Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minimum power supply needed for ICOM-2100H  (Read 2009 times)
KC8NWX

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2000, 10:27:44 PM »

Ok, I've got an icom 2100h mobile radio, and with winter coming up, using it in the car alone just isn't going to get it.  I'm extremely strapped for cash right now, but I need to get this thing inside.  I'm rather new to amateur radio, and I have almost no experience with equipment other than putting this and an antenna in my car.  What am I going to have to use for a power supply?  I've heard that for me to run this at 55 watts, I'm going to need at least 12 amps, but that just doesn't sound right.  Seems like too much of a power requirement for just 55 watts.

At this point, I'd be happy running at either 5 or 10 watts.  Five watts would easily get me into the local repeaters, and maybe a little further off.  What should I look for minimum for this?  Any experience you can pass on, or any information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, if anyone has something extremely cheap that they don't need, send me an e-mail.  implosion@hotmail.com

Dave
KC8NWX
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2000, 09:55:33 AM »

Hi,
  I just got a 2100 and love it. I just checked and at 55 watts it uses 9 amps. On 5 watts, 2 1/2 amps and at 10, 4 amps. I use an Astron RS-20m power supply, it easily handles that rig, a 706MkII and a TS-450 (all in receive mode) just fine. Get a 20 amp Power supply and you'll be set, even for when you get another rig in the shack later. Hope this helps. 73 de Tom - KB2SMS

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2001, 07:42:54 PM »

www.antennex.com

has story in workshop section for
using surplus computer switching power supplies.

If you have an older pc supply around,
you can use it to power you rig on low power.

check it out, it can help you out for the winter.

73 walt.
WB9JIC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2001, 12:22:57 AM »

The cheapest power supply that I have found for an application like this is an old car battery.  A battery that won't start your car may still provide plenty of power to run a radio.  I have used car, truck and lawn tractor batteries to power ham gear.  A standard car battery charger can be used to keep the battery charged.

If you don't have a real battery charger, you can make a trickle charger from a 13 volt or higher power supply and suitable dropping resistor.  The power supply will only need to source a couple of hundred milliamps to keep the battery charged.

A car battery will probably have acid on the outside of the case.  Be sure to clean the case with a baking soda/water solution to neutralize any acid.  The ARRL Handbook has a section on maintaining and using battery supplies safely.

Last October, I used a car battery to power an Icom 2100H and a 706MKIIG for Jamboree on the Air.  The battery was a junker from my truck.  Both radios were able to be operated at full power from the battery for the duration of the event.
NW0LF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2001, 11:44:25 PM »

I picked up a Stabylex 15A presision regulated power supply at a swapmeet for $40.  I run an ICOM 27H at full power(45w) and am net control for a traffic net, using the radio hard at full power for an hour at a time and the power supply stays absolutely cool to the touch.  Probably because the casing is all heatsink.  Bargains are available if you take the time to look.

73, Tom K9WLF
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2001, 08:34:18 AM »

Being a power supply designer and reviewed all products available, get the Astron RS-20. I have viewed many for sale at $50. You will be set up for any rig. I drew 24 amps before the RS-20 lost regulation. At 23 amps, the power was clean (20mv ripple) and voltage was stable!
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2001, 09:37:13 PM »

I also checked the current consumption of the 2100H transmitting on high power.  With a very cheap ammeter I found it to draw approximatly 9.5 amps on high power.

I have a RS-35M power supply that I could use for the radio, but it would be overkill.  Instead, I use my RS-7A power supply and keep the power set to low - you'd be surprised how well 5-10W can do.  If I want to TX on high power, I hook a 7 amp hour gell cell battery in parallel with the power supply and it does just fine.

Dan
dan@ab0re.com
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2001, 03:07:40 PM »

Always plan for some over kill. If the rig requires 9.5 amps at full power don't purchase a 10 amp supply. The RS20 (20 amp)as others suggest would be my choice. A word to the wise about Ham Radio gear, don't believe the specifications..unless you have information from others you can trust to confirm the information they publish. I always figure about 50% of what is claimed.
EI4HQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2001, 09:39:23 AM »

Don't know too much about the IC2001H although the ICOM spec. sheet specifies 12amps for it...

However I have run a TS450SAT at full duty cycle (100watts) CW for years in my shack using a car battery charged from the mains. Its never given me any trouble whatsoever and there is the advantage of never having to worry about high voltage spikes.

I used operate /MM (merchant navy) and this is where the idea came from - when I came ashore I just couldn't see any point in spending money on a mains PSU when what I had worked perfectly...

I work alot of contests & in those situations I just add 1 or 2 further (charged) batteries in parallel to get me through the weekends operating. For normal Dx activity one is plenty tho... 3 x batteries, 1 x charger = much less than a good 30A psu and I get continuous operation on those winter nights when we lose power Shocked)
Cormac, EI4HQ
MOSSE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2002, 11:06:05 AM »

Hmm what exactly is dropping resistor? I am interested this suggestion of using car battery with charger..The google hit your topic here =) Please give more info about it...
/Mosse (Finland)
KE4FES

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2002, 01:07:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: