Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deciding between ICOM 775dsp and Yaesu FT1000MP Fe  (Read 2444 times)
WS4V

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2002, 09:19:58 PM »

Hello to all. I am trying to decide on whether the ICOM 775dsp or FT1000MP Field would be a better buy for the radio. The Field is currently around $1999 to 2200 depending on the dealer whereas the ICOM 775dsp runs near $3000. I hear reports that the FIELD has a bad digital display (not very bright and dull appearance) (and truly is not LCD); on the other hand the LCD display on the 775 is large and very readable. I also like the S meter on the 775 instead of the bar graph on the Field. But then again, the FIELD has "newer" DSP. Also, the 775dsp is 200w -vs- the Field's 100 watts.
I saw the MK V but was not impressed with having to set up the rinky dink Yaesu power supply right new to the rig. Plus, I thought the heatsink was a little bizarre looking.
Also, if I go with the 775dsp I don't know if it would really be worth it since I also own a 781. (of course, no DSP in that! Everything is a trade-off!)
Does anyone have any comments on either the 775 or the Field? I've read all the eham reviews of both and I realize it depends on the user but I'd like to hear other opinions of those who may own both or those who have done an A/B test on either.

Thanks to all and 73!
Tnx and 73.
KG6IKQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 05:48:44 PM »

Though I don't own either of the radios you're comparing, I share your pain.  I too, have been lamenting as to which radio to buy for my first upgrade from my trusty FT-101E.

Long story short..., I'm opting for the 'Field'.  The display problem already is being fixed should you bring it back to the store. New models will no doubt have a nice bright display.  The rig also has the look I can live with, though I would prefer the analog meter as well. Possibly the most important reason for my decision is the price.  I don't see $1000 more radio in the IC0-775DSP over the 'Field'.

Note: The FT-1000 MP MARK-V Field does not have the funky exposed heat sinks.
KC5UN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 06:34:20 PM »

I don't have a Mark V Field, but I've had an IC-775DSP since 1995. I really have enjoyed the '775 over the years, and it never has given me a minute of trouble.

The fact that I've had the radio for almost seven years is telling -- it's probably a 1994 design.  It was one of the first mainstream ham rigs that incorporated IF DSP noise reduction and notch filtering (with conventional crystal filters in both IFs).  The DSP system in the '775 works very well, but I'd be surprised if the newer rigs' DSP isn't better. (I am not one of those hams who thinks all new equipment is crap, and no good receivers have been made since Hallicrafters went out of business.) The older 'top-of-the-line' solid-state rigs like the FT-1000D, TS-950SDX, IC-775DSP, and IC-781 still hold their own, although it's getting harder to justify the price differential based on performance alone.

One thing that the '775 has over the two Mark V models is the 200w (continuous duty) transmitter and built-in power supply. Neither of the Yaesus has both. Running the digital modes at 30-40w barely warms it up.

Fortunately, I think you'll be happy with either of them.  It's pretty hard to buy a 'bad' radio these days.

Tom, KC5UN
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2002, 08:54:28 PM »

If DSP is an issue, start you line of inquiry with regards to the chips that drive dsp.  
1) Who makes the chip.
2) Processing speed.
3) How many bits (16? or 32?)
You get the idea.  Go to the Analog Devices website and you will find some interesting reading.  I believe they sell dsp chips to MFJ and Ten-Tec.
N7XM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2002, 03:07:07 AM »

I favor the IC 775DSP  which can be
had for $ 2200 on the used market !

ICOM rules !  you may pay a bit more for
filters.   The ICOM 775 is a great rig -

Just my opinion!
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2002, 09:26:52 AM »

I suggest you go back to the eham reviews on the 775, go to page 3, and read the W8JI description of its problems.  These are REAL problems.  If you can live with them, maybe that's the rig for you.  Otherwise, you can get better results for a lot less money.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: