Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams using the 11 meter band with ham equipment !  (Read 17564 times)
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 09:06:15 AM »

Let me see. "Legal", we;ll I guess I have been legal since oh I guess around 1954. Thats when I started building electronic circuit and going into different electronic things that were not working and managed to get them going.It had to be about '56 when I got my Novice licence and built my first 6v6 cw transmitter. Had an old ARC-5 Receiver I got going with a home made power supply.Us old farm boys didn't have much money back then. My 75 foot center feed antenna run east and west from a two story farm house and I only had two crystals for 75 meter cw. band I had fun tapping out "CQ", and made I think close to 50 contacts.Well that transmitter was I guess legal. Found a good buy on an a 38-b Radio and made some more contacts. It had a cw tone built in. I had some buddys who were into Amateur radio and there dads were Hams. They allow me access to there gear on 75 Meter. Had a lot of fun. Now when I went into the Navy and was eventually placed on an Aircraft Carrier. I brought my 38-b onboard. At sea I could not use it because of radiation from the oscillator which could be seen 5 or 6 miles out.I guess that was Illegal. During my active duty is when I built my Radio Shack Tranceiver and a good friend in Boston who was a Ham checked it out and certified it. That was W1 teritory. Well I had to uses my call sign which was 18A at the time in 1W area.Calling it out as portable 1. That was legal. I keep that radio after I got out and found a job servicing Office Business Products. Changing cars made me get a diffferent radio made for 12 volt.Every moble and base radio were factory built and had no extra power. Didn't need it. On the road I only need ed road conditions. At home mainly base to mobile.Now I can't say I'm squeeky clean and I don't want to accuse you any wrong doing. But, If you are so against the "Freebanders and Illegal "CB'er", it seens that you can do more than me to clean up that problem. I noticed in an thread on what you had to say about the Classifieds that you have another question that seems to bother you. I wont go into that. I seems your biggest concern and also KD8Z is that I have no right coming onto a Ham run forum and saying anything about Hams that would tarnish their image. There are a lot of Hams who I respect as helpfull in their community and state. You seen to be one of those and I respect that. However since you are against all "Illegals" I suggest that you start turning in those that you suspect as not "Legal". You as a ham operator have more clout than I as a non licenced CB'er.   Think about that.  73's Ted      
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »

Looks to me that you are indeed a troll!  Looking for an argument.  See ya!
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »

I'm sorry you feel that way. It sounds like you might be afaid to say somthing against your bad operators. Get off of it.
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »

My apologies to a person who has all of the correct answers to all the questions. May the wind always be at yor back and you have fair weather forever. Ted always a CB'er and and a SWL'er. 73's
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »

Paraphrasing: Part 97 sez all Class-D CB gear shall be chanellized, crystal controlled, the operator shall have no means of fine tuning the transmitter frequency, be power limited to 5 watts DC input (AM) or 12 watts PEP (SSB), and be repaired only by First 'Fone licensees.

Translation: No VFO's, no QRO, no FM / CW / FSK / Digital. CB'ers get a 40 channel playpen for FCC type accepted equipment with several channels reserved for unlicensed RC use.

It didn't work out that way in practice. Ever see a Siltronix rig at a "Ham" Fest? 'Export' CB? Yeah... Me too. I've heard locals running FM on their Ranger / Uniden / Kenwood / Yaesu / Icom rigs above, below, and betwixt and between the Class-D CB allocation.

Happens all the time. Illegal, yes, but so is slow-rolling through a stop sign. (That's called a Texas Rolling Stop, BTW)

As for the reverse... It's completely legal for a CB to be tweaked into 12 or 10 Meter service. It's completely legal to home brew a transmitter for any amateur band as long as it isn't a spark rig or throws too many spurs. Some folks have even been known to take a CB up to Six. There are 10m beacons running converted CB gear and more than a few 10 Meter AM'ers radiating on the cheap thanks to a modded Charlie Brown Ray-Didio. Some of 'em sound damn good, too, especially the old tube gear.

Ain't no thing.

As for cleaning up the illegal gear on the Criminal Band... I figure that will happen a year or two after the national debt gets paid off. Wink

Fact is there are plenty of CB'ers with more money than ambition and as long as Ham rigs are considered more desirable than a CB they will run 'em.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »

Using ham gear on 11 meters isn't what is illegal, running more than a certain power, which by the way CBrs do anyway, is what is not legal. There is nothing wrong with running a ham radio on 11 meters as long as it is at the right freq and at or below the max power allowed. That being said who wants to listen to all the filthy language that takes place on CB? We have some of that type of problem to take care in our bands but its nothing compared to CB.
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »

Before anyone comes back and talks not legal issue, I know that, what I am saying is if you run on frequency and in power nobody is going to care or know. If I were running an ICOM 7800 at 5 watts on channel 10, who would know it was a ham radio instead of a CB? Thats the point. I agree with those who say no self respecting ham even cares about CB
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »

Original Posted By KC9EOT

Using ham gear on 11 meters isn't what is illegal, running more than a certain power, which by the way CBrs do anyway, is what is not legal. There is nothing wrong with running a ham radio on 11 meters as long as it is at the right freq and at or below the max power allowed. That being said who wants to listen to all the filthy language that takes place on CB? We have some of that type of problem to take care in our bands but its nothing compared to CB.

To: KC9EOT
Your are wrong!  Ham Radios are not Type Accepted Equipment, as if that really means anything. You could look at this way. Ham Radio Equipment does not meet the Type Accepted standards set for CB radio. This does not mean that they are inferior in quality and or performance, in fact they are far superior in every way. Some government attorney wrote the rules and regulations that way as to prevent a ham radio operator from using ham equipment on CB.

But you are right if a ham was to get on 11 meters and on center frequency running 5 or 10 watts nobody would know. Why would a Ham Radio operator waste his time risk his equipment, license and a possible fine just to talk 20 Mi. when he can call CQ and be herd around the world.
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »

OK!! Now correct me if i'm not correct. My CB equipment has a offset of transmit from receive on SSB. Now when I transmit I am either high or low from center frequency, correct. Now the F.C.C. has made this ruling that the CB radio will not have a variable frequency on transmit. This is what I as a CB'er  have been saying.These people who are using their Ham equipment on the CB band have variable tuning,correct. Not channel select only.  The first thing they say is "You are off frequency "! "I can't understand you"! "Why don't you get some good equipment"! Now like I said those are the same people who of having been on other bands and then having to retune their equipment to talk on the CB band. Ted  Its a sham!
K2FIX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »

Best overheard QSO

One day, whilst tuning around, heard two freeband ops make contact somewhere around 27.475.  After some discussion, they qsy-ed to 28.350, where they continued the qso, with call signs !

Any opening will find many suspiciously clean and powerful signals in the freeband.

Why bother ?  

5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »

by OLDSWAB on August 28, 2007    
I;m sorry to say that these Hams are using equipment made for the Ham bands on 11 meter!! You can  

WHAT DO YOU CARE?
Go back to the Chicken Band with the
rest of your inbred, ignorant,nose-picking cousins!
OLDSWAB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

Why cousin. Yo'all make me feel bad. After you went and got all that education.  Why I remember you using the barn yard fence for a antenna and that old bull usto go you to that fence and just beller. It looks like you come up in the world a little and got you some equipment that works better than that cake pan you had back then.You even got you a cumputer.Wow things sure change when you get up higer don't they.  
  Seriously, you are just like two friends I have had the pleasure of knowing for over 20 years. They are on an ego trip. You sound just like them.All you beleive is that if a person operates on the 11 meter band only, They are a "inbread,nose-picking cousin"!
I'm sorry for you. I think you have been living a sheltered life too long. I worked in electronics for over 40 years and may have as much schooling or more than you in electronics.But does that make me a'"inbred,nose-picking cousin"?  I think not. I am a SWL person and a 11 meter CB'r. I listen to all the chatter I can on old equipment and hear all if the trash that is going on within the 160 to 2 meter band most is clean an worked like hams should but then you have the ones who want to through their weight around. Thats when the problems make them a,"inbred,nose-pickeng cousin". Now what the new ones who are using the computers are saying I don't receive.  So why don't you just go back to Haming and your ego trips of being better than any one and maybe building a 6L6 transmitter add some voice to it and use it on 40 meters. If thats not good enough,build a 5 wttt peanut transmitter with voice and see how far you can talk.
PS:  Maybe one of these days you will stop and smell the roses.  Have a nice day! The Old Swab    
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »

oldshrub you kind of brought it on your self by going amongst the lions then dangling fresh chicken bander in front of them.  BTW, hams do not hang out on the chicken band, chicken banders I'm sure tell everyone they are hams but they are all bs, they aren't hams and hopefully never will be, shame for the loss of cw though. but at least they can't type.  Its should be a crime to take a nice ham rig and butcher it into a chicken bander, they are never the same after being butchered.
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »

Isn't it well past due to close this silly thread for the chicken band and their plight to legitimize stupidity
QRZDXR2

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:55 AM »

KD8Z on May 16, 2008       
BTW, hams do not hang out on the chicken band, chicken banders I'm sure tell everyone they are hams but they are all bs,

----------------------------------------------

Not true.  I hang with the CB'ers when I travel.  Best way to get road information as well as passing the time.

Most truckers are not your common CB'er.  They use the radio for working.

One instance was when their was a big accident ahead.  3 hours wait while they hosed the concrete blood off.   The truckers already had a bypass figured out and were putting it out on (not ham band but CB band).  We followed them and went around the accident saving over 2 and a half hours of waiting.  

When we go caravaning its not ham radio that is in each vehicle.  I guess you could say that they too are dummys?  Seems to work pretty good.

Hams just think they are important people.  

Best one radio does it all is the icom 706
 Best antenna that does it all on HF is the screwdriver.

Its not the radio but rather what its used for.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: