Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base station  (Read 722 times)
KILL9843

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2002, 07:22:02 PM »

I am new to ham radio and am about to take my technician class exam. I need to get some equiptment and have no clue about what to get, there are so many diffrent ones in the product review etc i dont know where to start. I am looking for a base station that will allow me to operation on as many frequencies as possible for about $350-400. I want to get a multi band cheap antenna aswell (that works well), and .... thats about it i guess.

Please provide me with some feedback on what would be best for my needs as a new ham!
Thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2002, 07:25:24 PM »

I'd recommend: Get the license first, as technology changes so rapidly that a great deal today might be a mistake tomorrow.

Then, join a local ham radio club (no matter where you live, there is one!), go to a couple of meetings and ask the folks there what they're using, what they like, and why.  You can probably also arrange a live, hands-on equipment demo of a few different setups this way, and make a much more informed decision.

Also, leave sufficient budget for a good antenna (or more than one).  The world's best equipment stinks when the antenna it's connected to does.  But, great antennas can make nearly any old equipment work extremely well.

WB2WIK/6
M0CUS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 03:09:59 AM »

I have to agree with the first comment about joining your local club to get some hands on use then make your own decision. As for the antenna a lot has to do with how much space you have. In my experence most multi band antennas are a compromise with coils or other bits just to make them resonate on the various bands. If you want a no compromise antenna on a tight budget then I would go for a quad. They are simple and cheap to make and if made correctly will usually have a slight edge over a mono band 3 element yagi and certainly over any tri band 3 element yagi.
Tip. If you do decide to make a quad you can usually scrounge the enamel wire from your local motor rewind company as any lengths under 100ft are usually no use to them.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 08:05:49 PM »

I would reccommend a dual band Kenwood TM- G707 dual band and will do satalites and a cushcraft dual band verticle for the house $89 new and a dual band mag moun for the car  and you will need a power supply for the house ( 10 or 12 amps )

This will get you on the local repeaters, and let you do satalites, and still be in your budget and you have a Nice rig to boot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: