Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna and Tuner questions  (Read 1108 times)
KD5QJF

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2003, 10:16:49 PM »

Hello All, I am unsure of which direction to go for a HF antenna and tuner. I just bought an ICOM 706mkIIg and am working on getting my General ticket.

I was considering a G5RV and an AT-180. The G5RV because I will be moving for college in less than a year and dont want anything too permanent. And the AT-180 because it will work for HF-6m and I can use it mobile which may be best for me during college.

Does this sound like a decent combination? How important is 6m in a tuner? I want to homebrew a 6m antenna to try some dx while i learn the code!

Can anyone offer some help for a new ham that will be moving around some the next few years? thanks!
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 07:26:03 AM »

I've heard good things about the AT-180, but you may
want to do a little more research before you buy.
QST had a review of several tuners in this issue,
which I received earlier this week. Also, I have been
using 3 different tuners for a while and I'll share
my findings with you on them:
(1) Kenwood AT-200 ; 200 watt input limit, has
    coil selections for 1.8 - 28 but will work WARC
    bands as well , you just have to find the correct
    settings yourself. Have used this tuner for wire
    as well as dipoles and loops and mobile.
    Cost : $ 40.00 at a flea market.
(2) Dentron GLB-1000 (not positive on type)
    Tunes 400 khz to 60 mhz. Rx only outside the
    Ham bands, an antenna analyzer was used to check.
    Works wire, loops, dipoles, shunts, gutters,
    bed springs, and many other types of metallic
    surfaces.  Picked it up at an estate sale for
    $100.00
(3) SGC SG-237 Antenna Coupler: This is an auto-tuner
    that I bought to play with. Tunes 160 - 6 meters.
    I used it for Field Day one year, and played
    around the house with wire and loops and other
    things and I now use it mobile with either a
    screwdriver or a Hustler antenna.
    It's very versatile, saves several
    settings for future reference and I love it.
    Working mobile used to be a hassel, but not now.
    I ordered it from SCG for about $250.00
  A good tuner can be a great and lasting investment.
  Good luck and 73 -  Tim
KD7SIX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 02:57:11 PM »

Hi KD5QJF
I am new to amateur radio, got my tech ticket 8/02 and just upgraded to General a few weeks back. I also have the 706MIIG and was in your situation a month ago. I built a Windom antenna found at http://www.packetradio.com/windom.htm
Cheap and simple, the coax was more than the antenna. I dont get low SWR's in all bands but 17m,20m,40m, and 80m all have useable SWR's so I am not complaining:) and signal reports are very good to boot!
I am saving up to buy a LDG AT-11MP automatic antanna tuner and feel this combination will keep me happy for a long time to come.
For 6m I have a Diamond A504HB Yagi at 35' and for 2m,70cm I have a Diamond X510MA.  Hope this helps.
73 Scott
K2WH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 02:53:17 PM »

Don't buy the G5RV.  Waste of money.  A simple dipole as long as possible fed in the center with ladder line will cost you next to nothing.  There is no magic in the G5RV antenna.  A simple dipole will perform better.

K2WH
K2WH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 02:59:46 PM »

Don't buy the G5RV.  Waste of money.  A simple dipole as long as possible fed in the center with ladder line will cost you next to nothing.  There is no magic in the G5RV antenna.  A simple dipole will perform better.

K2WH
KE6VG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 10:32:48 PM »

I agree. A simple wire dipole fed with Radio Shack 300 ohm twinlead or you could make your own ladder line. Then use a tuner to tune all bands.

You could even put up a large horizontal loop (132-200+ feet) and feed it with twinlead also. (works on all bands)

How about a 20 meter vertical dipole fed with twinlead. Hang this in a tree and no one will even see it. This will work good on 30-10 meters and give you a little bit of gain on some bands and a low angle of radiation for DX work.

As far as tuners go, almost any tuner that will handle twinlead will work. Some better than others. You could spend anywhere from $40 to $400 on a tuner, or more. A good tuner is a great addition to a station. Read the product reviews for antenna tuners to make up your mind.
KE4IZA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 07:18:52 AM »

I have an IC-718 from ICOM.  I use the MFJ-949E tuner.  No it is not automatic but it cost $119 is solid built, works and will tune just about anything connected to it.  Even a wire antenna.  I use an indoor wire loop.
W9ILY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 02:01:47 PM »

I have a B&W Model 425 low pass filter and would like to know the power rating. I'm adding an amp to my station and don't want to have it arc. Anybody know?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: