Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Rig: Alinco DX77 or Icom 718  (Read 2618 times)
KG4ZTF

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2004, 04:58:23 PM »

I'm coming closer to settling in on a 1st rig and have narrowed the field down to these two - the Alinco DX77 and the Icom 718.  I think once you add the 500Hz CW filter to the 718 you're talking apples to apples on price, so I would love to hear comparative thoughts on these radios (I've been through the reviews on them, now looking for some final editorial comments).  I primarily want to run CW (been listening to the MFJ 418 now for some time, feeling more confident).  I thought initially that I could get by with 40m & 20m monobanders, but when you look at the pricing of a couple of those, well - you might as well go for something w/gen. coverage recieve and multiple bands (I think I'd also like the SWL aspect of gen. coverage receive).  I also need to run attic antennas (CC&R), and am thinking that 100watts might make things easier than 5 watts - though I am a newbie and have arrived at this notion only from reading articles and forums like this one.  Looking forward to hearing thoughts on this.  Lastly - advice on attic antennas and feedlines would also be much appreciated (saw the article in QST this month, got me thinking).

Thanks,
Jeff
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 08:32:01 PM »

I'd go with the IC-718.  I'd still go with the IC-718, even if the DX77 ran rings around it, performance-wise.  Reason is, Icom is likely to still be around several years from now when you may need parts or service, and I'm not so sure about Alinco.

WB2WIK/6

KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 01:42:19 PM »

Not being much of an Icom fan for much of anything, I can tell you a nice story. I have been looking around for a low cost rig and checking around the web and the reviews, the Icom 718 always comes around the bend and smacks me in the back of the head. It seems that the radio has a following and also a good track record to back it up. It seems like a very good choice for a new ham and it has some well thought out features you would want or would want to add to it.. There seems to be quite a few for sale in the for sale area, you may want to consider one with a few options for a good price. If you are near a dealer, bring your license and sit down in front of one before you buy it. Going by the reviews its a gem though... I wouldnt limit myself to one or two choices, there are some other low cost rigs with lots of features to be had for a nice price. Dont jump the gun, make smart choice when buying and ask other hams for help like your doing now.. As far as the Alinco goes, I am sure its ok, but check the reviews. I havent seen or heard much of them but the 718 makes good sense to me.. Regards.. Richy N2ZD
KG4ZTF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 11:52:34 AM »

Thanks (all) for your thoughts.  While re-reading the IC718 review (ARRL website) I noticed that the CW keying waveform exhibits an initial spike.  I'm not terribly familiar with why this might happen, but wanted to better understand how this may or may not manifest itself while operating.  Is this something that's going to be a noticable distraction - or only something the extremes of lab testing will unearth?  The Alinco radio did not appear to have this issue, and it makes me wonder if this is something to prioritize the decision against.

Jeff
KG4ZTF
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 06:10:52 PM »

If this is a deciding factor, you may want to try the rig with an external keyer to see if you can prevent it that way. If its an issue with the radio, check the mods.dk site to see if someone had a fix for it.. Regards.. Richy N2ZD
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 06:18:29 PM »

An alternate source of info is the Yahoo IC-718 group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic718/

All 718 users, and you should be able to an answer re: cw key clicks there.
I saw the same ARRL review.  Its intresting that there are no comments on clicks in the eham reviews.

BTW, I like my 718.  

Levert
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 10:41:32 AM »

Hi, I had a DX77 as my first rig, and it was a great machine for the price on CW, and the IC-718 wasn't out yet. The biggest flaw in the ALINCO DX77/70T is the NB!. It has to be the WORST NB in all of amateur radio. So if you're in a noisy environment, or mobile, get the ICOM.  ALINCO...REDESIGN THAT AWFUL NB!!!
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 02:53:32 PM »

I LOVE my IC-718! It is an easy to operate, no frills rig at a low price. Highly recommended. I don't know anything about the Alinco, but as someone else here said, Alinco's future is not really certain and Icom is more likely to be around in a few years.

AE4NR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 09:09:29 PM »

I own an Alinco and would not get another the NB is lousy and in my opinion there is no comparison between the 718 and the DX 77.Along with others I would suggest that you consider the Yaesu ft 840 that will be my next backup rig they are available at a fair price and are one of the Yaesu workhorses if you could find a yaesu ft 900 you will pay a little more for it but well worth it also the Kenwood ts 50 is a nice little rig my honest opinon  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: