Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eham: the web resthome of amateur radio  (Read 2261 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »

Those of us who live in major population areas tend to forget that there are still many places in this country where dial up and satellite are the only options.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »

What eHam needs is editing ability on posts (restricted to the OP), a new forum software that puts the current topics at the top of the lists, an elimination of anonymous posting and actual moderation for profanity and other nonsense on a regular basis rather only after several dozen complaints are received.

It does NOT need fancy formatting, putting images in posts, video or other similar bandwidth-hogging nonsense.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 06:30:46 AM »

> George, this morning is an example of the delays I
> experience. Making the initial connection to the site
> or going to another page was taking in excess of 30
> seconds, sometimes timing out and requiring several
> tries. I tried two different computers using two
> differnt ISPs and had the same delays. One was on a
> cable modem and the other on a high speed corporate
> network. Other sites were normal. After about 45
> minutes I tried again and everything had returned to
> normal.

Yes - I noticed this as well - it took me a bit of time to understand what was causing the trouble. The good news is that I now understand it and I was able to clear the issue and will be working on a better fix.

Thanks for the report

--
George K5TR

George
K5TR
PHANTOMFIXER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »

I find eham to be an island of relative tranquility(other than the flaming ) among the sea of facebooks,my space and so on.People here communicate in sentences, not sound bytes,are reasonably literate and exhibit a degree of personality that is rapidly disappearing from our digital based culture.I find a lot of good information and lively talk here.I'm connected via a slow (40.0Kbps) dial up and it suits my needs just fine.The need for speed has a place,just not everyplace.
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 05:55:39 PM »

The responses here by  those who consider formating to be "fancy" or "bandwidth hogging" is laughable.

The good news is that these people are irrelevant amidst those who live in a fast moving digital lifestyle.  Most hams have been left behind by communications technology and more importantly the culture.  They are relics of a fast fading analog past and this is the demographic eHam caters to.  eHam is condescending by maintaining their Compuserve era infrastructure. It is what Hams deserve. And who they are.

KI4NJN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »

Aren't you the fellow who had the $2k fine slapped on him for interference???
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

"However, my frustration comes from hams who:..."

BOY!  You'd really hate ME if you knew me!  But, then, that's the problem.  Everybody hates everybody that isn't like them.  A pity!
Tom
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »

"The social networking sites seem heavily populated (mostly) by hormonally-challenged youth whose spelling skills are painful to read and whose vocabulary seems to revolve around the expletive "fu*k" and the taunts "retard" and "moron", etc. ad nauseum."

YOU MEAN...  YOU MEAN... There are really places on the web that are not that way?  WONDERS NEVER CEASE!!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: