Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turner Mic and Yaesu 890  (Read 1025 times)
N0TJO

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2004, 01:51:15 PM »

I would like to add a Turner mike to my Yaesu 890. Will one of the older 454X/254 (Hi Z)/253(Low Z) Mics be able to work effectively if wired? The 890 manual states a mic impedance of about 5-600 ohms is preferred. Is one of these suitable? I have a D104 (non powered) now but it sounds hollow on the other end. Thanks for any assistance. Brian/N0TJO  
KC6MMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:42:45 PM »

try the 253. your cartridge in the Astatic D-104 might be bad, check it. also if you are running an amplified stand, just "crack it open" not very much adjustment, use the MIC control on the rig for the rest. I have had the 890AT, the Astatic tup-9 stand & D-104 are a good combo for this rig.
and it  is about the best AM rig they made (my opinion), adjust the processor's gain & tone and it is awesome, sounds as nice as a Helicrafters or any Collins.
TNX
Rich
N0TJO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 03:56:28 PM »

Thanks for info, I have the D104 with G stand non-powered older version with only 3 wires. It powers up with muc gain almost full up and processor on. I am heard but all comment on how hollow it sounds. I assume no way to test the cartridge? I found a suitable replacement crystal element from mouser #25lm024 that I may try for only 5$. Do you think this is best shot? Thanks for info.
KC6MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 01:02:49 AM »

ah, you have the non amplified stand. I assumed you had a amplified stand, the impedance of the D-104 is high for that rig (and most newer rigs) and wont play well..you should pick up an amplified stand like the TUG8  TUG9 TUP9. good chance the cartridge is good in the D-104 it's self.
if memory serves me... check the D-104 Element with your OM, you should have 1000 - 6000 ohm's resistance if it's good. it's been a while, but I think that's the ball park on it.
if you get an amplified stand you wont need the processor for SSB, just AM.
TNX
Rich
WH7EM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 02:35:18 PM »

I, too, have an old unamplified D-104 on a G stand. I'd like to be  able to use it with my Yaesu FT-897.

Would another solution be to modernize the mike with a Heil element? Assuming the mike's old internal wiring is in good shape (haven't tested it yet), wouldn't a modern element and a modern cord and 8-pin connector eliminate the impedance mismatch and do the job for me?
KC6MMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 07:35:13 PM »

"I, too, have an old unamplified D-104 on a G stand. I'd like to be able to use it with my Yaesu FT-897.

Would another solution be to modernize the mike with a Heil element? Assuming the mike's old internal wiring is in good shape (haven't tested it yet), wouldn't a modern element and a modern cord and 8-pin connector eliminate the impedance mismatch and do the job for me?"
Evening. I bet it would. it would be interesting to find out if you need to run the processor to get the heil to drive your rig....if you try this could you post on the net hear?
TNX
Rich  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: