The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong With Alinco?  (Read 17915 times)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »

Yeah, and they did produce the 220/900 MHz handheld for a while.  Turned out to be a slow seller, so they stopped.  Have to give them a ton of credit, though.
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:39 AM »

The DR-605 dual band transceivers suffered from flakey frequency knob encoders, mic cables that quickly fell apart, and PTT switches louder than the relays in old tube amplifiers, leaving many users with a bad impression of Alinco quality. 
Pretty much sums it up.
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 04:14:46 AM »

It seems there has always been an odd man in the group.  From what I remember it was KDK/Santec from the late 70s into the 80s.  Then there was Azden and then there was Alinco.  The other two never released an HF rig that I was aware of.  They dabbled in the VHF/UHF HT and mobile business.  Alinco started that way and they have added products over the years.  I expected them to be gone after a few years like the other two.
Don't forget ADI/Pryme. Their stuff was junkier than Alinco's. Now we have the Chinese rigs, which are worse than ADI.
N2IIE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »

I can't complain about Alinco. I have a 20 year old DR-112 2 Meter Mobile that just keeps on working w/o any problems. I just purchased a DX-SR8T for my F-150. The LARGE display is easy to see and the menus are only 1 level deep. It's very easy to use. I'm using the optional separation cable and the body of the rig is under the rear passenger seat. I just can't complain about the Alinco products.

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »

About 10 years ago I bought a DJ-S11 2m handheld on closeout from the local Fry's. for $35, I think. The attractive feature was that it uses 3 AA cells. The rated output at 4.5vdc is 360mW, but I find it handy for line of sight. Truly a shirt pocket rig.

The DJ-S11 is a *much* better rig than my 2 Jingtong JT-208s. One of those I bought on eBay, and the second was a freebie; I twisted my own arm and went ahead and accepted it. I still need to drill the hole in the case on the front panel to uncover the electret mike on that one. As if I'd ever use it for a QSO with a ham other than my wife.

Ted, KX4OM
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 10:32:59 PM »

A couple of years ago when I first got my ticket (passed both tech and gen on same day), I was considering the Alinco. The lack of six meters and the other small drawbacks which have all ready been mentioned was troubling to me.

But what really put me off was their website. At that time, I found it very unfriendly and very ugly and rudimentary compared to Yaesu's and Icom's nice sites.

Impressions matter. Especially in business.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: