The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM IC-7300  (Read 150777 times)
G4HAK

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: August 25, 2016, 03:32:56 AM »

I know this is probably an old chestnut but as a bit of an old timer Im struggling with the "Touchscreen" Idea. (I hear you saying...come on..get up to date you old &*£$%!)
I have a mobile and a tablet and get on with them ok but after a while I find the whole touchy feely thing a bit weird. I love the actual display idea and the SDR technology. The Icom PRO series looks and works great but why this move towards putting my old maulers on a screen? Is it just because its cheaper to produce than some actual knobs/switches? I suppose so. I suspect that that this will go the same way as the mobiles industry...got to have the i1 i2 i3 i4 i5 i6......etc . same device  and the same fingerprint marks all over it (yes I DO wash my hands!) . I am convinced that this radio is a good performer for the price. No question. I imagine it it here in my shack...I think I want to change bands/filter or whatever...now wheres the control...ah wait a moment..Good thing Ive got Bi-focals..Its on the screen here...Better wipe the solderflux / biscuit crumbs of my fingers..ahh here it is..." Beep"....blast...wrong function..."Beep" to bring it back..... I am genuinly going to wait to see if they produce a similar radio with the OPTION of using touch screen or conventional Knobs. Im probably slapping the air..........is it just me?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:44:52 AM by G4HAK » Logged
W3PH

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: August 25, 2016, 05:03:22 AM »

I am genuinly going to wait to see if they produce a similar radio with the OPTION of using touch screen or conventional Knobs. Im probably slapping the air..........is it just me?

Both have their advantages.  My vision is in decline (macular degeneration, etc.) and I find that computer/tablet/radio flatscreen displays are a godsend because they're bright and contrasty.  I have an IC-756 ProIII on the desk, and can no longer read the print under/on the buttons without using a flashlight, but I can make out the display just fine.  I agree when it comes to the tuning knob - clicking the screen and tweaking with the mouse wheel is OK, but having a big knob to turn as you tune around makes me happy.  For me the ideal setup is a mix of both physical and virtual.
G4HAK

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »

Physical and virtual - Yes that sums it up nicely..So with your vision situation have you played with the IC-7300 screen..if so i wonder what was your conclusion? small but managable?
This is really the only reason that I am pausing over the buy it now button. This will probably be my final affordable "Modern radio". I was looking at the TS590/FT950/FT1200DX then this came along and I am inpressed with the spec. Can't afford to wait for the next 2 to 3 thousand pounds radio. (Violins playing....). I really would appreciate any comments having the same thoughts. Unfortunately i am not in a position to view/try at an emporium either!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:49:16 AM by G4HAK » Logged
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: August 25, 2016, 10:55:05 AM »

Physical and virtual - Yes that sums it up nicely..So with your vision situation have you played with the IC-7300 screen..if so i wonder what was your conclusion? small but managable?
This is really the only reason that I am pausing over the buy it now button. This will probably be my final affordable "Modern radio". I was looking at the TS590/FT950/FT1200DX then this came along and I am inpressed with the spec. Can't afford to wait for the next 2 to 3 thousand pounds radio. (Violins playing....). I really would appreciate any comments having the same thoughts. Unfortunately i am not in a position to view/try at an emporium either!

So I have to assume you don't have a smart phone since they all have touch screens.  Think about this, once you set the radio up to your liking you will rarely have to access the touch screen and just use the tuning knob, volume control, and RF gain control while operating.  All of the radios you are looking at have imbedded memory functions that require pressing multiple buttons.  I presently have an IC-7600 as my primary station rig and it is an excellent radio but the touch screen on the IC-7300 is so much easier to use.  I spent a couple of hours playing with one and it is incredibly easy to set up.  I almost bought one but decided to wait for the IC-7610 to be released.
W3PH

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: August 25, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »

So with your vision situation have you played with the IC-7300 screen..if so i wonder what was your conclusion? small but managable?

No - I haven't seen a 7300 in the flesh yet.  From the youtube videos, the screen looks very manageable.  My impression is that Icom does user interface very well.  I came pretty close to ordering a 7300 to play with but decided to wait for the next model.

I'm not seeing many gripes about the 7300's screen - the clicky relay on CW generated a lot more discussion - screen size doesn't seem to be an issue with most 7300 owners.  Judging by the videos, wiith my vision I'd probably be ok with it if I could place it about 12" from my eyes.  I have a Flex Maestro and am able to put that about 18" away, but it has a bigger (8" screen).  With either device, the important text tends to be in a large font, which helps. 
W3PH

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: August 25, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

I presently have an IC-7600 as my primary station rig and it is an excellent radio but the touch screen on the IC-7300 is so much easier to use. 

I have a 756 Pro III, and I've never much liked the on-screen UI, but that's a 10-year-old design from before the smartphone era.  The UI on the IC-7300 looks to be well thought out & efficient. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:41:59 PM by W3PH » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: August 25, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »

The screen is quite small.
There is (or can be) a lot on it.

G4HAK

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: August 25, 2016, 12:01:47 PM »

Ok Many thanks for the comments and thoughts. I actually missed the obvious point about once the parameters are set I probably wont do a great deal of fingering the screen! (except to change bands or mode) Good point! Well I think this a bit of a wake up call for me......I didnt think I would see it but the screen might actually be and advantage when all told.  Anyway I guess the receiver performance sounds like a winner from what I have seen on the figures and sites...and decent audio without fancy microphones....
I appreciate those who will wait until the next model comes out but the price bracket is likely to be out of my ballpark...so.I reckon I'm won over...
Nice comments friends and nice helpful site
Kind Regards
W3PH

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »

Anyway I guess the receiver performance sounds like a winner from what I have seen on the figures and sites...and decent audio without fancy microphones....

I worked a guy on 40 SSB last weekend who had a borrowed IC-7300 that he was using with a homebrew microphone (didn't get details, I presume an electret element since he said it cost him $1 in parts).  He had only had it set up for a few hours and said he felt he had figured out the interface.  The reason I called him was that his audio was really outstanding, really stood out as I tuned across the band.  Seems like a nice radio.  Price, at least from US resellers, has just dropped $100, too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:39:16 PM by W3PH » Logged
G4HAK

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: August 27, 2016, 07:20:41 AM »

No sign of any price drop in the UK yet. Talking to a freind on 40m who has a IC7410 and told me that he thinks it is every bit as good as the 7300 but with a bright monochrome screen instead of the all singing/dancing colour one. Anyone else done this comparison?
G4PNX

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »

No price drop...only the threat of a price increase of 10-15% from the rip off UK dealer network in the near future!!!

Seems the 7300 has had some effect in some quarters tho...Anan/Expert Electronics MB1 prices have taken a bit of a beating...not enuff...just a bit!!

David - G4PNX
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Yesterday at 01:20:41 PM »

I almost bought one but decided to wait for the IC-7610 to be released.
I am in agreement with you on this. I want a contest grade rig and the 7300 doesn't quite make the cut. The 7610 might be the perfect solution.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Yesterday at 05:41:59 PM »

Well, what eactly is the criteria for a "contest grade" radio? Is it size? Price? Number of buttons and knobs on the front panel (even if most of them aren't primarily used in the heat of the contest)?

The Kenwood TS-590SG is considered contest grade in many circles, despite it's price. Per the guru Sherwood numbers, the 7300 is rated higher in receiver performance. It's also small. The 7300 has all the necessary needed controls on the front panel...DSP filter selection, NB, NR, Twin PBT, RIT, Notch, spectrum scope/waterfall, AF/RF gain. SSB transmitter has adjustable bandwidth, equalizer, voice and CW keyer with memories. Plus, your contest logger program performs many radio functions through its keyboard. Receiver performance is the key factor, and the 7300 compares favorably with the top radios on the market, despite the price. The only real difference between it and a 7600 (which I own) is Dual Watch, APF, two RF outputs, and size. Dual Watch in a contest? Personally never use it. APF? Just OK, but not really necessary. You want another RF output? Buy a coaxial switch.

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but this is just my opinion. I think many are influenced by Icom's description of it being an "entry level radio"....can't be "contest grade", can it? I'd like to try it in a major contest, and see for myself. Maybe I'm all wet  Wink

73,  Bob K7JQ
Pages: Prev 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: