Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappointing Radios  (Read 830 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2002, 03:31:54 PM »

How many of you have bought a new or used radio with great anticipation, only to have it fall so short of your expectations that you couldn't get rid of it fast enough? What kind of radio was it? What was disappointing about it?
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 01:59:36 PM »

In my case is was a used Icom IC-740. I immediately disliked the fact that you had to keep switching between the various tuning rates as you tuned across a band. Also, the unit I bought had the optional built-in AC power supply, so the noisy cooling fan ran continuously, even during receive.
KD7PLU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 12:23:08 PM »

The VX-5R would be at the top of the list. The biggest failure was the fact it can RX below 48Mhz. I expected to monitor 47.42 (Red Cross) as a minimum. The temp only reads in C, the belt clip is a cheese piece of crap and the operating ease of the system as a whole just about sucks. I also expected it to do X-Band repeat- No. Silly little icons are for? The Vertex four-pin mic plug is also a failure. Little BS-size 2x'AA' clam shell pack is a joke. SMA connector (Why didn't we go to TNC connectors instead of SMA?!!)

I knew what I was getting into with the RS HTX-252 2Meter Radios, so although they suck, it was already known going into it. The VX-5R was just a huge letdown.

Loren B. Cobb / KD7PLU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: