Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about softrock and emu-0202  (Read 4266 times)
N4RMT

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »

OK, so I have a softrock IF lite set at 8.813 MHz for my TS-850.  Well, my rig is somewhere between Clif Holland and me, so in the meantime out of boredom, I connected my antenna to the softrock to listen.  (I know, there's not much there, but you can here Gander transatlantic air traffic just great!   Grin )  My question may only be able to be answered by users of the emu, but everybody feel free to jump in.  When the softrock is running, and connected to the emu, it seems that the right channel knob has little or no effect.  Even if i swap the cables left for right, its still the right channel that behaves this way.  Its downright dumbfounding!  I have posted a couple of videos to help get my message across.  This may be completely normal behavior, I don't know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTarj98tUVY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1CwLGgBw8
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:53:13 AM »

The softrock should be outputting TWO quadrature signals (not audio to listen to), the I and Q which go to the left and right channels of the soundcard input. 

The sound is then mixed and demodulated in the software.. you should be getting audio out of both sides from whatever software your using such as PowerSDR, HDSDR etc.
N4RMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »

I get that.  I was just trying to determine if the behavior of my sound card is normal with softrock use.  You're supposed to be able to use the knobs to reduce imaging by matching the levels of the audio of I and Q.  I'm sure it's me over thinking it like always... 
I notice in power Dr I have images, while in winrad I don't.  So maybe its working fine and I just don't have enough signals in the 8mhz "band" too get the WBIR fired up.  Ill have to wait til my rig arrives to see for sure.  Also, while I've got someone seemingly knowlegable on the line,  will powersdr track my vfo through the IF alone?  I don't have an interface cable yet.  I know I need one to control the rig, but I'm not really interested in that yet.  Just want the panadapter for now.

Thanks
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »

>You're supposed to be able to use the knobs to reduce imaging by matching the levels of the audio of I and Q.

You should not have to do that, the level of the I/Q signals will be already even.

>will powersdr track my vfo through the IF alone?

You can use a customized version called  "PowerSDR I/F" and set it up to tune via a connection to Ham Radio Deluxe.  That will let you tune the radio via PowerSDR using HRD and CAT Control.  That lets you use PowerSDR as a front end panadapter to your radio and have them work in sync.

http://www.wu2x.com/sdr.html
http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-if-stage/

N4RMT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:42:13 AM »

Yeah, I was just wondering if PowerSDR would follow my frequency without CAT a cat connection.  Just want to play around while I wait for my cable.
N5KBP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »

Yeah, I was just wondering if PowerSDR would follow my frequency without CAT a cat connection.  Just want to play around while I wait for my cable.

It needs the cat connection to know where you are. I am running the exact same setup here. 850/softrock 8.815/emu-0202. It works great for me. The only issue is I'm going to have to build a box to ground the audio lines during transmit. You get a little talkback through the if connections. Also you do not have to use Ham radio deluxe with powersdr/if. It has Kenwood cat control built in. It was originally built to work with the ts-940. If you have any questions give me a shout and I'll try to help. My email is good in qrz.
Marty
N5KBP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: