Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supply, transformer or Switcher ?  (Read 1122 times)
WS9K

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2002, 05:19:35 PM »

I'm just getting back into ham radio after many years.
I need a power supply to run my new IC-706.
My first instinct is to get an Astron RS-35, but the new switching power supplies look cute.
Are they ok?
Thanks
Derek KF9WY
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 12:04:41 AM »

I used a TrippLite 25A supply with my 706's until I got an Astron switcher rated for 30A. It is far lighter and very quiet. I did have a problem with noise that drove me nuts until I figured out it was the switching supply. Astron had me ground the negative side of the output and also place a capacitor between the pos and neg terminals. If you experience noise on a switcher, it may take that to cure. It works fine now and the noise and harmonics I heard on the AM braodcast band are gone.
Frank
KL7IPV
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 08:02:51 AM »

I've used a couple of the switching supplies, an Astron SS-30M and an Alinco DM-330MV.  Neither produced any unwanted noise or signals on the ham bands, but the Alinco does produce some signals in the AM broadcast band.  They are very weak and only affect weak AM stations on the lower part of the band.  The Alinco has a "noise offset" knob which can be used to move the offending signal a bit - it works as advertised.  
WS9K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2002, 04:41:54 PM »

Well, I got the SAMLEX 23amp.
It works great. small and light.
I haven't found any noise on 160m-.70cm
Very Nice.
KU4QD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2002, 11:59:08 PM »

I'll be the second to recommend the Samlex SEC-1223.  It's small, lightweight, solidly built, and generates no unwanted RF hash.  I also have a Ten Tec 937, which is also excellent, but it's only an 11 amp supply so it's not good for your '706.

Some switchers do generate substantial RF hash.  Avoid Icom's poor attempts at switching power supplies in particular.  I've also read some not so brilliant reviews of MFJ and Yaesu models.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 07:44:01 AM »

If you need space go for a good switcher, if you want a solid,simple,relieable performer go with the linear
supply. I took care of a lab full of DC supplys for ten years, fact, the switchers failed 5 or 6 times as often as the linear supplys and were harder to work on/repair. I have a Samlex 1223 in my camper and it's been OK. Used it for 3 season's without a problem.I can hear some hash but it's not bad. I use Astron 35 and 50's at home, never a trouble in almost 15 years. I'll stick with the big and heavy Astron myself.
VK6BOS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2002, 10:35:49 PM »

Check out the Mean Well ESP 120 13.8 V 16A SMPS.
I am using it with a Qmac Hf-90 Hf radio and is very clean.

Regards
Nick Vk6Bos
K6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 06:54:58 PM »

Based on a QST review of switching power supplies I bought the MFJ 25-amp supply with meters and it works great, no RF hash that I've been able to detect and I can hold it in the palm of my hand!

Kinda amazing for MFJ, something that works as advertised!
N6IZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 01:27:48 AM »

I have used both a samlex and an astron switcher in very low noise areas (small islands). Both created hash on 160, 80 and 40. IN addition the points on the band where you here it drifts. So you may start a qso and later have the switcher noise fade into the band pass. Quite annoying, especially when in such a low noise environment.

Brian n6iz
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 09:14:40 PM »

I like the linear ( heavy with the transformer in it) and do not like switchers, never had any good luck with them but even an old 3 amp radio shack linear P.S. works for ever.  I have1 12 amp astron,  2 astron 20 amps, 1 50 amp astron, 1 70 amp astron, and 1 20 amp west com. all of them are heavy old linear power supplies.  73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: