Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slinky Antenna Results  (Read 728 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2003, 09:01:39 PM »

I thought I would fill everyone in on the results.  I purchased a Centaur 1:1 balun and 2 $1.89 slinkys from Walmart.  I also was fortunate enough to get Ham Radio Outlet to let me return the MFJ-949E tuner I had purchased.  I exchanged it for the ICOM AT-180 auto tuner and paid the difference.  I hung the balun in the center of the apartment from the ceiling.  I then stretched the slinkys approx. 12' in each direction mounted on hooks.  I then made 2 small 6" wires with alligator clips attached to the balun and clipped to each slinky.  The whole antenna looks beautiful to me but the wife has other descriptions which I will not repeat.  Does it work?  I was running a wire loop around the ceiling of the livingroom fed to the MFJ-949E.  Lots of noise and not a lot of contacts.  My noise level dropped from s7 to s2 and there is talking everywhere.  I was listening to 18.160.00 and heard a station from Australia.  I attempted to contact him and was rudely told this frequency is in use and to bug off.  RUDE but I was heard.  I also made contact at 5x4 to a station in Hot Springs, Arkansas on 18.161.00.  Both were with 50w to 75w.  I do not know if it is the new tuner or the antenna or both but I get out and hear now.  The AT-180 auto tunes anytime it detects greater than 1.5:1 swr and does it in less than 2 seconds with a couple of muffled clicks.  Finally I have a station that works.

73's and thanks for all your input.

Jim Glenn - KE4IZA
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 06:00:48 AM »

I'm glad that you are enjoying your Slinky Antenna.
I do , however see another problem. If you were
told that 18.160 was in use , why then did you
make a contact on 18.161 ? I do hope that the
contact you made was later...after the Aussie
was gone. No, I'm not jumping down your throat,
I am using this opportunity to try to let the
newer hams know that the standard separation between
QSO's on any given band ,using SSB, is 3 khz .
I have noticed that many newer HAMS think that 1 or
2 khz is more than enough, since they can use their
fancy DSP filters and IF shift to filter out all
the adjacent noise. Folks...that works 2 ways and
there are still more rigs in use without DSP than
there are with DSP so please use the 3 khz rule.
Thank you,now, I can climb down off my soap box.
 73 - Tim
N5BSD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 03:28:09 AM »

I am just going to pop in here real fast.
I have been making the OMISS 40 meter net at 0100Z most nights, it is at 7.263.5 they start early check-ins about 0030z or so, well even with my fancy DSP filters in my FT-100D and all this group stills sets up shop on 7.261 and half the time I get their tuning birdies, QRM and everything else and cannot hear ANYONE on the net I am currently working. this is 2.5 KHz away and I know most of those guys are running more than my barefoot radio, but still if I can hear what they are saying in GA and VA better than I am abe to copy guys on the same freq ae me, this is just bad opperating practices too me.

sorry for the rant, glad the slinky works thou

am looking at one myself for portable and EMCOM use.

just needed to rant about the bad practices for a sec.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: