Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harris or Sunair HF Amp??  (Read 1896 times)
STUDYING2BE

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2002, 04:32:39 PM »

With funds limited, I'm looking at either the Harris RF-353 or the Sunair GSL1900. Both are auto tune(a feature I like)& both use a 1500 tube. Both also look to be very well made. Any opinions on which one you would prefer? Thanks!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 04:43:40 PM »

I'd prefer neither.  Too big, too heavy, too noisy, and sustaining engineering is required for either.

These don't both use the same tube: The AM7224/URC (Harris) uses a triode, 3CX1500A7, while the PA-1900 Sunair uses a tetrode, 4CX1500.  

For similar investment but much quieter operation I'd go for a "ham bands" no-tune amplifier like a used Alpha 78.  More output power, occupies 1/4 the space, and easier to maintain.

WB2WIK/6
STUDYING2BE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 06:36:30 PM »

Thank you WB2WIK for the quick reply and pointing out the different tubes and the trouble I may have getting one repaired. I just checked the classifieds here and it seems the Alpha 78's are almost 4 times the $$$.I do understand the "get what ya pay for" aspect.Smiley I'm just looking for a nice "starter". Looks like I'll have to decide to either take the risk of scrap if I can't find repair or get something in the same price range without the features I desire. 73 , Mike
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 07:17:34 PM »

Hmm.  I can buy Alpha 78's all over the place for $1200, so if that's "4x" the price of the Sunair or Harris, they must be running about $300.  That's a very good deal, I must agree.  I had no idea these amps, which sold for >$5K to the government, were selling so inexpensively surplus.

Based on that, I'd probably pick the Harris, in that they still provide tech support for it (I just checked, it's on their website).

WB2WIK/6

STUDYING2BE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 07:32:16 PM »

My hat's off to you again:) I was looking at the 87'S Hehehe I'll check into the 78'S Thanks!!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 08:38:48 PM »

If you are a new ham, you will be on VHF/UHF and these are HF amps.  You need to start on the hi freq amps if that is you choice, but there is little need for it as a start.  A 5 watt HT will work local repeaters well ( up to 100 miles or so depending on terrain) and a 50 mobile on a mag mount will do well mobile or at the house with a ringo ranger on the roof of the house.

Harris is old military surplus. although a great piece of equipment, not something you need. It would look great on the Hornet or the Missouri ( great ships) which are being restored and these belong in their radio rooms.

You can build or buy gain antennas ( yagi's or quads for 2 meters etc) and don't need power until you want to work moon bounce or weak signal etc.

I have had HF amps up to 3000 watts , both tube and transistor, and currently have sold all except for a ameritron 500 watt rig I use with the base here at the house, and even then I usually only run 300 watts (PEP SSB) which is enough to get me above the noise.

If you really need an amp for hf try a Ameritron 811 or 811 h, with the 10 meter kit, which will work on 110 v, put out 600 or 800 watts and rmember that you will need a tuner that will handle mor power and also a swr meter that will handle mor watts and even the coax ( rg58 is only good to about 400 or 500 watts depending on the SWR) so power is a complete change in most stations. An 811 or 811 H can be had new for $629 or so (H is $100 more) and I have bought and sold them on Ebay for $300- $350.

This is not like CB if that is what you are used to.  First folks won't answer you if you don't have a call. Second you can look up any call on line in a minute so no sence using a phony call. Third Folks here ( with the exception of a DX pile up) will always be more polite and if you drop your call most folks will answer you  and you find you don't need to "over power" them to talk.  

Most folks on Ham radio are gentlemen and ladies, only occasionally will you find poor behavior on the air, and when you do folks either triangulate them and report it or just use a different freq.

Concentrate on antennas, if ya can't hear them then you can't work them...

good luck  

tom  N6AJR  ( all junk radio)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: