The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many radios does it take for a person to have too many?  (Read 60177 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »

I have around 40 radios, that is 35 too many.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »

Eric/N8AUC,

And having more dollars than wives is good too. Not one dollar will ever talk back nor nag me.

73 and wear that seat belt.

Kraus
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »

I had a 10' x 20' shack pretty much filled up with radios in various stages of working [or not] and test equipment. It all got stolen... that was years ago and I still miss it all so I can't rationally answer the OP's question... nope, being rational and radios is two whole other things...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KG7FIU

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:12 PM »

Posted a little story related to this theme a couple years ago.  Some hams didn't like it too much.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,105709.0.html

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »

KG7FIU, interesting and enlightening post.

OK, I decided to downsize.  Sold the TS570D, sold the IC910H.  That leaves 2 x FT817ND, a TS520S, TS480SAT, Flex 5000  fully loaded with 2nd RX and ATU and V/U module, an MTR3B and a couple of simple transceiver kits that are either complete or midway through construction.  Plus a VX6R and an HTX10 and 2 x HTX-252 2 meter rigs for APRS, also collecting dust.  Still too much.

I am giving serious thought to selling the TS480SAT.  I kept it as a backup if the Flex has to go to the shop for repairs, and the 480 simply excels for remote and mobile operation, but it is collecting dust.  The FT817ND are just too versatile to part with, plus I won't get much for them if I sell them.  And they work fine for mobile operationalso (I don't normally get into pileups when driving, so QRP on HF is just fine for me).

I have debated selling the TS520S, as it gets little use, but I still have it for sentimental reasons.

Probably will sell both, make some room in the shack...not for more gear but for space to move around and reduce clutter.

OK, still too
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »

You are getting close to too many when you start lying to others about how many you have.
When you start lying to yourself, you're a full fledged addict.
I see it every day at work. Most commonly alcohol, heroin, crack, or cats are involved.

In finale stages, one's  too far gone to know how many.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »

One can never have too many cats.

Henry loves to sit on the desk right in my face when I try to pass vital, important, critical ham radio traffic.

I am strict however. I won't let him operate. He hasn't a license.

On 18.087MHz, Morse, 2200UTC. Won't you join me?

Kraus

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

No more than 200, tops!!!  Roll Eyes
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2017, 01:53:28 AM »

Since the original post was about Radios and NOT drugs or alcoholism I will say that at present I own 50 or so   
  in working and non-working condition. The non-working rigs being the lesser amount likely 10%.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

A few years ago (2013), I had about 30 or so various radios, all working, all vintage. Plus another dozen modern radios like FlexRadio and new Alpha amps. And that does not include the radios I had at my workplace, which was a restoration shop. However, now I have less than a dozen. Why? I moved. I went from a house in the suburbs where I lived alone, to a co-op apartment in NYC with a roommate. My room is also my shack. Yikes!

So now what I do I pick and chose carefully, and I turn-over radios a lot. I try something I hadn't had before, restore it, sell it and move on. This way I get to do my restorations, use a "new" or different radio, and then start over. I also allow others to get nice examples of well tested nicely restored radios. The only problem is sometimes I sell thing I regret, like my very mint Clegg Zeus/InterceptorB or my B&W 5100B. However, I did get huge offers for them so they had to go.

Now it's my Gates M-5078 Transmitter which is getting offers. I had someone offered me a mint T-368 Transmitter in exchange. I thought they were joking, but they were serious. I didn't take the offer, and besides that thing is a beast. However, the Gates is so rare (it may be the only example still in existence) I do not think this will be a transmitter I will part with.

So you can have hundreds of radios, just not at the same time. I kinda like this method, and the clutter is very manageable.

Yeah ... I had a station at work. Here's a link to a pic of the vintage gear there, the modern radios were on another bench across the room ... (and the vintage station got bigger after this).

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/images/station042011bsm.jpg

John, W2WDX

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 07:05:46 AM »

Two are enough for me.

Maybe three, if I ever get around to playing on 220MHz.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: