Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldtimer Question  (Read 658 times)
KA9VAA

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2004, 12:13:06 AM »

Though I don't like admitting it I am getting old, eye sight is fading and hearing isn't that great either.
Been a ham off and on since 1957. I have 3 complete stations, a kw 520se and all acc, a kw 820 and a kw 830 plus all acc. I would like to get something that I don't have to tune with every band change. I run mostly ssb now that the hearing is not so good. I'd rather have something with a built in PS and have a general coverage receiver and the warc bands, 100 watts is fine (have a old henry 2k). I wonder if anyone has any suggestion, I don't do contesting anymore, just a little talking.
One more thing, I don't have a lot to spend (SS is not much). I prefer kenwood but know little about the newer rigs, just what I read, some reviews of the icom rigs sound good also.

Thank you.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 03:09:49 PM »

Problem is, while the new rigs don't require any PA tuning, they can have quite a long learning period.  Not many modern rigs you can take out of the carton and figure out how to actually get on the air and make contacts without reading a 100-page manual and taking many hours sitting in front of the equipment, learning how to use it.  Most all the newer rigs are very menu-driven with so many hundreds of possible settings it can be mind-boggling trying to set one up.  

If you've already gone through this with computers and other modern appliances, maybe it won't be too bad for you; but I've known several old-timers who became so discouraged with trying to use new gear that they simply gave up.  And *that's* sad!

Having said that, I'd recommend you visit a ham retail store if at all possible, so you can sit down and "test drive" a few of the new rigs to see what you like, or what you don't.  The TS-830S was a pretty "high end" rig that is very feature-rich and has wonderful performance in many ways; a similar solid-state "no tune" rig might be an IC-756PROII (as one example) or maybe a Kenwood TS-870, which I think was recently discontinued.  These rigs are in the $2000 price range without options, and without an accessory 13.8V regulated power supply.  However, of course to help finance the purchase of a new rig, you could certainly sell two (or maybe all three!) of your older ones.  

Lucky for you, the TS520, 820 and 830 have a big following and are still worth quite a bit of money.

Good luck!

WB2WIK/6
K7ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »

I think we are all getting older... hi. I have been active since 1953 and have the larger Icom 761, 765 and 775 rigs. The 775 used some menu set items that are mostly set once and forget. My favorite is the 761, it can be bought for $600-700 and has one of the best receivers out there along with a built in power supply and antenna tuner. Just be sure the PLL trimmer caps (4) have been replaced. A big plus is that the 761 is also a big rig.... we can still see all the knobs and switches better as we age. The Icom rigs should have a external in-line relay between them and the Henry amp as the internal Icom T/R relay doesn't like the higher switching voltage of some amps.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: