Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams using the 11 meter band with ham equipment !  (Read 18261 times)
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »

I know I am a cb-er but if I read the FCC rules right it states that CB equipment shall ony be used on the CB Band Not Ham equipment. Now I seems that a lot of Ham equipment is being used on the 11 meter band and then the same people are talking about going up to 6,2 or other places on the same equipment. How would the Ham group feel if I were to bring my CB/Ham radio up on 6 or 2 or even 10 meters and do the same thing.Would you talk to me if I used my "Handle"? I dont have a license for the Ham band!!  I see no way to correct this problem unless they slip and give out their call sign and you know that won't happen. So if you happen to hear me up on your freqs. giving out a "CQ" come back and maybe I can send you a QSL card!!!!!   73's OM
AI0F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »

Amazing! Cbers have been using ham radios on 11 meters for years...the old FT-101E series was sold to more non-licensed cbers than to ham radio operators. Maybe you're not old enough to remember? I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement, chances are what you're hearing are cbers using fake callsigns...I don't know any hams personally that would waste their time getting on 11 meters with any kind of equipment! The way the license structure is today, I don't see how anyone could not pass the test...to coin a phrase from a tv commercial..."a caveman could do it"...
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 06:37:44 PM »

I guess you didn't get the point! #1 I may be old enough to be you father.#2 What I said was Hams are using Ham equipment on the 11 meter band. I always hear from your group that thats a no-no. Yes I could get a license but that is not what is being discussed here.There are of your fellow Ham operators that think its ok to use their equipment on band not alloted to them and they are the persons who I made mention about. If what you are saying is all you worry about, maybe we should all get a general license and then go to any freqency and exploit our grace for all to here and not give our call sign as we should when using Ham equipment. Just use a "handle" and leave the power set wherever is to your content. Because it is "Ham Gear" and has more than alloted for the 11 meter band. Now did that make things clearer???
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:28:43 AM »

Hi
What makes you think that are licensed hams?
Why would they want to be on the 11 meter band?
Makes no sense...
JohnB
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »

Ham equipment being used on the CB bands is illegal. It is not type accepted (or whatever the FCC calls it these days)for use on that band. A CB can be used on amateur bands, but it would have to be modified to do so, and then could not be used on the CB bands again. Bottom line, legally the two are not interchangeable. Does it happen? Absolutely. Is it legal? No. Will they get caught and punished? Not likely. The FCC is not spending a great deal of resources on enforcement in either the CB or Amaetur Radio services these days. They rely on self-policing.

Mike
AI4NS
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »

Sorry to inform you I cannot get them to give their call signs but why would you buy a Kenwood 430,520,Icom 775,Yaesu Mark5,FT101,and the like and then modify it to operate on the 11 meter band. Is'nt that a unlawful modification?? I for one cannot see any good usage of good equipment for that. Oh sure there have been many modifications of cheap 10 meter radios but why go to all that trouble to make a good Ham equipment work on 11 meters. Like you say you are suppose to self check yourself but if you don't know who it is how canyou control it??  
K4OHO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:24:16 AM »

The "mod" is generally to allow operation on MARS frequencies which are outside amateur areas.  The mod itself is not unlawful.  The use of the radio other then on MARS or amateur freqs is. Its generally nothing more than moving a jumper or clipping a component on a board.
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:18 PM »

OLDSWAB,

They're not my fellow amateur operators...here in East Ky and Southern Wv they're part of a bootleg group that has actually grown up on the freebands. For some useless reason they passed their amateur tests and most are now extra class...but they still bootleg on cb and as you say...use their ham gear on 11 meters.

One reason i guess is they can now call up any of the amateur supply stores and legally buy amateur equiptment such as fancy hf rigs and hf amplifiers. All they then have to do is put the mars mods in the rigs which all the companies will furnish to you free of charge if you can show you have a MARS license. Most of the mods can be found though on the net by simply looking for what kind of rig you have.

There's tons of nice folks coming into amateur radio from the cb ranks....there is an outlaw element though from the freeband ranks that are the dregs of the earth. No respect for rules etc and act on the hambands just as they do on cb.

Yes guys....you've read this right.

Why would anyone waste the time to pass the extra class exam and then use their amateur rigs on cb you say??

Well the answer is "there's no cure for dumbass". I could'nt believe it either myself when i first found it out. I had to bring in the fcc to establish control back on two meters here where i live. They would sit around and never id themselves but they'd use their cb handles on the repeaters and on hf. See if you've been called a cb handle since you were five years old and now you're 35 and still a bootleg piece of crap....Well that's all they know...oh yeah but they do try to hide behind a vanity extra class one by two now. They can't hid...there's no cure as i said and you can't cover up dumbass either.

My two cents on chickenbanders with amateur gear and a "wasted" call sign.

73 John WR8D

"yep earned that call the hard way"
Bootleg chickenbanders around here got to know Riley pretty fast.

Nuff said!  
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »

I forgot to add to my spew above. A few times through the years i've ran across people using a sk's call sign. Yep you guess it...cber getting on the hambands using some amateurs call sign that has passed away.

You guys would surprise yourselves if you'd start checking peoples names and qth. Sometimes it all does'nt add up right. Sure there's stations that have moved and not forwarded their mailing address right just yet....but there's a lot of bootleg junk going on too.

73, John WR8D  
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 05:31:17 AM »

I have some objections to real hams being concerned with the term, "handle".  I was a ham when 11 meters was part of the ham bands and the term handle was simply what your mama called you.  I really disdain the frequency police, and the ham radio police.
W9WHE-II

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »

What is the big deal?
One more ham "dumbing down" and the differences between ham and CB will be inconsequential. Why not merge the two services along with GMRS and FRS?  That way, everybody could become an arrl member and purchase over-priced, recycled arrl publications and help fund arrl retirement accounts!

W9WHE
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »

I absolutely agree!  There is no good reason for a guy who wants to do radio not to get a license.  All ya got to do is study the manuals and memorize a few answers.  There is no cw test anymore to weed out the cavemen.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »

Plenty of hams are on 11 meters using regular CB equipment, and why not?  11 meters has quieted down a lot in the last several years, and it is an excellent means of short range radio communications.  Why should hams tie up precious spectrum space or repeaters to chat locally, when they can just flip on an inexpensive CB unit to chat with someone in the area?  You can get a new Midland CB at Amazon.com for around $25 bucks, so why run up hours and mileage on a $1500 rig to speak to someone just a few miles away?
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 12:54:55 PM »

Ham Radios on the CB band

As stated earlier it's not a so called type accepted.  Type accepted is probably some legal term
To prevent just this from happening.  
There is bad blood between Cber's and the Licensed Ham Radio operator. " From just exactly from what you described".  Getting ham equipment and using at anywhere you dam well please. 2 M, 6M, and 10M,  I wouldn't be surprised to see slow scan, digital, of FAX on the 11 meter band.  

My theory is that a CB operator can get a radio useful from 26.500 MHz to 27.999 MHz. That's where the CB crowd hangs out. 100 watts of power plus FM  all in one box. And the prestige of having one of those big ham rigs. What a waste.

Of course the ham radio manufactures are at fault for this. With today's technology chips in ham rigs could be made not to work from anywhere in the 27 MHz band and, still be modifiable else where for MARS or future amateur band expansions.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 10:11:16 PM »

Some of those radio manufacturers made a lot of money selling ham rigs to the CBers.  Some old Kenwoods were favorites among the CB and freebanders crowd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: