The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M vs. Icom 7610 ?  (Read 5049 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »

What level of Tx IMD can we actually hear?    (I am of course referring to those IMD products that fall within the intended audio passband). 

There is no FCC rule on that actual level for Part 97 (Ham) transmitters, I believe, even for all in-band products that are outside of the modulation passband.  FCC 47 part 97.307 just says "must not cause splatter or keyclick interference", whatever level that means.  Any idea what IMD levels a good commercial ham transmitter typically achieves these days?

However FWIW, any and all spurious products of a modern HF Tx, including Intermod and Harmonic distortion of any type that fall *out of band* have to be -43 dBc, according to FCC 47 part 97.307.

73, Ed VE3WGO
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

I'm going to try and present this with as little bias as I can because I don't really have a dog in your purchase hunt.  
73  W9OY

LMAO, the day you are un-biased is the day I will buy another Flexradio.......    Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

He does post pertinent information about both though, haven't seen this from you, but you do whine a lot about Flex every chance you get. How long has it been since you owned one and you still belly ache on every Flex thread you can find.

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »

Thanks Brian.  I live under NDA and I struggle with how detailed to get when describing things for fear of saying too much, while still trying to advance understanding in some way.  My goal is the reader comes out with a little finer appreciation of how the radio/s work, and maybe have a little clearer understanding on how to make a purchase decision, on longevity and obsolescence.  Your explanation was excellent especially regarding the functional signal path.  Knowledge is very much the key.

73  W9OY

Would you recommend an upgrade from the 6300 to the 6400 or 6400M?

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »

Thanks Brian.  I live under NDA and I struggle with how detailed to get when describing things for fear of saying too much, while still trying to advance understanding in some way.  My goal is the reader comes out with a little finer appreciation of how the radio/s work, and maybe have a little clearer understanding on how to make a purchase decision, on longevity and obsolescence.  Your explanation was excellent especially regarding the functional signal path.  Knowledge is very much the key.

73  W9OY

Would you recommend an upgrade from the 6300 to the 6400 or 6400M?

Like anything, "it depends."

Ask yourself what you do with your radio. If you do contesting, weak signal/crowded band DXing then it would probably be worth the upgrade. If you just rag chew or work JT65, I'd say no.

If you want to simply retain value in your radio, I'd say upgrade and trade in via the Flex trade in program.

Personally if I had to get a radio today other than the 6700 (which I have) I would get the 6600 instead of the 6400. I would forego the M model in favor of a standalone maestro. It has two independent receivers and can do things like SO2R and diversity receive which the 6400 cannot do.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2017, 07:46:18 AM »

I am sure that flex makes some good equipment even though I never owned any.  But if ICOM has a real winner in the 7610 they will be hard to compete against due to their deep pockets giving them the ability to hold the prices down while they mass produce thousands of units.
Art
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »

I am sure that flex makes some good equipment even though I never owned any.  But if ICOM has a real winner in the 7610 they will be hard to compete against due to their deep pockets giving them the ability to hold the prices down while they mass produce thousands of units.
Art

No argument;  Icom is going to sell more unit volume, just based on word/exposure/reputation of the IC-7300.
That said, these threads really get silly.    Both Flex and Icom now have enough experience in SDR architecture and the associated
software/firmware, that they both are making really fine radios that any ham can enjoy (well, maybe except for Stan or Zenki).
Each brand will have different strong points and weak points, no different than comparing Ford and Chevy.
But both will make most of their owners very happy campers.

But again, being a larger company, and having made a huge success out of the lower priced 7300, Icom stands to outship any other
SDR radio company by at least 10 to 1.   Again, it's not all-or-nothing.  It's just an observation. They all work well.
No matter if you personally choose an Icom, Flex, Anan, or SunSDR MB-1, you really are going to have a huge amount of fun
compared to an older boat anchor radio.  [You can chase numbers on Sherwood and chase after ultimate perfection, or you can
just get one of these rigs and start chasing contacts.  There is no ONE right answer.  Your choice will be just fine.]

The later part of this year should be very interesting if both the new Flex and Icom ship on time.
We have some really great toys to choose from these days.   But the gear is good enough; We should really turn
our attention to figuring out how to get the Solar Cycle kicked up, else not even an SDR driving a 5 kilowatt transmitter
is going to make any difference for HF :-)

Cheers
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »

KC9NRN

I haven't used the 6400 but it has slightly better specs than the 6300.  It has a little stronger RMDR and has a somewhat better array of I/O including a 10mhz GPIO.  It's basically a budget thing.  I think a factory refurb 6300 is going to be one hell of a deal for someone wanting to give Flex style SDR a whirl.  Personally I never found a situation where the better RMDR would have made any difference given my antenna situation.  If you're into receive antennas like loops and flags and such the extra antenna ports are quite useful especially if your using these extra antennas from a remote device. 

So for me the determining factor would be the kind of station I would be integrating into.  The 6300 can manage 3 possible antennas or 2 and a transverter, the 6400 can manage 4, or 3 and a transverter.  On the other hand there is the joy of owning the latest.  If budget wasn't an issue I would get a 6700.  My main interest is DXing.  If contesting is your main interest a 6600 is your hands down winner.  If you have some xtra ham money, you're happy with your antennas and amp, and want the latest a 6400.  Right now I'm keeping my 6300 as a backup since it drops directly into my software lineup with virtually no changes if I have an issue with my 6700 and it's paid for.     

73  W9OY
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »

The guys at HRO said the 7610 will not be out till October or later...
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 07:23:37 AM »

Why choose now? Buy both, use for awhile, sell the one you like least.

While you're at it, why not burn a big pile of money?
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 08:05:51 AM »

I don't mind spending a bit of money to try new radios.
I have had a DUO, a KX2 a KX3 and a 7300 lately.
I liked the KX2 and may get another at some point.
Its a hobby, I spend money to have fun and try new radios, what is the problem with that?

You don't fish I suppose. Some guys buy a boat and lots of gear, and something to haul the boat with, etc, when they could just go to the store and buy a fish for $20.00....

I often buy used radios (and motorcycles) and lose little money, I have made money on some motorcycles.
Many radios I sell for what I paid and am only out shipping.

Went through a bunch of Ten Tec radios, all the 756 pro series, most of the Elecraft and older flex radios.
Many spend much more just on their towers/antenna's then I ever did in the hobby.

W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 11:49:46 AM »

Looks like I struck a nerve.  Cheesy
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 01:47:04 PM »

Ever see a Brinks truck in a funeral procession?
Money's sole purpose (IMHO) is to ENJOY!

ron
N4UE
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 02:54:48 PM »

ron
N4UE

There are never any Uhauls behind the hearse...

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 03:25:45 PM »

ron
N4UE

+1

I vote for N4UE.
He who dies with the most toys.....   HAD FUN!
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Today at 05:29:36 AM »

No, just a slow day at work.

Looks like I struck a nerve.  Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: