Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Sggestions  (Read 619 times)
KI4APE

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2004, 04:24:49 PM »

In the near future I will purchase my first HF rig but I need some advice. I am looking for something that I can use at home and in my car.Would like to spend about $350. My only requirements are that the rig operate CW, SSB, and has adj PWR up to 100W.  What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Eric/KI4APE
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 09:06:16 PM »

Icom 725 or 707 I think would be in your
price range and feature requirment.

73 de Ronnie
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 05:16:47 PM »

I'd avoid the Icom IC-725 or IC-726 like the plague.  Talk about a noisy receiver!

If you can find a Yaesu FT-890 in your price range with the autotuner (one recently sold in this area for $325) that would be your absolute best choice.  The Icom IC-735 is also a very good choice if you want general coverage with a decent if less than spectacular receiver.  The IC-730 probbut no is just a notch below the Icom IC-730 but is very rugged.

If you can live with 50W (which is 3db or less than one S unit below 100W) I strongly recommend the Ten Tec Scout with a good selection of band modules.  It is MUCH smaller than any of the above.  You can find one right around $350.  Great receiver and the Jones filter is quite effective. For me this would probably be choice #1.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: