Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best HF for christmas  (Read 783 times)
LU1HQV

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2003, 09:30:49 PM »

What you think??
What is the best HF actually??
I think the figth is between ten tec orion, icom 746proII and yaesu 1000MP V... sorry kenwood...
what you think?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 03:17:17 PM »

Best, for what?

Ease of use: MP MK V
Prettiest panel display: 756PRO2
Best receiver performance on crowded band: Orion
But tricky to operate with a long learning curve: Also Orion!

WB2WIK/6
KC5DFP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 10:25:27 AM »

I had the Mark V for 2 years and now have the Pro II for about 1 year. The Pro II is easier to use overall and significantly easier to find signals using the band scope.  IMHO this is what it is all about, finding signals on the band and making contacts. I had to put the INRAD IF mod in the Mark V in order to keep up with the Pro IIs sensitivity, but for me the Pro II still hears slightly better. On strong signal rejection capabilities, the Pro II did a better job than the Mark V, but being fair, I didn’t have but one extra filter in the radio, as I didn’t want to spend the extra $600.  Also, I consistently get excellent unsolicited audio reports with the Pro II, which I rarely got them on the Mark V. This was using the same Heil microphone too!

The two areas that I do miss on the Mark V is the second receiver and VFO knob. The PRO II had Dual Watch, but it fall short of the Mark Vs abilities in this category. Also, the Pro II does not have a CW spot feature. This can be difficult at times.

Both radios are top-notch performers, but I favor the Pro II where others might favor the Mark V. If it came down to the Pro II and the Mark V, I recommend the Pro II.

I haven’t used any of the other radios, but from what I’ve read the Orion is the one to go with, that is if you have the extra cash.  Good Luck and Happy Holidays!
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 12:31:35 PM »

Early reviews on the Ten Tec Orion show it to have the best receiver ever in a ham transceiver.  (No, not on every spec, but overall.)  I was talking to a local ham who has one and has had just about everything else ever made, including an Icom IC-756ProII and a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.  He claims he's never had a better receiver as well.

If you can't hear them you can't work them.  If I had the money the Orion would be my choice.  Sadly, I don't.
K8DIT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 01:53:37 PM »

I propose the Jupiter. It's the entry level IF DSP, A/D
transciever for the discriminating ham on a budget. You get some of what the high end rigs provide, yet a satisfying radio for the new century. The scales will fall from your eyes as you listen to the spectacular audio coming from the speaker. You can explore the very complete computer GUI, with gusto. Get a taste of what analog to digital radio tastes like while enjoying some of the flavor of old fashioned radio.
The AM on this rig resembles old tube rig audio when on AM. You can vary the listening bandwidth to enjoy a wider range of audio response, a luxury. While the spectum scope isnt in color, you get an idea of what having one can and cannot do.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: