Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m/70cm HT need advice/info  (Read 751 times)
SP5QIP

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2004, 05:57:50 PM »

Hello.
I want to buy radio with 2m/70cm transmit, and wideband am/fm/wfm/(ssb).
I `m thinking about VX-5R or better TH-F6A. I need to know how is rx quality and sensivity on HF, and rest of the reception range on Kenwood, is it really worth buying only for ssb reception. Or better should I stay with Yaesu? What are your opinions (I saw product reviews here).
Thanks, Mike
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 03:45:37 PM »

Hi Mike,

I had both of these HTs, but I sold the TH-F6A. I liked everything about the Yaesu better... easier to program (even without the software) and the receive sounded better to me. I'm sure others prefer the Kenwood over the Yaesu, but this was my experience. Also, I never made use of the 222 MHz band on the Kenwood, as there are few active 222 repeaters around here.

The shortwave bands sound good on the Yaesu... it will pull in stronger SW stations with just the telescoping antenna I have, and I have also gotten good results hooked up to longer wire antennas. I should mention that I do not use the VX-5R for SWL too often, though- I have a Sangean ATS 505 for that. Still, I really like and use the VX-5R for 2 meters/440, and also for listening to police and fire bands around here. It's a great little radio that I highly recommend.
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 03:46:51 PM »

I forgot to mention: I wasn't fond of the SSB capabilities of the Kenwood, and find that I didn't use them beyond a quick couple of listens. Your experience may vary!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: