Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Bus for Equipment  (Read 2286 times)
K5NT

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2002, 10:19:00 PM »

Last year I bought a 4' copper ground bus with lugs every 6 inches.  It is mounted on the back of my desk topper, and connected to my equipment and my outdoor grounding system. The vendor was J. Martin Systems in CT. I need another one for equipment grounding, but Martin seems to be out of business.  Does any other company still make these things?  Thanks.

K5NT
Austin, TX
dbfk5nt@aol.com
KB3HIN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 12:24:49 PM »

I have seen many similar grounding busses for auction on eBay, if you are into "eBaying" or would like to try.  I can't give specifics on manufacturer, but I purchased two decent multi-point grounding busses over eBay for just a few dollars each.  Might be worth checking out if you run into a deadend.

Adam/KB3HIN
K5NT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 07:51:26 PM »

For the benefit of others interested in this topic, WB3HIN was correct.  There are ground busses on eBay at present, but the ones listed today are rather heavy for my use.  I will keep looking, as others will no doubt turn up.

I did a search and found a company called Dunestar that sells a two foot aluminum bus for $19.00.  www.qth.com/dunestar.

K5NT
KE4TQH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2002, 06:14:27 PM »

Just wondering if you can just buy a flat aluminum bar at a hardware store ,then drill holes in it and insert bolts for the hookup.??.Would this meet the same requirements??.I have thought of doing this.Any imput on doing this?.
K4VMO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 11:09:15 AM »

Just go by Home Depot or other supply store and buy a 5' length of 1" copper pipe for a few bucks, get some compression clamps and mount it at the rear of your desk. Attach the ground strap from each piece of equipment and use a VERY heavy length of braid to your external ground.  I have used this system for years and have never had a problem with RF in the shack.
Frank  K4VMO
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 08:44:36 AM »

The copper ground bus you are looking for is available from:

The BetterRF Company
44 Crestview Lane
Edgewood, NM 87015

(800) 653-9910

Available in 2ft, 3ft, 4ft and 5ft lengths.  See page 113 of the December CQ magazine.

Good luck.  Terry, WØFM
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2002, 05:39:19 PM »

Try McMaster-Carr. They carry alloy 110 copper, 1/4" thick by 1" by 6 ft. The silver plated version is $1.00 cheaper than the unplated. Go figure. Anyway, don't use stock less than about 3/16, it'll be too thin to hold a screw. Drill and tap where you need holes. Looks good, too.

Rich KC8RPD
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2002, 02:01:32 PM »

I am curious as to how the posters here decided they needed a ground bus. I have operated from 8 different QTHs in 20-some years (not by choice, believe me), and only once did I utilize a station ground bus. Shacks have been in the basement, main floor, and even the second floor. Rigs have included Heathkit SB-102, SB-301/401, Yaesu FT-707, Ten Tec Argosy II, Icom IC-740, and Kenwood TS-130 and TS-850. No linears, however. Antennas have included dipoles, a G5RV, a delta loop, and a couple of end-fed random wires, tuned with a remote autotuner. I use a laptop computer to interface the rig for CW contesting and for PSK. They work fine together, directly connected using cables made from RG-174.

The only RF problem I ever encountered was using a headset/mic combination with my TS-850, and that was first encountered at the station where I had the ground bus. Changing the poorly shielded mic cable to RG-174 solved that problem. As far as getting RF "bites" from my equipment, that's never occurred, even at the QTH with the 2nd floor shack.

Am I just lucky? Somehow I don't think so. Can some of you posters describe what problem you actually encountered that was solved solely by installing a station ground bus? Thanks in advance.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2002, 02:57:37 PM »

Personally, I solved no KNOWN problems by installing a ground bus in my shack.  I utilize one as a convenient way to provide a common, effective ground to all my equipment.  Hopefully, by so doing, I will AVOID problems now, and therefore, avoid having to SOLVE problems in the future.  More time for hamming! 73, Terry, WØFM
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2002, 06:30:52 PM »

I simply put 4 ft of rigid 1/2 inch copper pipe on the back of my desk with several stanless steel hose clamps to hold the ground wires from the equipment to the copper pipe. It's not really nessassary but it makes it easy to add or remove equipment ground wires from the 1/2 inch plumbing pipe rather than trying to tie many wires onto the single heavy wire going to the ground rod.  
W2EJG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2002, 12:15:30 PM »

Go to your local plumbing supply house and ask for COPPER pipe hanger. This is a copper strip about 3/4" wide with holes drilled every few inches. Cost about
$ 2. Does the job.
KD7PLU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2003, 12:33:51 PM »

I mounted 3 feet of 3/4" copper pipe to a 2x6 and bolted that to my wall. A #2 grond wire is soldered to the pipe and grounded outside. All the shack rigs are tap-screwed to the pipe and soldered at the ends. I still have RF/Intermod that's out of control. The logic with grounding is that it's better to have than have not/ Maybe my shack will smoke if a bolt hits the antennas, but at least I have a better chance of being alive afterword to clean up.

Loren B. Cobb / KD7PLU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: