The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tried an IC-7610...  (Read 6758 times)
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »

I have not tried the 7610 yet but do own a 7300 plus just recently sold a FTDX3000 although not a 5K its dsp was similar in real world use. Here are what my findings were at 50Hz the 3000 had no ringing but the overall selectivity compared to the 7300 at 100Hz, clearly the skirts and ultimate filter rejection appeared to be sharper on the Icom with almost no what seemed like key click artifacts on the Icom were the Yaesu would have them if the CW signal was over S9+20db, both radio's used with no pre amp engaged. On SSB again the filtering was sharper on the Icom and the ability to squeak out a rough copy SSB signal when you had adjacent signals within the pass band was better on the Icom but not by a huge amount but it was noticeable enough. Bothe radio's had excellent notch controls but the Icom was easier to adjust. The NB on both radio's are good but you can adjust the Icom so there is now blow by artifacts when strong signals are nearby, the Yaesu failed in this area. The NR was far better in the Icom and you could leave it on without that digital sound like you were slightly under water. Display Icom wins hands down, its not a flex display but they don't claim it to be but useful and very able to change it for the better. Transmit audio is simple an easy and if you are smart enough to use a electric condenser mic on the Icom its real easy to get sounding good but forgetabout it with a dynamic mic to low a level. The Yaesu did have a nice EQ but most ham's have never really use a parametric EQ yet even try to understand it, its way to complicated for the average user. Another point with the Icom is the ALC compared to the Yaesu, you can overdrive the Yaesu's alc very fast and if you run it at half scale ALC you should be good but if driven to full alc and your running a SS amp you will own the band not in a good way. Yaesu thinks that the way they set up the alc makes the radio sound louder yet they don,t really look at how wide the radio gets and the IMD goes in the toilet, its the same on the 5000 and has been that way since the MKV and the Field, the last radio that had decent alc was the old MP's. Icom nailed the use of proper ALC on the 7300 and I would assume that the 7610 is just an up grade over that.

Now for what seems to be the griped of the Icom, they only go out to 3Khz and I hear many newbies bitch about this were the season hams who have been around know that ESSB is like the old power mic days, please you guys that want audio look into AM that is were its at, ssb was never designed for fidelity and the way these radio's are set up there is no issue with Icom logic but they may be not for the ESSB CB types, you just cannot please everyone but find me one 7300 that sounds bad. The Yaesu goes to 4K but the new radio for some ESSB guys is the Flex, for some reason they go to 10K but they also do AM very well compared to the old heavy iron rigs of days past.

I also find another thing on this post were a ham goes into an HRO store which in most locations is surrounded in some sort of shopping mall with all kinds of EMI/RFI around it and with some piss poor antenna setup, belive me I know cause back in the late seventies I ran a store here on LI called Harison Radio, we had some triband beam on a 58' TriEx sky needle which was mostly at 40 most of the time surrounded buy an amusement park next store, banks in front and to the east a large industrial park. When I first started working there I would try radio's out after the store would close and I put the keys into the door and locked it, there were never that many times that I could tell much differences between the radio's there at the store unless the radio was a real POS. But if I brought some of the demo rigs home during a day off like Sunday when the store was close and hooked it up on a CL33 at 40' at home I would he much more in between the different radio's and there designs. The moral of the story is you really cannot make a big assessment between radio's in a store in one afternoon in a noise plagued environment.

Will the 7610 ever sell like the 7300, I would venture to say NO but I think once the street price hits the $3k mark it will do better than the competition. I will have to say for many years I have always leaned to Yaesu in a radio, have owned a few Icoms and Kenwoods in between and one K3, I haven't drank the Koolaide yet and I am not sure if I will cause I strongly feel those radio's are in a constant state of FLUX but when I got this little 7300 6 months ago I bought it for a backup rig but the more I started using this little rig the more I liked it, I can use it for hours like when I used the 3K as well with no headaches from my headphones after a 20 stint in some contest and my eyes don't feel like there squeezed together. Do I want a 7610 well maybe but I would hate to give up the 7300 cause I just do't have as deep of pockets as years gone by, one kid going to school in china and maybe a move down south well the radio takes a little back seat these days maybe down the road but Icom seems to be doing the write thing and the little glitches they may be having seems to be fixed with the newer updates in firmware code. Just my 2 cents.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 12:31:46 PM »

I gave in and now own the 7610 for a little over a weeks time, the user interface is excellent, NB and NR are even better than on my 7300, audio on RX and TX again are a cut above the 7300. Is this radio like having two 7300, hell yes, this has to be one of the best sounding transceivers I have owned to date and I owned and used more than a few with the likes of K3,TS590,FTDX3000&5000,IC7800 and these are just the more recent rigs. I did look at the Flex radio's long and hard but after looking at the UI with either a Maestro or one of the M version rigs I went to the Icom, IMO the Icom has taken there SDR architecture a step further cause this is different than what is used in the 7300 and it shows.
Just like the 7300 when I first hooked it up the 7610 blew me away again and yes I could not wait till Dayton this year, you gotta enjoy things while you still can and yes I am enjoying the new radio!
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 04:39:34 PM »

I gave in and now own the 7610 for a little over a weeks time, the user interface is excellent, NB and NR are even better than on my 7300, audio on RX and TX again are a cut above the 7300. Is this radio like having two 7300, hell yes, this has to be one of the best sounding transceivers I have owned to date and I owned and used more than a few with the likes of K3,TS590,FTDX3000&5000,IC7800 and these are just the more recent rigs. I did look at the Flex radio's long and hard but after looking at the UI with either a Maestro or one of the M version rigs I went to the Icom, IMO the Icom has taken there SDR architecture a step further cause this is different than what is used in the 7300 and it shows.
Just like the 7300 when I first hooked it up the 7610 blew me away again and yes I could not wait till Dayton this year, you gotta enjoy things while you still can and yes I am enjoying the new radio!

I'm glad you're enjoying your 7610. Since you already owned a 7300 it sounds like the 7610 was the perfect choice for you.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: