Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM IC-718 or Yaesu FT-840  (Read 1936 times)
PAUL_L

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2002, 08:42:52 PM »

Hi all,

1st time posting to the forum.

I'm trying to decide between IC-718 or FT-840.  I like certain features on each radio but since I have no direct experience of on-the-air use, am having a hard time deciding.

From a radio performance point of view, which is the better rig?

What about usefulness of features (icom offers a free DSP unit), ease of use etc.

How about robustness, reliability?

All opinions from owners/users will be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I intend mainly SSB use (hopefully when I get my license this summer) on all the main HF bands, + some SWL as well.
KI8DJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2002, 10:50:36 AM »

In my mind it is no contest ic 718 all the way. I owned the 840 and it was a decent rig,but nothing special. A friend of mine has a 718 and it sounds as good or better than his ic 746.I borrowed it and was very pleased with the ease of use and fine performance.Even without the dsp I would take it over the 840,not having 10meter fm is not that big of a deal and the am on the 718 sounds far better on both transmit nand receive
KG4PSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2002, 11:07:32 PM »

I was in the same boat a few months ago, and went with the 718. It is absolutely awesome!! The DSP module (free w/ coupon) is a wonderful addition, and has proven itself many time both SSB and CW.

Comb the reviews here; they are very helpful. Make a list of things that are important to you, and how they are addressed regarding each rig. I can't give you a first-hand opinion of the 840, but for what I wanted from a rig, the Icom easily became my choice. YMMV.

I find the Icom has a great receiver, a lot of features for it's price class, good transmit audio, and (I think)a great built-in keyer. It is built like a tank, and is simple to use.

Good Luck, and 73,

Allen
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 12:21:15 AM »

I have an Ft 840 and my biggest gripe is that you can't key a linear with it.  There is supposed to be a way to take a mini 7 pin din plug on the back and use pin 2  to ground to key a linear but it don't work,(every try to solder up a 7 pin mini-din plug??) and then Yaesu has a fr-737 or something as an adaptor, but they dont make them any more so its out too.

I finally put it in my pick up truck and found a RM hf linear (600 watts ssb) that will key from the rf sensing so I solved it that way. It has virtually no dsp either, but a nice little rig all in all.  I just wish they would have told me about the inability to key a linear, I wouldn't have bought it brand new for almost $700, I would have bought a used Icom 706 for $600 instead.  

Bye the way I now own a Kenwood 570 g (d), my main rig,  an Alinco dx 70 ( will end up in my next car ), a Icom 706  which will be my backup station in the house next to the Kenwood (Kenwood has bigger knobs and is easier to use), an Icom 720 which is going in my travel trailer/portable command center/ camping trailer, the Ft 840 which is in my 1/2 ton Ford p/u and an Icom 730 which will probably be sold or traded for something.  

I like buying and selling rigs as much as I do playing with them.. remember he who dies with the most toys wins!!!  I think I'm in contention  Smiley  Any ways have fun and welcome back    tom  N6AJR  (all junk radio)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: