Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Floor Shack set-up  (Read 2230 times)
KB6ISR

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2001, 12:03:59 AM »

Beginner wants to know!  Planning to set up radio shack in vacant 2nd floor bedroom. What problems
should I expect?  Room already has separate 30 amp outlet and access to a cold water pipe . ( for grounding??) Lots of room on roof for antenna(s).  Also, handicap prevents my working on roof and other limitations. Are there professional companies (particular with Amateur Radio knowledge) that provide installion services. Please excuse these basic questions. Thank you

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2001, 10:22:00 PM »

Hi,

A dedicated room for the station !
That is a luxury some of us do not have !

For starters, we need more info from you to help.

Will you be on hf, vhf, uhf or all ?

Do you have any equipment or antenna ?

Here is a link for you to get in touch with local radio
clubs in your area (over 20)
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml

If you can order in pizza, you can get your antenna
and feedline installed !

Lots of hams out there ready to help you out for the
asking (and some pizza ! or whatever you like to eat !)

Please post back and let us know what you want to do.

73 clay
KB6ISR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2001, 08:30:52 PM »

Thank you for response. Some added information..as of now I hold a Tech Plus license obtain some years ago, however because of an illness, never pursued the oppurtunityto learn Amateur Radio hobby. Now after 6 years of kidney Dialysis and a successful Kidney transplant...I have the time and desirse to pursue that hobby. The room I intend to turn into a shack is the one that I had used for the home dialysis. It has a dedicated wiring and water pipes which I was hoping would benefit the shack requirement. If it fulfils grounding requirements. It's a two story home and I was hoping to attach an antenna on the roof or chimmney and route the feedline through the attic ceiling (or through the wall)?. Right now I am preparing for a General License up grade and would like to operate CWand DX. I have not purchased any equipment as of yet and I am leaning toward the Ten Tec Jupiter, all equipment selection is up in the air. I am also checking the available clubs in the area. Thank you
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2001, 08:40:41 PM »

I've had second floor shacks before.  First of all, unless the house is very old, chances are the metal cold water pipe doesn't go into the ground at all.  It likely is spliced to PVC or such for the underground run.  So, you may or may not have the ground you think you do.  Second, even if the pipe does go into the ground, it does so many feet from your shack.  So, on the higher bands,say 20 thru 10, you may have a quarter wavelength or more of pipe before the ground point.  Such a ground isn't a ground at all, but a fairly good antenna.  Anyway, make do with what you have.  If you determine that the water pipe doesn't go into the ground,have someone install a ground rod for you and run the ground wire up the side of the house and come in through the wall with it.  Don't forget- electrical code suggests all your grounds be tied together.  So - make sure this ground is connected to the ground for your electrical service.  An easy thing to do if it's close to where your shack will be.  

There are a lot of easy ways to get antenna feedlines into a second floor shack without new holes in the wall or ceilings.  If you have a double hung window (upper and lower that can be raised/lowered), you can simply raise the lower window, run the feedline through, and stuff rags or insulation in the gap (not very elegant!).  That comment was for coax.  If you're using open wire feedline or a single wire, you can buy a flat strip of insulated wire with a clip at each end and then the window can be closed on that strip with the feedline attached to each end.  Another techinque that's useful with a multi-pane window: replace one of the glass panes with a clear acrylic piece.  You can then drill holes in it and mount feedthru insulators, or use rubber grommets for coax.  You can also use a coax bulkhead feedthru and then screw a coax connector into each end.  If you don't mind putting a hole in the side of the house, you can buy electrical wiring components at a home improvment store that you can use to provide a 2 inch or so plastic or metal pipe from the outside to the inside wall.  For the outside, you can buy a weatherproof hood that faces downwards.  You then stuff each end with fiberglass insulation and you have a weather/wind proof seal.  Regarding the ground again, in most cases it serves as an electrical safety measure and does nothing for the antennas.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: