The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexradio releases new models FLEX-6400/FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600/FLEX-6600M  (Read 1908 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:56:49 AM »

In spite of all of the groovy stuff they claim the new Flex rigs will have I will never buy one because of the low down stunt they pulled at Dayton when the IC-7300 was introduced. 

What stunt did Flex pull when the IC-7300 was introduced?

Zack
N8FNR
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 12:28:25 PM »

Flex seems to promise the world every show but deliverers half and makes you wait for the other half, at least Icom seems to be right on the money. The Icom specs that they have semi introduced should place the 7610 right behind the flex and much better than the 7300 but if Icom really want to give it to Flex they would bring out the 7610 for $3K and it would kill the Flex 6400M sales plus look like a real nice radio compared to the 6400/6600M series half baked front panel. Flex has there customers and the remote ability seems to sell it for the hams who feel they need it which fill that market void of the ones who want to use there I phone as a remote radio set up but to be honest once the trill wares away most of us like sitting in front of the rig and operating like we always have.
The last time I bought a radio that cost over $3K was the Yaesu 1000MP and a bunch of filters for it, I had that radio for a long time and still feel I got my moneys worth at of that rig plus it looked like a professional radio but Flex's new radio's look even worse than the ugly K3 series, painfully ugly front panel. It seems to me that back in the day even the heath SB series looked better and Drake and Collins gear looked great so there once was American built gear that looked good at one time but today USA built gear is just plain ugly, if I really thought I wanted a Flex I would buy the Bear bone radio and no display and just use the computer cause I dont know what they were thinking but I bet they are lining up the sheep for purchase or should I say slaughter.
Also the way the bands have been and will be for the next few years it really will not make much of a difference between an SDR or a very good superhet/DSP radio, you can take almost any of the top superhet/dsp radio's and computer control them plus with the ones with true IF out they can easily add HSSDR or similar programs to have very good to excellent spectral displays. As far as noise reduction the Flex may have a slight advantage but the algorithms in the newer Yaesu and Icoms have improve and are not far behind.
I wish Flex well but they still seem to be out in left field IMHO and if Icom starts to read these forums they may very well lower there price on the 7610 cause at the $3K mark if they can do it they will have another maybe 5000 to 10,000 radio sales on just one model for the next year.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 04:51:45 PM »

In spite of all of the groovy stuff they claim the new Flex rigs will have I will never buy one because of the low down stunt they pulled at Dayton when the IC-7300 was introduced. 

Zack
N8FNR

Flex put out a comparison sheet (at the 2016 Dayton booth) between their 6300 and the IC-7300. They also had an offer that you buy both radios, and compare them for something like 30 days. Whichever one you don't like, return it to Flex, and they'll give you credit (or refund?...not sure) for the full purchase price.

Now, with the sudden information release of their upcoming 6400 at Dayton (a well kept secret), they're just hastily responding to Icom's all-in-one-box, independent SDR radio motif...trying to put some pause to the thoughts of those awaiting the release of the IC-7610. Just trying to meet the competition...nothing new in business.

Bottom line: Hams used to Flex will buy Flex,and hams used to Icom will buy Icom with some crossover. Both companies will do just fine.

BTW, I just looked at the physical size of the 6400M. 6.75"H, 14"W, 13.25"D...HUUUGE! But, features and performance will obviously dictate one's preference.

73,  Bob K7JQ   
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 06:12:29 PM »

Bottom line: Hams used to Flex will buy Flex,and hams used to Icom will buy Icom with some crossover. Both companies will do just fine.

73,  Bob K7JQ   

Zactly. Personally, I'm dreading the wait till the 6400M is available.

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:39:26 PM »

In spite of all of the groovy stuff they claim the new Flex rigs will have I will never buy one because of the low down stunt they pulled at Dayton when the IC-7300 was introduced.  I just can't imagine ever doing business with a company that would stoop that low.  I'll just wait and get a 7610, at least I'll know what I'm getting and how much it will cost and I'm sure the specs will be more than good enough for casual hamming.

Lighten up, Francis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 08:19:15 PM »

In spite of all of the groovy stuff they claim the new Flex rigs will have I will never buy one because of the low down stunt they pulled at Dayton when the IC-7300 was introduced.  I just can't imagine ever doing business with a company that would stoop that low.  I'll just wait and get a 7610, at least I'll know what I'm getting and how much it will cost and I'm sure the specs will be more than good enough for casual hamming.

Lighten up, Francis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

No.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:22:49 AM »

Not be long till a new model comes along with the boot-up screen taking you straight into Farcebook or Twitterville.

Sad state of sheeple driven affairs........the commoner mainstream types you see with head buried in their IPad/IPhone.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Today at 05:37:46 AM »

Not be long till a new model comes along with the boot-up screen taking you straight into Farcebook or Twitterville.

Sad state of sheeple driven affairs........the commoner mainstream types you see with head buried in their IPad/IPhone.

From what I see, that's where things are headed. Work DX or contests while simultaneously reading Trump's Twitter rants on your radio display screen at 3 o'clock in the morning. Grin  Or sitting in Starbucks, sipping a caramel mocha frappuccino while swiping your iPad, joining in on the pile-up for the latest DXpedition. How about no more mobile radio installations...work that pile-up from your car, using Bluetooth through an iPhone app that accesses your home station, and even turns your rotor! The talk these days is all about using your station (or someone else's) from a remote location via the internet. But I understand that some don't have the room or permission to have antennas. Pretty cool alternative.

Personally, when I want to play radio, I retire to my shack, in my home, connected to my antenna outside, and sit in front of my radios with all the associated knobs, buttons, switches, and blinking lights. Heck, I still use a flip-phone...won't carry around a device that has a higher IQ than me Cheesy. And I don't want to join the ranks of iPhone-ers...walking around glued to their devices like zombies, totally out of touch with their surroundings. It's a crazy world.

But then, what do I know? I'm old  Wink.....

73 and just have fun,

Bob K7JQ         
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:31:23 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

Flex put out a comparison sheet (at the 2016 Dayton booth) between their 6300 and the IC-7300. They also had an offer that you buy both radios, and compare them for something like 30 days. Whichever one you don't like, return it to Flex, and they'll give you credit (or refund?...not sure) for the full purchase price.

Now, with the sudden information release of their upcoming 6400 at Dayton (a well kept secret), they're just hastily responding to Icom's all-in-one-box, independent SDR radio motif...trying to put some pause to the thoughts of those awaiting the release of the IC-7610. Just trying to meet the competition...nothing new in business.

BTW, I just looked at the physical size of the 6400M. 6.75"H, 14"W, 13.25"D...HUUUGE! But, features and performance will obviously dictate one's preference.

73,  Bob K7JQ   

That is not what I'm talking about Bob.  The comparison buyback program was well after hamvention.

What they did was buy a 7300 from the Icom booth and take it to the Flex booth where they did a very public comparison between the thirteen hundred dollar Icom with a five thousand dollar Flex system.  They were as derogatory as possible toward the Icom gloating about what a weak attempt it was at the SDR market and how vastly superior the five K Flex was.  Of course we all know that the Icom was a runaway success especially in light of Flexes latest attempt to emulate them.  The 6400 looks like a toaster oven, the front panel looks like an afterthought that was hastily glued on.

As I have said before, no reputable company would do such a thing and I can't do business with anyone who would stoop so low in an effort to discredit a competitors product.  Icom took the high ground by simply outselling them by a mile. 

I will be buying a 7610, I am sure that it will be more than adequate for the casual hamming that I do.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Today at 10:35:23 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

73,  Bob K7JQ   

That is not what I'm talking about Bob.  The comparison buyback program was well after hamvention.

What they did was buy a 7300 from the Icom booth and take it to the Flex booth where they did a very public comparison between the thirteen hundred dollar Icom with a five thousand dollar Flex system.  They were as derogatory as possible toward the Icom gloating about what a weak attempt it was at the SDR market and how vastly superior the five K Flex was.  Of course we all know that the Icom was a runaway success especially in light of Flexes latest attempt to emulate them.  The 6400 looks like a toaster oven, the front panel looks like an afterthought that was hastily glued on.

As I have said before, no reputable company would do such a thing and I can't do business with anyone who would stoop so low in an effort to discredit a competitors product.  Icom took the high ground by simply outselling them by a mile. 

I will be buying a 7610, I am sure that it will be more than adequate for the casual hamming that I do.

I stand corrected. I forgot about the physical comparison at the booth. Shows they were kinda running a little scared. I never went for a company/salesman knocking the competition, but that's business. Reminds me of the time ten years ago when I was at Dayton contemplating the purchase of a solid state amp. I checked out Tokyo Hy-Power and SPE Expert. THP related the advantages of their amp. The owner of SPE Expert spent all his time with me knocking THP. I bought a THP, and loved it...never a problem. Great quality amps. A shame they went out of business.

I'm an Icom person...own a 7600 and 7300. Gonna let the 7610 simmer for about a year before contemplating a purchase...the bands suck anyway. But I'm sure Flex will sell a lot of "toaster ovens" Cheesy  Can't deny that their radios are stellar performers, but just not my thing.

73,   Bob K7JQ
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:57:49 PM »

In looking at the PDF's about the new Flex rigs I noted that they use a 1/8 inch female connector for the mic! Now that is very weird. Tim at Flex verified that that was the connector. They are not using a standard 8 pin mic connector. I know that I have had problems with 1/8 connectors on other equipment and cannot understand their choice on this.

Zack
N8FNR
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Today at 03:22:20 PM »

The 1/8 stereo gives a balanced input across a differential op amp for a dynamic mic or a bias for electret and is cheaper to manufacture because of automated parts placement on a pcb, and makes assembly cheaper as well. Probably more rf proof as well.  Anan uses a similar scheme

73  W9OY
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: