Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distance of the amplifiers from the rigs  (Read 724 times)
K0XXX

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2004, 05:30:33 PM »

I have several rack mounted amplifiers (VHF and UHF) that I would like to mount in one 7ft tall rack. The problem is (or rather, might be) that the rack would be located about 12 to 15 feet from my operating position. Other than being inconvenient, will I have a problem with this distance? I will be using hardline for all of the runs.

I am at the point of shack construction where I could rewire for 220 outlets that would be closer to the operating position and re-arrange things if I really have to or should.

Thanks!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 05:33:25 PM »

The problem would be *major* inconvenience, I would think.  Any amplifier having any tuning adjustments needs to be tuned, and adjusted.  Especially on the higher bands (432 MHz+), where thermal stability is a real issue.  I've never had a 70cm power amplifier that didn't need tweaking when it's cold, then again when it's hot, etc.  If my amplifiers were fifteen feet away, they may as well be outside, since I wouldn't be able to make any adjustments to them while operating....

WB2WIK/6
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:30:31 AM »

Having the amps close to the operating position would be a MUCH better idea to allow for adjustment, as Steve said.  But the use of hardline (presumably from the radios or exciters to the amplifiers) may be overkill, and prone to damage if moved periodically for maintenance or even cleaning.  You might consider using good quality RG-213/U cable for interconnects; it's much more flexible than hardline, and for the short runs you describe, the loss should not be a major factor.
K0XXX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:16:38 PM »

Thanks for the input. I am building a ham shack on the hill over looking my home. The reason this placement of the amplifiers was considered is that I have aquired a corner section of "counter top" that has a long section on one side. I plan on using this as my "desk". I would have liked to have used the corner for the operating position and not had to cut the counter. This would require placing the rack at the end of the counter, some 12 or 15 feet away.

Now, I will cut the counter, placing the rack just to the left of the corner operating position, and then continue the counter on the other side of the rack.

The reason that I was planning on using hardline jumpers, was only because I have been given some that would have been perfect in length for the original positions.

I appreciate the help here. Right now the shack is about 3/4 wired. It won't be any trouble at all to move a couple of the 220 outlets to the new spot for the amps.

Thanks again!
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 09:59:06 PM »

If you have the hardline jumpers already made, then by all means use them.  But unless you have easy access behind the equipment, (a bit of envy here if you have that luxury!) flexible cable might be a bit more convenient.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: