Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Icom 756Pro (not II) vs. New Icom 746Pro  (Read 1166 times)
AD5PC

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2003, 09:52:53 PM »

Anybody have any opinions as to which would be a better choice for a good first rig that will also provide me a lot of long term value.  I'd like to be able to work DX, including (hopefully) doing a fair bit of code work on 20m and longer, along with the usual SSB phone and maybe some digital modes (I'm a software engineer at work, so coming home to play with the computer doesn't always sound that enticing... Wink ).

I can get either one of the above for about the same price ($1300), so it comes down to whether the 756Pro is sufficiently better than the 746Pro that a used 756Pro is preferable to a new 746Pro, with a warranty and all the good stuff that goes along with that.

Any opinions?  I know that the 746Pro has gotten some bad press on here from folks who have had TX go out on them after about 18 months, but I spoke to the guys at Texas Towers yesterday (I work near their shop), and they indicated that they hadn't had an incident related to that since about April, and they thought it was limited to the very earliest batch of production.  Anything you guys would want to contribute on that topic, either?

Anyway, I'm going to need to make a decision one way or the other pretty quickly here, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott/AD5PC
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:39:11 PM »

Given that choice, I'd go with the new 746PRO.  Not for performance, but for the warranty -- the 756PROs that are non-II versions are all out of warranty now; and of course, the "II" version did resolve some problems found in the original PRO.

Actually, given what's out there on the market, I'd try like heck to find a very used and beat up IC-775DSP, which runs circles around the 756PROII, the 746PRO and anything else ever sold by Icom.

WB2WIK/6

KA7GKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 12:01:54 PM »

Scott, I vote that you buy the new 746-pro
please read this slowly and I promise this is not double talk but it can get confusing if you read it using the Evelyn wood speed reading course!

The evolution of the 756 series radio is positive [even though it's at the expense of many radio users]
the different generations of the 756..756, 756-pro, 756-pro2 in my opinion should have been offered as techy upgrades...

the evolution of the 746 and 746-pro is also stunning..

the transmit death issue was due to a bad bias IC and was non specific..they had a bushel of good and bad chips in the hopper so-to-speak and thus not specific lot or serial number sequences are indicated.
I think the failure complaints are decreasing as Icom is addressing this.

the really big deal....

dsp chip sets inside the radios are evolving! and really fast..similar to your obsolete computer...you won't buy a two year old computer will you? well the icom line is now similar.

the 756 series have gone through various dsp chip sets. not to get into a rant..
the adsp21061l sharc chip set has been the dsp for the 756-pro-2
the 746-pro uses their newer faster tms320vc33-120 chip set. faster clock 60mhz VS 40mhz
Now I was told by a somewhat reliable source that now in the production line instead of using different chip sets for both models...the NEW 756-pro2 production run also uses the new 746-pro chip set.
and of course the bells and whistles are the same/different between models.

to keep this in perspective the new 7800 will have the tms320c6713-gdp dsp chip set and that clock speed is 225/200mhz!!!!!

bottom line buy the new 746-pro
you have warranty, you have latest and greatest]
and you are not buying someone else's problems!
for a long term investment  buy the 746-pro now and you'll be very happy even if there are things on it you won't use now..but you'll have them tomorrow..

regards, marty             ka7gkn@arrl.net

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 01:48:48 AM »

I bought a used 756PRO and just LOVE it!!!!!
A great radio that is better than the 746........
(I had the same exact decision to make a while back)
I have heard all of the horror stories on the 746
with interest. But buying new you do get the
warranty.........  
I have had lots of luck buying used.
If you could find a 756PRO that you could try
out hands on, That would be my choice. Or buying
one used from a dealer if buying from an individual
is not your cup of tea. (I would NEVER consider
buying used from anyone other than a licensed ham
who I could talk one on one to over the phone)
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Be sure to read all of the reviews here on Eham
first!
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 09:23:22 PM »

Humm.. maybe for a first ring icom 746 pro is sufficient...
But... why take a look about kenwood 570d??
Have a lot of good receptor and no is a lot expensive!
good luck!
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 09:28:25 PM »

II parts:
The rest, buy a bigger antenna you can install!!
If you put 1000 on an expensive rig, you must put 10 more time in antenna...
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 12:35:43 PM »

I have a 746PRO, purchased in December.  Though I've had a couple little hiccups, I believe they were more my jittery nerves because of the bad press I've seen.

I'm pretty happy with the rig.  It's not too small and has lots of nice bells and whistles.  You might also look at the Yaesu FT-847, which runs about 1500 dollars.  I purchased the ICOM because the price was right...$1300 with antenna tuner and power supply.  The Kenwood TS-2000 is a nice rig too but too small for my tastes.  If you're looking for a used rig maybe an FT-1000(D) would also be a good choice.

Good luck.

73's
Bill
KD5ZXA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 11:41:37 PM »

I just received a 746 pro bought new in the box yesterday that failed in less than 24 hours needless to say its was returned to the supplier today. Stay away from the 746 pro
 They still have problems
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: