Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: long wire vs. dipole  (Read 1407 times)
VE3BWA

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2003, 10:33:54 AM »

I got my Basic qualification last year and just passed my Morse certification so I can stop using my HF rig for just listening.  I have a random-length wire antenna about 80 feet long up 25 feet (all I can manage in my inner-city yard) and am considering replacing it with an Alpha Delta CC.  My question is this: I have a good external antenna tuner.  Will using the tuner and my current wire give me the same performance as the Alpha Delta or should I go ahead?  With two college-age kids, money is an issue.  Thanks

Chuck Rachlis
VE3BWA
KE4VBG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 10:05:31 PM »

Well Chuck if you don't have much yard have you considered a Vertical. I'm not sure what bands you would like to operate but some verticals will cover most bands. You could use a dipole even if you had to bend it to fit your yard. I used a Triangle shaped Horizontal loop that was 75 feet on each side fed with R/G 59 into a tuner, it was only 25 feet up between 3 trees. I worked everywhere on 100w. A dipole will work much better than a long wire. If you a really small one band dipole you can use two mobile whips mounted like a dipole and get them up high. Theres always the G5RV dipole for all bands. Bend it any shape you can to fit your lot. Remember, experimenting is what its all about, pick up a copy of the Antenna Handbook. It has a lot of antenna ideas that you could try.

73's
Doug
KE4VBG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 09:18:33 PM »

By the way Chuck the Alpha Delta DX-CC would be a good choice. If you check out the October 2003 issue of QST they show you how to build one just like it. It's simple and will work just the same. Look at the Hints & Kinks column. I understand the Money issue so I like to make all my antennas.

73's
Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: