Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CommRadio CR1 and A Simple Softrock Ensemble II  (Read 2792 times)
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Today at 07:53:18 AM »

There is still tremendous interest in a standalone high end receivers. Besides the R&S EK895 there  is no high performance receiver that is readily available to the ham or SWL'er market.

Tremendous interest? Absolutely. We're just not enough of a profit-center for these developers to be concerned about.

Quote from: ZENKI
The last high performance receiver design was the very successful AOR7030  receiver. I still own this receiver and like it a lot.

I'm jealous.

I always wanted to put my hands on one, but even used they command a pretty penny and it's hard to justify the purchase given the age/lack of features I'm looking for.

(( Waving a hand! ))
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Today at 08:06:40 AM »

Roger Roger PITSWL
The 192k will let me see a lot more spectrum than what I'm seeing now from the motherboard sound card in my HP Win7 machine. I only see a small slice and then it drops off the scale on each side of the band scope or waterfall.
Thanks for your replies on this thread. Some folks must have a lot of disposable income or feel that there is a certain dollar barrier that must be obtained before performance improves. Referring to the name of this thread. The ComRadio CR1 is a perfect example of an SDR with many shortcomings and the ARRL not even able to do any of the serious RX tests we would like to see, because of the lousy AGC on that unit, and can not be turned off!! Someone will pay over $500.00US for that?HuhHuh?
I am impressed with my little SoftRock Ensemble II and the present software from a previous link in this thread. The Flex SDR1000, I owned and sold off, was full of birdies and images as I tuned various bands. Pretty much useless. I even had a FireWire Roland FA66 card as one of the approved and tested sound cards on the Power SDR software list!!
The Diamond Extreme ($60.00) has been ordered and I'll report back if I can see more in the band scope and if there is any performance improvements. I do not own any professional test equipment, except for the Elecraft XG3 sig gen, which only goes down to -107dBm. The true test is on the air and in Ham bands battle conditions where high power SSB is 2kc away from the station I am having a QSO. AGC action, filters, BW adjustments, reaction to nearby powerful signals while receiving a weak station, etc ,etc
Good replies here and I appreciate the great input and links. I'm going to enjoy my Ensemble II a lot more now.
Fred
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:41:26 AM »

The 192k will let me see a lot more spectrum than what I'm seeing now from the motherboard sound card in my HP Win7 machine. I only see a small slice and then it drops off the scale on each side of the band scope or waterfall.

I have a laptop that can do 96k, but most seem to only do 48k. The card in that machine actually performed better than the 192k built-in card I was using before the Diamond Xtreme.

Quote from: KC4MOP
Thanks for your replies on this thread.

You're welcome! I just hope you have good results with the XS71HDU.

Some folks must have a lot of disposable income or feel that there is a certain dollar barrier that must be obtained before performance improves.

There's a great degree of personal preference involved. SWL2002 may truly, deeply feel that you would be blown away by the QSR1, to the point you'd be glad you dropped nearly a G on it. And maybe you would. Maybe I would.

Referring to the name of this thread. The ComRadio CR1 is a perfect example of an SDR with many shortcomings and the ARRL not even able to do any of the serious RX tests we would like to see, because of the lousy AGC on that unit, and can not be turned off!! Someone will pay over $500.00US for that?HuhHuh?

With regard to the CR-1, it's an intriguing little radio; it has the advantage [over, for instance, our Ensemble RXIIs] of a display and a VFO such that you can flip it on and monitor without using your PC if you're doing other things and not watching your waterfall too closely. So it offers you something that could justify the price tag, something that, for instance, the QSR1 does not.

I appreciate the great input and links. I'm going to enjoy my Ensemble II a lot more now.

I hope so!

(( Waving a hand! ))
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: