The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Need Help Deciding  (Read 964 times)
KC9LOO

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »

I am going to ask flat out for some help here. I have been a ham for 9 years, my first and only radio is an Icom 737. It went out about 2 months ago, due to medical costs and living mostly on Social Security, I am scraping to save enough to buy another radio. I was thinking entirely of an Icom ProIII, I have never played with any Yaesu or Kenwood. My beloved 737 satisfied me. If I could hear them, I could work them. I wanted to get it fixed, but all of the people I talked to about it said it will probably cost as much or more than the radio is worth, so figure it as a brick.  Cry
  That being said, I can only have one radio. Should it be a 7300 or a ProIII, or maybe the FTdx-3000 of which I know nothing about? I realize my problems do not interest you, but unfortunately I have a hard choice to make, and would appreciate any help you could give. I am mostly just a ragchewer, but love DX on 20 meter.

Thanks, Mike KC9LOO
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »

Hi. I'm also retired and understand your situation.
I have a lot of every brand of radios but Icom is my go to brand.
I am curious who said it was unfixable? Have you tried talking to Scott at Malcolm Technical Services (MTS)?
You can get his info here in the 'reviews' section. It may be something simple or it could be the infamous "bad trimmer" issue.
Wouldn't hurt to ask. Also Mike Nadeau in Maine is another Icom guru.
However, if you just want a new radio, I can vote for the Icom PROIII. I have the original PRO that I purchased in Japan the week they were announced and I really like it. I have also just purchased the new 7300 just to get my feet wet in SDRs. It's awesome as well...... It's smaller and I can't wait for the larger follow on models...... when they appear.

ron
N4UE
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:19:16 PM »

Hi Mike

Do you work SSB, DX CW?
The choise of a radio should also be based on your wishes and your use.

For SSB RX the Kenwood TS590SG has wonderfull ears.
My TS590S has great ears and filtering in SSB,
do not like the CW RX audio on my TS590S at all, that is most disturbing factor for me in the TS590S , do not know how the updated TS590SG sounds in CW RX.

Do you like the colour screen the waterfall etc, all personal things.
I do not give a thing about apearences of my rig as I tend to listen to it instead of watching it hihi.
I do not need a build in ATU , I have build a good tuner myself, an internal tuner will not tune my ladderline fed dipole, do not need computer interfacing, havent even got a computer in the shack, do not need 2 antenna ports build my own antenna switch , do not need RX antenna entrance , its build in my homebrew antenna switch so now even my FT857D has an RX antenna that is automaticly switched by the rig to the TX antenna.

For a simple new rig with a good RX the TS480S, it is certainly an older model , but not bad at all, you can buy optional SSB or CW filters and then it realy is a good rig.
Not new not very modern, but do think that a bit more dated has advantages to.

i work CW most of the time, and I can not say i ever met a station in my country using an Icom 756, 7600, 7700 or 7800 in CW, i almost never hear a CW station on 80 even using a modern Icom of age younger then 5 yrs.  
The most rigs i hear are the TS480SAT and some Elecraft K3's , also some TS850's and older rigs like IC728, IC730 and portable a lot of Yaesus FT857 or FT897.

IF DSP and or SDR have their problems too , its not all joohee and hosanna .

People often think of the rig as the most important aspect of their hamstation, well it isn't by far.
Most important things in a ham station are the used antennas and where these antennas are used in a very silent surrounding or a noisy city surrounding and ofcourse the skill of the operator is very important.

for the IC7300 it is just for sale now for a few month and all reviews are like it is the best thing since the invention of black yarn, just wait 2 yrs and you will see far more realistic reviews and or if there are growing pains in this rig.

It is a totaly new radio on the market and the first SDR based rig of the big 3 Japanese compagnies, I can not say they are not inventive at Icom.

I have heard it life and seen it for real, it surely looks great.
But again I will certainly wait for another 2 yrs to see how good this nice little thing realy is.

Good luck, and I hope your health is OK again Mike.

73 Jos  

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »

I went to great pains to pick out an automobile once. I took the family along for a test drive and none of us liked it, not even myself after all my painstaking calculations and info gathering. It's probably going to be similar with your next radio. You will know when you are in front of the right one, no?
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »

I had good results from Icom Service Center Michigan. 
http://www.sarts1.com/

Drop him a line.
Check his reviews on eham.

GL
KA9CCH
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »

What does your IC-737 not do? Did you talk about the symptoms with genuine service shops, or just asked around? There are some typical failure modes that may be relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. Others may make it a genuine brick impossible to fix.

Otherwise, if you can scrape up the money I think I would go for a 7300 or the Yaesu as opposed to a Pro III, simply because they're new designs which will continue to be fixable for some time (unless you fall into a good Pro III deal). The Yaesu has some features over the 7300 like the multiple antenna connectors, u-Tune option, etc, which may or may not be of use to you. The 7300 is the current darling with the allure of that SDR waterfall display, touchscreen menus (more intuitive?), but potentially has overload issues on very strong signals(?).

If you can demo them give a listen first before deciding. For me (an EE by profession) I'd prefer the 7300, just from the SDR technology standpoint.

Jim K6JH
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »

If I was retired and on a limited budget I would get the 7300.  The Warranty alone would be a major deciding factor.
I love the ProIII and if I had unlimited cash I might have a bit of hard time deciding, the ProIII build quality is vastly superior to the 7300 and even the 7600 but it's an older radio with no warranty.  The one thing you don't want to have happen is you get a second hand radio and it dies a month later and your out of that hard earned cash.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KC9LOO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:18 PM »

Hi. I'm also retired and understand your situation.
I have a lot of every brand of radios but Icom is my go to brand.
I am curious who said it was unfixable? Have you tried talking to Scott at Malcolm Technical Services (MTS)?
You can get his info here in the 'reviews' section. It may be something simple or it could be the infamous "bad trimmer" issue.
Wouldn't hurt to ask. Also Mike Nadeau in Maine is another Icom guru.
However, if you just want a new radio, I can vote for the Icom PROIII. I have the original PRO that I purchased in Japan the week they were announced and I really like it. I have also just purchased the new 7300 just to get my feet wet in SDRs. It's awesome as well...... It's smaller and I can't wait for the larger follow on models...... when they appear.

ron
N4UE

Ron, nobody said it was unfixable, just that with shipping and labor prices along with whatever parts would be needed probably would exceed the value of the radio. I wish I had some training in radio repair, I would attempt it myself. But I just don't have it.
  Any authorized Icom repair facility is not allowed to work on any Icom radio older than 10 years after the date of last build on the model. That is what Matt, in Michigan told me.
  I plan on keeping it and getting it fixed, just because of sentimental reasons. But getting a radio newer and in working order is probably going to come first.

I want to thank everyone for the replies and info. I like the new 7300, but it is a new concept and I really don't want to wait a year or so to see what they turn out like.
It will be about another couple of months before I have enough money to purchase anything, so I guess I have enough time to sort it all out. But it sure is tough to be without a radio.
I mostly just ragchew and work DX, but when you use a radio everyday and all of a sudden that stops, it leaves you feeling antsy.

I am not dumb and can solve some problems, I have a nice soldering station along with a nice DMM, but that is about it for test equipment. I may try starting a new thread and seeing if someone could point me in the right direction to repair my 737.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the replies. For right now, but subject to change, I think if I can find the right ProIII that is what I will be shooting for.

Mike,   KC9LOO
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:44:25 PM »

Another new rig that gets reasonable reviews is the Kenwood TS-590SG.

Jim K6JH
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:03:54 AM »

Another new rig that gets reasonable reviews is the Kenwood TS-590SG.

The IC-7300 and TS-590SG are both very fine radios.

The thing that really sealed the deal with the Icom for me is that our official national service centre is just 5 minutes drive from work.  We get a full 5 year warranty on Icom gear too, and having previously had a radio repaired free of charge and very promptly (even over christmas) when I did an 'oppsie', I just couldn't bring myself to buy any other brand of radio.

Sure, there are Kenwood service agents about, but every time I have needed a spare, (a LCD for a UHF CB, and a new speaker for an IC-7000), Icom have had it in stock at a very very fair price. 

Maybe I am old school, but that kind of service really impresses me.  The fact the IC-7300 was incredibly good value when you add up all the features was really a bonus!

And yes, Icom Australia still does component level repair!  They will even work on 10+ year old models as long as you are willing to pay a higher (rightly so) hourly fee.

I guess my point is, when deciding what model to buy, it is definitely worth while to check the warranty terms and length, and find out whether or not their is a good service centre nearby.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:10:58 AM by VK3BL » Logged

VK3BL / VK3HXT / XU7AGA - http://vk3hxt.wordpress.com
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:33:55 PM »

Used ICOM 737 radios go for around $450 here on eham.

Before buying a new radio I read the QST reviews and check the Sherwood Engineering test data.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: