Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comparisons between the Anan 10 and SunSDR2  (Read 1560 times)
VK6YAE

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:37:08 AM »

Going by the specifications which one ought to be the better?
Price and power are similar...within a couple of hundred dollars..
Anan seems more popular in the US perhaps due to the Hermes platform.
HF bands and SSB only.
Appreciate any comments
Thanks,
Dave
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 04:47:44 AM »

I just bought (but not yet received) the Anan 10 due to Apach Labs having a longer history by which to judge not only its performance but also in having a dedicated following which translates to better support. I also monitored the YahooGroups for a while for each of these radios and came to the same conclusion.

I actually wanted a Flex-1600 (an updated '1500) but such a radio does not exist and is not in the works, according to an email inquiry to Flex.

John AE5X
VK6YAE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »

Did you consider the Zeus as well?
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

Did you consider the Zeus as well?

No, but looking at it now, I wish I had.

John AE5X
VK6YAE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »

Which version of the Anan 10? Tey have a cheaper ANAN 10 E out I heard..
Has it arrived yet?
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »

I reviewed the Zeus ZS-1 specs.  It's USB 2.0 interface is a total game stopper for me. 

73  W9OY

AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »

I thought the same thing.  I also do not like the GUI for it at all.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:48:36 AM »

The more bits  the A/D converter has the better the dynamic range. Thats what delivers the receiver performance.

Anan 10e 14 Bits and the Anan 10 16 bits. The Anan 10 will have better performance.

Then look at the Phase noise performance on RX and TX at close signal spacings like 5khz and below. The lower the phase noise at 1khz the better the receiver will be.

Then look look at the transmitter IMD without pre-distortion. While pre-distortion  can make a huge improvement on TX IMD it can also increase IMD at wider signal spacings.
Its really better to start off with good inherent IMD performance like the Zeus. Then when you add pre-distortion it can also be good at close in and several KHZ away.
Trying to use a pre-distortion to fix a radio with CB PA design is bad engineering practice.

The most critical feature on a SDR is the AGC. A poor AGC can really ruin the performance of a SDR radio. Many SDR radios have a AGC that pumps very large signals and  seem to have a lot of odd artifacts like peak clipping. It takes a tremendous amount of time to get the AGC settings correct that truly replicate the true smooth legacy radio sound.
There are so many design implementation of the AGC in SDR receivers its hard actually knowing what is good or bad unless you measure and use the radio.

Then  the final critical thing is the quality of the audio amplifier and  its inherent distortion and final inband IMD figures. Many SDR radios  have AGC systems that introduce a lot of inband IMD that ruins the final sound of the RX. While sounding quiet the RX  IMD can ruin your ears when listening in noisy static conditions that makes the radio sound busy and noisy.  You can play with the AGC and gain thresholds to neutralize this  effect on most SDR radios to a point where they beat  any legacy radio. You just cant do it with the standard SDR AGC settings.

Another SDR quirk is the smoothing of the S-meter and its readings. Many S-meters on SDR radios although super accurate appear to be very jerky. A lot more work has to be done to make the meter a more accurate peak  or quasi peak in nature that represents a true analogue meter.

Theres no standards for comparing and SDR radios yet.   You will have to be the test guinea pig/ham and report back.

W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:53:07 AM »

IMHO AGC tuning needs to just be a routine part of tuning in a station.  If the station is strong the AGC-T can be adjusted to near FM like quieting.  If the station is weak the AGC can be adjusted to obtain best signal to noise performance by adjusting so there is no AGC action aka maximum gain.  On CW with line noise and a pileup I often turn on the blanker and turn off the AGC completely which eliminates the pumping caused by the pileups wide band transmitter noise.  In the Flex line there is an external program called DDUTIL which behaves as a client to the radio's various data streams and one of the things it decodes is the S meter data stream both as a Avg and  Peak and both as S units and raw numeric -dBm values.  I find this to be a superior way to display of this information.  So far Anan is the only predistortion game in town.  So if that's your interest then buy an Anan.  As far as the ARRL numbers game goes, it's just a game.  All of these radios are virtually uncrunchable

73  W9OY
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:39:15 AM »

The Anan-10E is nearly half the price of the non-E. I ordered the E version and the expected ship date is 9 Feb. SDR is a new realm for me - just dipping my toes in the water and not wanting to spend too much on it for now...that may or may not lead to a better SDR rig later.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:14:58 AM »

It will lead to a better SDR.    You're a dxer and the advantages to a dxer  are obvious.  I worked EP6T on 2 bands using a dipole.  total # of calls=6, because I knew exactly where to place my transmitter.  For the Anan when working split using skimmer put the dx on vfo b and the pileup on vfo a.  Then turn on multi rx and crank up vfo b vol and turn off vfo a vol.  Then you will be able to click around the pileup using skimmer

73  W9OY
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 08:23:13 AM »

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,100506.0.html

Also dont miss this when youu decide you need more power

73 w9oy
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:45:47 PM »

Excellent info - thanks!

John AE5X