The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Flexradio Killer?  (Read 39954 times)
WA7AQH

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Yesterday at 05:10:22 PM »

The Flex 6500 was at the top of my list for my new shack until I saw where Icom is going (again, not specifically with the IC-7300 but what will inevitably be the IC-8500/IC-9500/IC-whatever).  If the risk of a Flex being orphaned is as high as it now appears to me it will be, I won't go down that road. Knowing that I could easily sell it in a couple of years, I may do an IC-7300 as an interim step.

BINGO!!! Multiply your thoughts by XXXXXX number of hams and eHamers will understand why I started this thread and named it Flexradio Killer

The demise of Flexradio has already started and yet Icom has only just started down the SDR highway.

Stan K9IUQ

Since you know the financials of a privately held company could you please expound on their sales? If you know that they are failing so please provide evidence.

Zack N8FNR

I've been very careful to note that my numbers are estimates and the best information I can easily find. I've even said it's hard to get good information on a small privately held company. I could pull a DUNS on them, but I don't want to spend the money.

Here's my sources for what I know (other than the usaspending.gov site, I don't know the sources of info for the first two):

15 employees and $2.5 million in annual revenue show up two places:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmlkhm9/bronze-bear-communications-inc

http://government-contractors.insidegov.com/l/61841/Bronze-Bear-Communications-Inc-in-Austin-TX

Total US government contracts (either as prime or sub) of $16,101.19 since 2000 from two orders: one from the DOD in 2009 and one from Veteran's Affairs in 2013 is from here:

https://www.usaspending.gov/transparency/Pages/RecipientProfile.aspx?DUNSNumber=133541933&FiscalYear=2015

There DUNS number is 133541933 if you want to pay for a report that would give further information.

I've never stated nor even implied that they're failing. My understanding is they're doing quite well right now. Although $2.5 million for 15 employees isn't great, when your product cost beyond staff is very minimal, I'd guess they can make money on that ratio. 

I would love to see Flex succeed; I'm not a Flex basher! I love their product! I just don't see that they have what it takes to compete with a company that's a hundred times their size if (and I'd say with the 7300 it's not if but when) they decide to jump into their playground.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Yesterday at 05:31:06 PM »

I've never stated nor even implied that they're failing. My understanding is they're doing quite well right now. Although $2.5 million for 15 employees isn't great,

Your one link said revenue was $2500000. This is almost unbelievable especially with 15 employees. Only 2 government (total) contracts of only $ 16K SINCE 2000...  Angry  How do they survive with such low sales $$? I wonder if this can be correct, maybe they use another Company name?

IF these figures are correct, it would not take much loss in sales to really hurt this company. 2.5 million sales equals what? About 400 Series 6000 sold. This is probably optimistic. Holding off on your SDR purchase from Flexradio seems to be a very wise decision.

Since you know the financials of a privately held company could you please expound on their sales? If you know that they are failing so please provide evidence.
Zack N8FNR

If the above figures don't make you open your Flex eyes and weep, nothing will..

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:47:16 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Yesterday at 05:40:27 PM »

My concern as a buyer, however, is what happens now that the giant is awake.

Too bad we can not ask: Swan,Hallicrafters, Hammarlund,Atlas,E.F. Johnson,National,Heathkit etc

Stan K9IUQ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Yesterday at 06:53:30 PM »

To my understanding, the Flex 6000 series are actually stand alone SDR driven transceivers, and the only PC "part" needed is the monitor. The "Maestro" accessory only adds a knobs, buttons, and display option to it, much like having a removable faceplate like some mobile rigs out there. A friend of mine demo'd his Flex 6300, and only uses his PC's monitor. After 57 years in ham radio, I still prefer a "normal" transceiver, but I was impressed with its performance.
This seems like an over-simplified view.  A computer in some form is needed to run the GUI software.  Maestro is actually running a form of Windows inside, so it contains an embedded computer.

Thanks. Guess I misunderstood  what he was telling me. I always thought you needed some application/ operation of a computer O/S to run Flex radios.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: