Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 756 ProII vs Ten Tec Orion  (Read 637 times)
KB9WIS

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2004, 02:48:24 PM »

Has anyone compared the DSP capabilities between these two rigs?  Which one do you feel has the best noise reduction and QRM fighting receive characteristics?

Any opinions?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 01:40:55 PM »

I've never used the Orion, so this is "opinion," based only on the QST Product Review, and what I've heard from users:

Orion's NB works exceptionally well because it uses narrow flooring filters not available in the PRO-II (or really in anything else), and can thus blank noise without creating artifacts that result from blanking.

WB2WIK/6
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 05:36:52 PM »

One of the nice things about the Orion is that Ten Tec has a 30 day money back policy.  If you don't like it you can return it and only lose shipping costs.  Somehow I think Ten Tec has a lot of confidence in their products Smiley

Sadly Orion is out of my price range.

Caity
K7VO
W0JSB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 05:07:52 PM »

I had a brief play with the Orion - if you purchase the narrower roofing filters you can dramatically cut down on the amount of QRM handled by the DSP.  The roar on 80 meters almost disappears with the 250Hz filter.  In contesting situations a guy 500hz away could be +30dB and not interfere.  It's incredible.

I would trade all of my ham gear for the Orion if I could get one.

73 Jason N1SU
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 12:03:35 PM »

I'm gonna refinance the house - values are up - and hope to tap into the equity to get me an Orion.  I am tired of the drool stains on my shirt from reading the reviews and thinking about having one.
73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: