Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR-IQ as Panadaptor for FT-1000MP Mk V  (Read 6192 times)
K8AC

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »

I had some doubts about this when I first read about it, but decided to give it a try.  I'm using the RFSpace SDR-IQ receiver with the FT-1000MP Mk V to produce a panadaptor display on the PC with the RFSpace SpectraVue software.  The result is about as good as using LP-Pan and PowerSDR with the K3 for the same purpose.  There's no IF takeoff point in the FT-1000 and the high IF frequency wouldn't work anyway with this setup (70 MHz or so).  In this case, the SDR-IQ is fed with the antenna connected to the transceiver via the RF Out jack and a magic-T splitter (see W8JI site).  One side of the splitter feeds the SDR-IQ and the other side feeds the RF In jack on the FT-1000MP.  SpectraVue sees the FT-1000 frequency via a serial port and you can tune the FT-1000MP by mousing on a signal on the panadaptor display, as with LP-Pan. The only downside at this point is that you lose the ability for your logging program to read or set transceiver information as there's nothing like LP-Bridge (for the K3 and LP-Pan) to allow you to share the serial connection between the PC and rig.  

The display is far better than any of the hardware implementations I've seen so far (Icom and Yaesu) and gives you a lot of flexibility in controlling the sweep speed, smoothing, etc.  The software comes with the SDR-IQ and you can homebrew the required splitter for around $15 or so depending on your junkbox.  As a bonus, the SDR-IQ is a full-fledged SDR receiver, covering 0 - 30 MHz with detection for all modes, noise blanker, variable bandwidth, etc.  SpectraVue isn't quite in a league with PowerSDR, but has many features that PowerSDR doesn't have.  
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:46:14 AM »

I use a Perseus off the back of my K3 in the same manner. The RF splitter I use is home made, the diagram and measured results are on my K3 page at:
http://www.astromag.co.uk/k3/

Both the K3 and Perseus can be tuned in sync using Ham Radio Deluxe, with one controlling the other, although mostly I don't link them as the frequency readout is good enough to not need to.

An expensive solution, but a brilliant display!

73 Dave
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:18 AM »

I know what the Perseus is, but don't know how it connects to the PC.  I'm wondering what is the communications path between Perseus and SDR-IQ?  Maybe HRD has a separate com port to each or maybe a USB to the Perseus?  The negative to using the SDR-IQ with the Mark V is that the Mark V com port must be connected to the SpectraVue application and so I lose the ability to communicate to the Mark V with my logging program, DXLab.  Perhaps you're using LP-Bridge?

G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:43:33 AM »

Perseus connects via USB to a PC, on the PC you create a virtual comm port with a program such as com0com. You run two sessions of HRD, in one click the "sync" button and pick which radio drives the other one.

The above is a bit of a "workaround" but it does work reliably on my Windows XP machine.

73 Dave
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »

Update: Everything was working fine until I was chasing a new one on 20 CW the other day.  With the SDR-IQ switched into the mix, I experienced a broadband white noise, fed back through the splitter to the RX in of the FT-1000MP.  It wasn't extremely strong, but raised the noise floor enough to make it unacceptable.  In addition, the new beta versions of the SpectraVue software no longer control the FT-1000MP frequency as the current version does.  
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »

There is a program called DDUTIL that was designed to work with PowerSDR that allows a CAT repeater function between 4 other programs and PowerSDR.  The connections are made using a piece of software called vCOM which allow serial ports to be set up as null modems in software.  

DDUTIL does a ton of other stuff but you may be able to use just this repeater function along with vCOM or com0com to do the serial port chores between DDUTIL and the various programs and then use a real serial port to connect between DDUTIL and the external radio

Don't know if it will work, but the programs are GPL

73  W9OY
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »

I looked at the available documentation on those programs some time ago, and found nothing to indicate that one of them would do all the polling and pass the information to multiple virtual com ports.  If you're telling me that can be done (without PowerSDR in the mix), then I might look at it again.  I used another program that mapped two virtual com ports to a single real com port, and that was a non-starter as there was no way to resolve polling conflicts between the two polling applications.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »

I use the program every day to do exactly what you want.  In fact I am using it this minute to connect DXlab's commander and CW skimmer to PowerSDR through virtual com ports using Kenwood TS-2000 protocol CAT commands. I see nothing in the program that would preclude it communicating with a real com port instead of a virtual one.  I have 2 real com ports in my list of choices along with my other 4 virtual ports.  I have no idea if it speaks Yaesu, but I would exptect that to be incident between the controlling programs and the radio, and not part of the port structure.

Whether you want to experiment a little and see if you can make it work for you is your business.

73  W9OY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: