Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS830s w/ G5RV antenna?  (Read 1373 times)
K2MMM

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2004, 07:37:24 PM »

Does anybody run this setup? I just picked up a very clean TS830s w/ Shure hand mic,orig manual and sales brochure for $325. I was wondering if anybody has this setup and how well it works? I suppose I should start looking for a AT230S? Any feedback would help. I love this rig already and I haven't even transmitted yet!!!
73 Mike K2MMM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:29:55 PM »

Rigs and antennas are mutually exclusive, and I'm sure lots of people have used TS-830Ss with G5RVs.

The G5RV really does need a tuner to cover all its bands, and the AT-230 might not be a bad accessory; although any good wide-range tuner rated 500W or more should handle the job.  (I say "500W" rather than "100W" because so many "100W to 300W" rated tuners can't handle any power at all under serious mismatch conditions, especially on the lower bands.  Most "kilowatt" rated tuners are barely adequate for 100W applications, at times.)

Almost everyone loves (or loved, in the past) the TS-830S.  It was truly a great rig, and there's a lot of them out there on the air, still.

WB2WIK/6
VE3BWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:08:25 PM »

Hi Mike,

I have an 830S and an Alpha Delta CC dipole that isn't very different than a G5RV.  It works great.  I've only been licensed for HF since September 03 and have worked about 40 countries already - almost all on 20 metres SSB.  I use an MFJ 969 tuner that I got at a good price on eBay and am very happy with the setup

Because I'm in the middle of Toronto on a downtown postage-stamp-sized lot, I'm limited when it comes to antennas.  I'm currently trying to organize putting up a Cushcraft MA5B mini-beam - I hope that will get my signal out better than the wire antenna, which is only up about 25 feet

In my limited experience, at 100 watts almost any decent tuner will do the job.  Just get out there!

Chuck
VE3BWA
K2MMM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 08:40:43 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I have to get an antenna tuner and get the G5RV up so I've got some work to do!!
How do you like the 830S? I just got mine and have been using it as a receiver only.I wanted one of these rigs years ago but finally was able to pick one up. Very clean.Can't wait to get it up and running.
73 mike
k2mmm
K2MMM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 08:42:53 PM »

O -sorry--Welcome to the hobby Chuck!!! 73 mike k2mmm
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 10:28:34 PM »

Hello Mike. You just can't go wrong with a kenwood 830s. I suggest getting the 230 vfo for it though. That vfo makes it just about as stable as most of the solid state rigs. I normally run an icom 775dsp...but i have no reservations about my love for the ole 830. Put one of Bob Heils goldlines on it and you'll be told how "smooth" your tx audio sounds too. I've owned mine now since "82" and normally run it for a few days every month. Never had a problem with it either. You got a keeper there. As for the g5rv myself i'd rather just go to lowes and buy some wire and make my own dipole. Get you a spool of number 12 stranded and a few insulators from radio shack and save your money.

John WR8D
W4MCX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »

I have run this setup for mny years....the G5RV is fine for most work...I also use a SB-220 I rebuild from a physical wreck and am having a blast..the old stuff really works and you'll find that no matter what mic you use, the 830 puts out great audio...  73's Mike
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »

hi Mike,

Join other Kenwood TS-8xx/5xx fans here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: