Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best all around portable/mobile rig?  (Read 1363 times)
KD7RQH

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2003, 07:58:37 PM »

I am looking for some advice on a decent all around rig that I can use at home for VHF+UHF as I don't have that capability, and I can grab and go should I be deployed (I am with the Navy, but I would not be in a trench or anything like that...) or wanted to setup for portable operation.  My current station setup is a Kenwood TS450S, MFJ Versa Tuner III, Icom R7000 (which I plan on selling to assist with this), and my trusty T7H handheld.  I am looking at the following rigs: ICOM 706MkIIG (my favorite so far...), Yaesu 817 (neat rig, very PORTABLE operation, free software), Yaesu 897 (another neat rig...).  The only reason I am somewhat put off by the 817 is the limited power output, but maybe that is not such an issue???  The 897 would be very expensive to go portable with due to battery/charger cost, etc.  The 706 would be limited on battery power, but I understand many hams use them for this purpose.  Any input here?  The fellows who own the 817 seem to speak very highly of them, and there is a plethora of aftermarket items for this rig which are reasonably priced.  I love the 706 (ICOM fan here...) and the 100 watt max output is nice should you really need to get through.  By the way, I primarily operate PSK31 and SSB, looking at MFSK16, among others...  Any help would be appreciated.
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 11:51:38 AM »

Hi,

I'm just curious- if you are looking for a VHF/UHF portable rig, do you really want or need the HF capabilities that the three radios you mentioned will provide? If you do want the integrated HF/VHF/UHF capabilities in a small radio, I would definitely go with the Icom 706MKIIG. The FT-817 is a low-power rig. The 897 looks to be quite nice, but it is larger and more expensive than the Icom.

If all you really want is VHF/UHF, you could save yourself some money and go for a mobile rig that has these capabilities only. You'll save even more money.
KD7RQH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 11:55:56 AM »

I'm lacking for a VHF/UHF base station, but also need a do it all rig for portable operation, so my goal was to buy one radio and not two, thus the necessity for the HF bands as I may pick it up and head off somewhere.  Basically, I need the VHF/UHF side for the home side and HF bands when I am away.
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 02:28:39 PM »

Ah, gotcha. Well, I doubt that you'll find better than the Icom 706 MKIIG for your purposes. Not only is it portable but it's reasonably priced. And a great performer. I still have not bought an HF rig myself (I'm a brand-new General licensee) but this one's at the top of my list. Another in the same class is the Yaesu FT-100D. It's got nearly the same specs and it's very small as well. I've heard from some hams that have the 100-D that the receiver is not quite as sensitive as the Icom's, but then I've not judged it for myself either.

I am a Yaesu fan myself, but I'm seriously thinking of the 706MKIIG because of its stellar reputation and the fact that it is so small. You can also buy a separation kit for the faceplate for mobile mounting.

Good luck!

Jackie
K1RDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 09:36:54 AM »

I've used the IC706MKIIG as a base rig, mobile, Field Day and as an emergency rig in major contests. It has 440, and 2m through 160m, as well as weather and scanner capability (you can even program in the CB channels for travel emegency information). It will run phone, CW and digital. I'd say that's pretty good all around performance.  
AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 10:08:51 PM »

$719 from Texas Towers with the coupons including shipping, and the remoting kit. Heck of a deal. Compare it to what just a 2M or dual band all mode rig goes for.

Love my 706 MKIIG even though I paid a couple of bucks more for it.

-Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: