Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Furniture  (Read 1554 times)
K8BY

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2003, 07:37:52 AM »

Does anyone know of a  commercial source of  amateur radio desks and shelving...I am unable to construct such items...I am especially interested in shelving for extra equipment......tnx, 73, K8BY
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 10:55:47 AM »

If you are looking for "communications" center desks, etc. (for the home) I might suggest this link:

http://www.homevisions.com/hvprod/page2.asp?Pid=483&partner=61

just copy and paste it into your browser.

If, on the other hand you want something a little more "COMMERCIAL"  (IE; professional / institutional) then I would strongly suggest you take a gander at:

http://www.winsted.com/Winsted.htm

or perhaps:

http://www.spacewise.com/

one of the Three above will probably have what you are looking for.

CAM - N7NBB

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 11:49:37 AM »

Have you looked at your local office supply outlet? There are many, many styles of office/computer furniture that are very usable for radio desks. Most of them have some sort of hutch/shelf units that match and are good for extra equipment as long as you are not trying to put heavy amps or boat anchors on them.

I have an L-shaped unit that has my HF radios, amp and antenna coupler on the elbow of the desk, the computer on the left side and the VHF/packet stuff in the hutch on the right. Sorry, don't have a photo handy and don't remember the manufacturer's model number.

Hope this helps,

Lon - Baltimore
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 07:20:22 PM »

Sorry for the additional post, but just thought about this.

No matter what you finally decide on for desks, shelves etc.  Please be sure to provide for ADEQUATE VENTILATION, so that Radios, Power Supplies, Computers, and what have you do not overheat.

Small little cubby holes for equipment may look neat and tidy, but if the Finals on your transmitter, or the pass transistors on your power supply can't BREATHE, then their life will be shortened considerably.

Cam - N7NBB
W8BYH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 08:33:53 PM »

If you live near a major metropolitan area check the yellow pages for used furniture dealers.  There are always businesses upgrading/moving/going under that surplus out their old furniture.  If you spend some time looking you are sure to find something close to what you want.  This is how I got my desk and racks.  The good thing about 'professional' grade furniture is that it is built to take a good bit of use/abuse and still remain functional.  It may need a paint job but will be perfectly servicable.  My only hesitation would be purchasing upholstered furniture (like old office chairs).  Goodness knows what's been spilled on them and not cleaned up!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 12:55:53 PM »

Regardless of what you buy, build, borrow or barter, I'd recommend....

-Don't use any sort of cabinet having a "closed" rear panel...makes it very difficult for equipment to ventilate properly, and nearly impossible to run all the cabling required for an efficient and flexible station.

-And, if at all possible, locate your equipment a bit away from the wall behind it -- makes it much easier to change cabling, swap out equipment or perform any kind of routine servicing.  

WB2WIK/6
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 09:54:07 PM »

I picked up a real good ham table at a used office furniture place... I told them what I was after, and $15 got me this sturdy work table that was scratched, gouged, mangled... just the kind of thing for a ham shack! I screwed down a piece of masonite for a desk surface and it's been serving me just fine. Who cares if it's not from Ethan Allen or Thomasville?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 10:28:51 PM »

Check with your local govt offices, many state or local govt sell their used and surplus equipment.

KD5VHF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 11:26:39 PM »

AD7DB Wrote"I picked up a real good ham table at a used office furniture place... I told them what I was after, and $15 got me this sturdy work table that was scratched, gouged, mangled... just the kind of thing for a ham shack! I screwed down a piece of masonite for a desk surface and it's been serving me just fine. Who cares if it's not from Ethan Allen or Thomasville?
"  Hey David, I bet it LOOKS great on the air! ;-)  73 , Mike
W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 10:30:58 AM »

Go to home depot.  They have screw together shelving made of wood in 3-4 sizes.  Can be used to store stuff on, each shelf will hold about 250 pounds.  Assembly time is about 5 minutes.  They also have single level desk assemblies that you can put a 3-4 layer shelf assembly on top of.  Lots of neat stuff there.
Good Luck
Steve w4CNG
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 05:24:44 PM »

Check your local Thrift store. I picked up a huge and heavy solid Oak desk for $20. I used a belt sander to strip the top and refinish it. It had to be taken apart to move and get it in the house where it will stay even if I move!
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 01:22:25 PM »

Mike KD5VHF said:
"Hey David, I bet it LOOKS great on the air! ;-) 73 , Mike"

Yeah, the only thing I'm concerned about is if I get into ATV, I'll want to spruce it up so my shack won't look like such a dump!  
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 09:50:22 AM »

Gerry I have a real nice U-shaped desk that goes completley around my room.  In two corners I have corner units and have a computer on each corner. I have a 60 inch desk under my window and have the radios on that desk plus a laptop, a 36 inch desk has two printers and I have plenty of shelving units with hutches and 3 filing cabinets, two are the narrow cabinets and one the long filing cabinet.  Now this cost alot of money but it is well worth it.  I bought it all from Office Depot.  The top of each unit is a lite color and the bottom of everything is grey.  I along with my brother put it together.  I needed help because I am disabled.  But Office Depot will deliver to your home and for a small amt of money they will put it together for you if needed.

Hope this helps some. Good luck. I don't recommend junk because your radios deserve better and it will make you feel better when you have fellow hams over.  My two best friend hams come over and we are planning to do contests from my home as everything is right together.

73's have fun, Mike N0mud from Colorado
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 08:58:46 PM »

When I originally lived at my parents, I had a desk made of that cheap-o formica pressed wood crap. As the boatanchor collection grew, the desk's ability to support the weight declined. By the time I finally moved out, I had cut-up blocks of 2x4 supporting the desk and even more supporting the "stand" I had for up top. Sure, it worked.. it looked ok, but it wasn't my house to build anything permanent.

I'm getting married next year and plan to buy a house not too long after. Most of my gear still resides at my parents house as I am confined to a small apartment and a K2. I have at least a dozen large boatanchors and I would like the room to have at least half at the desk side by side at any given time.

I will pretty much have the basement to myself. I am planning on building a large corner desk/workbench that will at least be 10X10 or 10X20 to accomodate computers, a work bench, a build table for my r/c planes, and room to eat when I'm working a contest. There will be a raised tier that will be large, heavy and deep enough to accomodate boat anchor sized radios. The desk will be framed in 2X4's and will probably have 3/4" plywood for the desktop surface. The entire ensemble will be anchored into the wall. Power will probably be ran to the entire thing.

The rest of the shack will consist of many storage shelving units arranged in "aisles". It may be a bit tight in the shack, but all will be organized efficiently and neatly.. I have been thinking of this for quite some time. I'll run some sort of feedline switching system I'm sure...

Basically, that's my dream shack/work area/etc. Nothing fancy, just large and accomodating.

Heh.. the YL, she can do whatever she wants with the rest of the house!

James, KB2FCV
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 03:17:19 PM »

If you're looking to go "first class" with commercial communications furniture, take a look at Watson Furniture

http://www.watsonfurniture.com

Watson makes modular furniture for 911 Call Centers, Public Safety dispatch centers, etc.  Their furniture is very flexible in setup and you can get rack panel fronts or sloping desk tops that angle the radio/computer gear just right for operating.

Also, your local public safety or 911 dispatch center occassionally sells their older dispatch furniture when they upgrade.

Not cheap!  But "radio-friendly" and very first class.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: