Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do about connector standardization?  (Read 693 times)
KC7YRN

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2003, 12:59:23 PM »

My first radio had a BNC connector. My second had an SMA connector. My third had an SO-239 for the HF side, and for some reason an SO-239 for the VHF/UHF side. One of my first accessory purchases was an antenna analyzer, equippped with an N connector.

There's got to be a better way than having to buy every kind of adapter in existence and then having to keep track of them all.

One option would be to pick one connector for all cables, and to convert every device to use that connector. Would BNC work? I don't have any high-power equipment, and a type N would look kind of silly on an HT.

What have other people tried, how well did it work, are you happy with it, and what would you do if you were starting over?

Thanks!
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 04:31:41 PM »

Standardization is impractical at best.  For example, at 23cm (1296 MHz) you want N connectors (or better) to reduce loss.  You can't fit an N connector on a typical handheld, can you?  The whole reason SMA connectors became popular on HTs was because some HT cases were now just too small to support a BNC connector.  An SMA is fine for the HT in my purse, but I sure wouldn't want it on my base rig where it's smaller than the coax.

Different connectors simply serve different purposes.  The best thing is to use the connector that best serves the purpose you are using it for.

Caity
K7VO
K5USS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 09:58:20 PM »

For testing and adapting purposes a good quality adapter is going to give you minimal loss.  Get a good supply of them and then pick up one or 2 extras each time you see them on sale or at a swapmeet.  As the above poster said, trying to standardize in the shack is not going to happen efficiently...

Charlie
K5USS
KC7YRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 12:39:39 PM »

Has anyone resorted to using a patch panel? Or to leaving adapters or pigtails permanently attached to everything?
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 04:25:15 PM »

Both approaches (patch panel and mess-o-pigtails) have probably been used, but I have a "tweenie" bag full of adapters to go be"tween" things.  I started it because of Field Day, and wanting to be able to connect any rig/key/device to any other, but now, as K5USS says, I pick up a few here and there at swaps and stores, and usually have what I need when I need it.
Good luck de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: