Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CRT or LCD monitor  (Read 730 times)
VE2FK

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:01:54 AM »

Which one will give me less noise in reception.
The old CRT type monitor or new LCD.
Tks
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 06:49:04 PM »

I had interferance from my crt and changed over to lcd hoping to eliminate the noise. The noise was less but still there. Just in different locations on the dial. My lcd is a ViewSonic VA-520. As it turns out, the switching power supply is built into the base of the monitor. I feel as though if the power supply was located in the ac cord like so many other monitors I would be able to isolate the noise with ferrite chokes. Moving the apex location of my dipoles away from the house helped a bit but did not cure the problem. Maybe this bit of info will help you choose a LCD that will work for you. The small footprint and lighter weight really is a plus. Good luck. Max
WA8EBM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 04:22:34 AM »

Sony Trinitron CRT's have extensive shielding and are very quiet.  Dell used them in their top of the  line monitors.
In the Police Comm unit I work at we have about 40 Dell 19 inch LCD monitors and use Planar LCD's for the 911 touch screens.  
Our rx equipment is not located in the office but I would presume that the comm equipment designers did a lot of research regarding any noise generation.
If you can find a small handheld SW receiver take it with you to check out the display models at the computer store.
                              Mike  WA8EBM            
KD4COX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »

Any CRT or LCD can be noisy. In the case of my CRT's.. one is very noisy, one (Sony trinitron) is not except for one birdy I have linked to it.

My laptop (which has an LCD of course) is quiet as a mouse on battery, but the power supply really makes a mess of things. If I run it off of the 12 volt poles on my station power supply, it runs very smooth and noiseless.

I think with lcd's you are going to be looking at mainly PS noise, and many of them use very cheap ps's. If you get one with an external PS, you can swap around till you finally find one. The extra desk space is wonderful, I might add.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: