site. I KNOW that Bill would have been very proud indeed.

Keep up the great work and let's all try and keep all of this in good perspective.

We all know that there is no substitute for eHam. It is a very unique place unlike any other ham radio related website on the entire planet.  

We ALL need to keep eHam a great place to visit for the ham radio community now and in the foreseeable future.

I know deep down inside each and every one of us here that ever contributed an article on this site knows that is really the overall intention inside everyone's heart.

My Best,

Charles - KC8VWM
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 09:02:36 AM »

I'm a college professor who deals with cases of plagiarism nearly every semester.

Philip was right to expect that the editor would not accept for publication something that so blatently and obviously copied his format and style.  Yet, the editor eventually did the right thing by pulling the article (something which could not have been done with a printed publication).  Although (like Charles) I see both sides of this, I think that the buck stops with the editor, and would hope that something was learned from this experience.  

I also hope that authors will be held to higher standards in the future.  I've certainly gotten the impression that nearly anything can be published as an article on this site.  It is my belief that by raising standards, and rejecting inferior articles, more good articles will eventually be submitted.  

Chuck  NI0C
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 10:12:15 AM »

I admit I lost my temper and my composure badly and for that I am not proud.

I AM proud of the work I have done. I expect my body of work to be respected.

Clinton, I did appreciate the help I received when I was on the learning curve of uploading files to the site.

There are lots of words I wish I could take back now.

There. I've done it. For what its worth.

Plenty of blame to go around for everyone.

I've already apologized to N2MG in a private email for my lost temper.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 11:46:30 AM »

Heck if it helps any even I am willing to accept some of the blame on my shoulders.

Well said Philip and you have demonstrated that you are a true gentleman.

C'mon Clinton.. Get in there..

No hard feelings?

Charles - KC8VWM

AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 01:54:51 PM »

Apology accepted, Philip. I believe that if this had started off on a different foot things would have been much easier. -- Anyway, no hard feelings on my end. And thank you for the kind words, Charles; they are certainly appreciated.

73 Clinton AB7RG

AE6IP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:59:46 PM »

What an interesting little tempest you've got here in this teapot.

I will say that as a disinterested observer, I don't find Philip's apology particularly gentlemanly or sincere, especially with the lines "For what its worth" and "Plenty of blame..."

You can't, by the way, copyright a style of discourse.  Or a title, for that matter. Or even the format or structure used in a series of articles.

Also, creative-commons is a license, not a 'right'.  Applying a license to copyrighted material doesn't change rights, it merely extends rights to the licensee.

On the other hand, I can't seem to find eHam's authorship rights policy anywhere on the site.  Perhaps it would be wise to write one up and add it to the FAQ.

The two most common forms of such policy are the very permissive "all rights retained by author" at one extreme and the very restrictive "by posting here you cede all rights to the site" at the other.

The only statements I've been able to find on the eHam site, the copyright notice and the FAQ question about linking/using, imply that eHam's policy is the restrictive one, by the way.

KE7FFL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 02:49:40 PM »

The fact is, folks, that you cannot copyright a title. I can publish a book right now called "Jurassic Park" and there is nothing Michael Crichton can do about it. Zero.  You'd have a hard time copyrighting a style as well. There are lots of Jane Austen sylists out there right now, for example, doing their best to emulate her style to continue the characters of "Pride and Prejudice." I myself have been the 'victim' of this sort of thing. I founded and published a newsletter called "The Systems Librarian" almost 20 years ago. It was purchased by a company and I continued to write it as a column in their publication "Computer in Libraries." That company sold "CIL" to a third company, who wanted me to write for them, but under another ill-gotten title "View from the Top left Corner." (i.e.: Seattle area is top left of the continental USA.) It turns out the third company had another publication in which was a column called (you guessed it) "Systems Librarian." Essentially I got aced out of the title I had created before the third company had started in business.  However, I wrote under the new title for an additional ten years before I quit last year. Point? It happens AND it's legal.

Now, The pulled article was NOT an infringement. It was about a totaly different "Dude." The subject wasn't the same. None of the words were the same. It sounds to me like the original DED author has given up on writing any more. So since he is not going to write any more, does that mean no one else can either?  ABSOLUTELY not true! You can proclaim some sort of moralistic imperative if you want, but that gets awfully subjective and certainly has no legal standing. It sounds to me like the original author got all blustery and threatening so the publisher complied. Too bad he backed down.

In fact, if the series were REALLY popular and had gained a following, the publisher has the perfect right to solicit another author or authors to keep it going. Examples: "Heard on the Street" in the Wall Street Journal, "Dear Abby," and several comics in the funny papers. Same title; different authors.

So I'm very sorry the article got pulled. Fortunately I got a chance to read it first.  I wish there would be more of them.  I'm sorry this one was the subject of censorship. I'm sorry the guy is ill. That's a drag. I wish him well. I just wish he had the graciousness to pass the baton in a civil manner. And I wish the publisher had a better understanding of his own rights on this issue and was willing to stand up for himself.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 05:22:14 PM »

" I just wish he had the graciousness to pass the baton in a civil manner."

I think that Phil's reaction that started this discussion stemmed from the fact that he was not asked by the author or the editor if he wanted to "pass the baton."  

The issue here is courtesy, not legality.

Chuck  NI0C
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: