Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating Auto-Tuner on Kenwood TS-440AT  (Read 2072 times)
KD2FAH

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2003, 11:41:51 AM »

Whenoperating the auto-tuner on the 440 there are 4 switches and the sequence they need to be in to properly auto-tune. The switches in question are: send/rec, auto/thru,AT Tune/Off, and ATT. When I want to tune-up on a band would I engage the send, auto, AT Tune, and ATT switches? Once tuned do I turn them off to rec, thru, off, and disengage ATT?
WB5CYS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 12:28:36 AM »

The correct procedure for tuning the internal antenna tuner in the TS-440 is as follows:
1) Depress the Auto/Thru switch so that Auto is selected.
2) Depress the AT Tune button.   The tuner will begin to tune for lowest SWR.  With the meter switch in the SWR position, you can observe the  match take place.
3) After the tuner matches and quits moving, set the AT Tune button to the OFF position to take the radio out of transmit mode.

The AT Tune operation puts 10 watts of power out, enough to tune but not enough to cause RFI, QRM, or damage to finals as the rig tunes.  There is no need to depress the SEND switch.  In certain modes this can put up to 100 watts out and can cause damage in cases of extreme mismatch.

The ATT button activates an attenuation circuit which attenuates (dampens or decreases) the received signal.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the internal antenna tuner or transmitting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: