Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rack mounting  (Read 1049 times)
N3SKO

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2001, 11:17:12 PM »

I have a great love for the 19 inch rack mount concept, but very few amateur radios come with rack mount brackets.  

Does anyone know of a place to get rack mount brackets built for VHF and HF radios and accessories such as TNC's?

73, john N3SKO

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 10:32:56 PM »

Hi,

How about rack mount shelves ?
we use them all the time for the modems,
hubs, etc that are not bolt in type.

www.newark.com is one place to look.

Or you could try some surplus places.

73 walt
WB6MYL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2001, 01:03:24 AM »

I also like the rack-mount concept; the idea of the rack-mount shelves is a good one and they are readily available but they don't have a real good look to them especially for small vhf/uhf mobile rigs; I run and prefer Icom over the other big "two" and all of my gear is rack-mounted or "mountable"; the Icom 761, 765, 781, 775 are HF rigs that mountable with the MB-19 rack ears available as an option; the IC-970 is also a VHF/UHF rig that has the same options;

There was a company about 7 to 10 years ago that made racks for popular HF/VHF rigs, but alas, it went by the wayside because of a lack of interest.

Good luck, OM.
N3SKO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2001, 10:17:01 PM »

Yes, I am using rack-mount shelves right now.  Some of my "green radios", such as the Harris HF equipment, come with rack mounting ears.  But the amateur gear that I have does not, and looks shabby by comparison.

Guess I need to buy some sheet metal tools and make my own.  It's been over 30 years, but I used to be a pretty good metal worker in high school!

Better buy a box of bandaids too -  :-)

john
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2001, 05:44:09 PM »

John,
Put away your sheet metal tools!!!
Check out Middle Atlantic Products, Inc.
Riverdale, NJ   07457
(973)839-1011

They make VERY NICE custom rack shelves AND Front Panel Cut-outs.
I use them (for over 15 years) for our custom A/V systems, home theatre, office servers, etc......
They are VERY NICE!!!!  (did I say that already???)

Their  RSH series custom rack shelves are available to fit nearly every pro / consumer audio/video device made!!   OR you can give them your dimensions and they'll make them for you (no "extra" charge)
They ask for dimensions to within +/-  1/32 of an inch!! So be accurate in your measurements....
They're availible in brushed black anodized or black textured powder coated front panels...

I think these will do whatever you need...
I use them in clients' offices where the equipment needs to be easily accessed BUT needs to look good (GREAT).... Many of them comment that they wished that their living rooms looked as nice!!!

Good Luck,
John,   KA4WJA
N3SKO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 10:43:27 PM »

THANKS!  Looks like just what I needed!
N3BSZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2002, 06:49:13 PM »

I agree with Middle Atlantic. We use them in broadcast for everything. If you use a scroll saw with WD-40 for lube you can cut out any shape you need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: