Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-2000 vs. FT-1000 MK 5  (Read 601 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2003, 10:36:42 AM »

I've owned a TS-2000 for more than a year and have worked 272 DXCC entities with it plus over 1000 band fills. I also used it for satellite work, but that was just a passing fancy. I don't care about 6 meters or above.

I am seriously thinking about selling my TS-2000, external antenna tuner and 600W amplifier and getting the FT-1000 MK 5. I am really only interested in HF DX, and the receiver is the most important part of the station for my weak signal CW dx work. (Yes, antennas are also most important). I think the 200 watts will be enough - I'd rather not run an amp, but I also know that for some weak DX, the amp made the difference between being heard or not.

I have read some reviews that seem to say that some of the FT-1000 series radios are unreliable and that Yaesu's support is not that good. But I also hear how wonderful the receiver is. I usually read reviews for all comments and take the "scores" with a grain of salt. I've found the TS-2000 receiver better than the reviews on eHam - its sensitivity is excellent, but I wish it were more quiet and a little more selective.

Any thoughts from people who have used both or own both? I will play with one at HRO today, hopefully band conditions will be good enough to tell if it is the great radio that I have heard that it is.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 11:06:56 PM »

I did get the Yaesu and am selling all my other gear. The receiver is awesome in the MK 5 - it reminds me of the Ten Tec Omni's as far as how quiet it is.

The receiver does seem to be both more selective and sensitive than the TS-2000. And it is a much quieter receiver. The autotuner is quiet in the Yaesu, but it doesn't have the range of the TS-2000.

Don't get me wrong - the TS-2000 is a fantastic radio - but I just have gotten to the point where I want to concentrate on DX and the Yaesu fits the bill perfectly.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 04:34:27 PM »

Take a look at the ARRL Lab Test numbers for the two rigs.  The FT-1000 is very good indeed.  The TS-2000 put up some truly awful receiver numbers, as in worse than my 25 year old Icom IC-701.  Test equipment does not lie.  It doesn't always tell the whole story, but the numbers are, indeed, real.

If I had a sudden financial windfall and could buy any rig I wanted it sure wouldn't be the TS-2000.

Caity
K7VO
WO8USA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 07:02:21 PM »

What will you do with the satellite part of the hobby?  I am in the place of trying to decide which rig--TS2000, MKV, or 756PRO2.  Right now my #1 is HF DX, but I want to get into satellites.

Can I ask if you got to do a side-by side of the 2000 and MK V?  Curious as to the result.  The 200W is great, and I am leaning that way.

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 09:03:54 AM »

I look at lab tests and also try to get some experience playing with a rig on the air before I commit to one. I have owned the 756Pro and TS-2000 for over a year and sold them to buy the Mark V, which I have not owned very long at all. I also had an Omni V for a short while.

I guess my opinion is that while you can work DXCC and even get on the honor roll with the 756Pro, the TS-2000 or the Mark V, that the Mark V is the best for HF dx (if that is the only thing you want to do). On a budget, a used Omni V makes a lot of sense. And no matter what - its operator skill, your antenna system and then the rig as far as DXCC - ability is concerned.

I found that the 756Pro and the TS-2000 receivers were (on the air) very similar in their ability to receive weak signal DX. The TS-2000 is a bit noisier and has some nasty birdies. I went from the 756Pro to the TS-2000 because I wanted work satellites when HF conditions were in the dumper. That is still a good choice if you only want one rig to do it all. And it was great for the VHF contests too. Like a swiss army knife - it works but some blades / tools in the knife work better than others.

I had the 756Pro and never looked at the fancy LCD screen - I was too busy listening and trying to work weak signal DX to care what their signal looked like. I admit - in the store the screen surely was enticing. Others may actually use and love that feature - I did not. It didn't do anything to further my DXCC goal. If the satellite bug didn't bite me, and I wanted to choose between the TS-2000 and 756Pro for HF DX-ing, I would have kept the 756Pro over the TS-2000.

I also had the priviledge to play with an Omni V for quite a few months. That was a super CW rig for DX-ing, and I think it is the best deal for used market CW dx-ing rigs. It wasn't that great sounding on SSB. But I work mostly CW unless a new one is SSB only - which happens quite a bit. It is a 100W rig and there are some well published mods and firmware upgrades to make it a super duper rig.

I like all of these rigs - its just that after a few years of being back on the air I have noticed that I spend all of my ham time chasing DX, and that for me, the Mark V is the best rig I've come across for doing this one ham activity.

After I reach honor roll and 5BDXCC QRO, I will try it QRP - probably with a K2.

And remember, these are just my opinions and my experience - your mileage will most likely vary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: