The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icoms new IC-7610 Revealed  (Read 15657 times)
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »

Dual Watch is NOT two receivers. With Dual Watch, you get both received frequencies simultaneously in both ears, NOT one in the left ear and one in the right ear. It has a balance control to try to adjust for the dominant signal you want to hear.  To my ears (no pun intended), it's quite confusing. Especially when working split on a DX station and guys are still calling on the DX station's frequency. Others may feel differently. Rob points out "once mastered". Guess I never mastered it  Cheesy  Then again, most of my operating is contesting, and it's totally useless for that.

73,  Bob K7JQ

Thank you for the clarification Bob, dual receivers I have. Again, invaluable for sneaking in a DX contact.

Agreed. Two receivers using each ear separately is much better for that, and operating SO2V in contests.
W2NER

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »

I can't wait to get mine, I have it already on reserve.  My 7600 is just waiting for company.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2016, 04:18:04 AM »

Lets hope that it has a 50 volt FET PA with superb transmitter IMD.

A Direct sampling receiver SDR radio should also have a  calibrated S-meter.

Maybe Icom will deliver these  2 improvements in features that most SDR radios can deliver.

Icom will be the only DDC maker who cant seem to figure out how to put a calibrated S-meter on a direct sampling radio. Maybe they can buy an ADAT, Perseus, or FDM Duo to try and learn how they can achieve such a simple thing! Heck even the 150 dollar SDR play can do it why cant Icom?

The Icom 7610 will be a superb radio if Icom does the design properly. Not having a clean transmitter and calibrated S-meter would be design stupidity in this day and age
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:21:48 AM by ZENKI » Logged
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »

Which S meter calibration levels would you use.  There are many standards beside 50uV at S9. At the lower scale how many dB from S1 to S3? 2 dB or 3 dB?

Unless you take the mic. gain control out of the radio and hard wire the microphone the IMD is not worth worrying about.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »

With SDR technology any standard is possible. Its only a reference point.

50 microvolts for S9  is fine with 3db accuracy for general purpose use. It would at least give enough accuracy for everyday ham activities.

The DBuv scale is more useful and accurate. A default back to Dbm would also be useful. Again all possible on the SDR platform.

A more important calibration scale these days would  a 9khz EMC defined bandwidth with a Quasi Peak or Average DbUV calibration scale.

This would be very useful for hams for quick on the run  radiated emissions measurements. If we used say a 1 meter loop with a known Antenna Factor we could document and report all these lousy crap equipment that is causing hams so much trouble these days.

SDR radios can deliver all these S-meter calibration scales that you want for no extra costs.

Regardless of the calibration scale, we need  any accuracy  reference, its certainly better than none.

Which S meter calibration levels would you use.  There are many standards beside 50uV at S9. At the lower scale how many dB from S1 to S3? 2 dB or 3 dB?

Unless you take the mic. gain control out of the radio and hard wire the microphone the IMD is not worth worrying about.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

A Direct sampling receiver SDR radio should also have a  calibrated S-meter.

Icom will be the only DDC maker who cant seem to figure out how to put a calibrated S-meter on a direct sampling radio. Maybe they can buy an ADAT, Perseus, or FDM Duo to try and learn how they can achieve such a simple thing! Heck even the 150 dollar SDR play can do it why cant Icom?

Today's revision (v1.1) of the SDRUno software for the $129 SDRPlay receiver has a checkbox if you want to use the IARU Region 1  S-meter calibration standard. Not sure what you get if it's not checked. Flex radios have calibrated S-meters too. You'd think all radios would have reliable S-meters... 80+ years after they were invented.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »

The problem with calibrated S meters is what is the antenna standard?

Buddy Pole on a tripod?

Dipole or vertical?

Loop or Fan Dipole?

Inverted L or OCFD?

Quad or Maxon antenna?

3,4,5 6 element SteppIR?

Sturba Curtain?

One or two preamps?

RG-58 all the way up to 7/8 Heliax.

All the combinations will at some point provide 50uV at the receiver port but to say your signal is better today then yesterday depends on many factors. The only thing I require out of an S meters as if it moves to the right the signal get stronger.

I hope the vertical dB spectrum display is accurate on the vertical scale with expanded amplitue and frequency expansion. It would be nice if the readout could read dBm.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 11:36:13 AM »

Hi

The standard for S9 was 50 uV at the antenna connector of the rig.
nobody ever said that it was only with that antenna.

for Zenki dream on baby .
I am sure it just will be an of the shelf 13.8 Volt RF amp they will use.
Maybe even the unchanged amp from the IC7600.
Like Yaesu did with the FTDX1200 even using the same tuner and RF amp and diecast chassis that was used in the FT950. 

Just the same old wine in new bags.

73 Jos
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: