Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Contest Station Location - What Would You DO?  (Read 799 times)
K7XC

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2002, 02:46:45 PM »

Hi Gang,

I'm in the process of buying a contesters dream...

20 acres atop a high spot in the center of a large valley. No CC&R's, No Trees, No Weeds, No close neighbors, 3 bedroom home with a 20' x 60' barn that contains a small CAT dozer, John Deer Tractor, and a 65' Jeep CJ!

It a standard 660 x 1330 20 acre lot with the 660' running N/S along the paved road (Western Side of lot). The 1330' runs E/W with no neighbors to the East for 3/4 mile!

The house and barn are 200' in from the road on the Western side of the lot.

With that layout in mind... What would you do to create a competitive HF/VHF contest station?

I have some definant ideas but I'm curious what some of you would do with the same opportunity?

Yes, I am single and do have some funds to develope the station but plan to use elbow grease and my ability to scrounge more than my checkbook.

Any pet projects, killer low band wire ants, phased verticals, you have in mind but cant do due to time or space restrictions, pass em along.

Thanks!

Tim Marek - K7XC - DM09ol
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 05:54:34 AM »

Well, let's see.......A tower on every corner with a beam at a minimum of 100ft. with a MONSTER loop strung from tower to tower.
At least use all that room for a 160m horizontal loop AHAP-as high as possible- regard less of theory and naysayers, those things work!
Good luck es 73 de Matt, kf4zgz

" The best antenna is the one you build yourself!"
KG4OHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 12:54:55 PM »

It sounds like you'll be living every Operator's dream;  A high clear, location with lots of space for an antenna farm.

I would think that anything you might install would probably work to it's best capability based on this near ideal location.

The only thing better would be a mountain top/high bluff over looking the ocean.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2002, 01:16:23 AM »

Don't forget grounding all those new neat towers and antennas.......  Any time you open a trench for any reason, have fill hauled in, or whatever, put some bare copper wire in the trench, and attach to your Ground System.   This need not be a real expensive operation. USED copper wire (with the insulation removed) is as good as new for this. I SILVER SOLDER all joints. This is much cheaper than buying special connectors. (Lead/tin solder should NOT be used underground) Silver Solder can be obtained from welding shops who sell it to plumbers for repair of commercial refridgeration systems. It's nickname is "Silfoss" I think it is about 15% silver.....  A common "propane" hand held torch, BUT using "MAPP" gas (about 5 bucks a bottle) works great to make the solder joint.)  Check the POLYPHASER website under tech notes for more info on grounding. Good Luck!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: