Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electrovoice 664 microphone  (Read 720 times)
KB8VIV

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2003, 03:01:11 PM »

Hi gang..A friend of mine has an electrovoice 664 microphone that he says would sound great on me ts450/dsp-100.  Anyone have any experience with these microphones and ssb operation? Thanks in advance..

Steve
kb8viv
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 07:36:58 PM »

It's a good, low-output dynamic mike that's pretty to look at...

As is the case with *any* microphone, you really must try it with your rig to see how it sounds.  With my TS-850S, the E-V 664 is so-so, nothing to write home about; however, I don't have a TS-450S to try it with.

KB8VIV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 07:58:50 PM »

Ok, thanks a lot for the reply..

73's de kb8viv
steve
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 08:57:12 PM »

It's been a long time since I had a 664 and wish I still had it! They are classics now. This model was used in live sound, PA and recording applications as well as in ham shacks.  You may find it to sound muddy or excessively bassy.  This is common when connecting a wide range mic to a SSB transceiver.  If that turns out to be the case, the solution is to roll off some of that low frequency energy and the 664 will begin to get smooth and sweet sounding with plenty of mids and highs.  With some experimenting and tweeking, this mic might sound great for you!

73, Mike W8MW
W2EJG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 12:14:58 PM »

W8MV:
I have a 664 if you would like it. Please e-mail me off list at stan510@atlantic.net if interested. Please put your callsign in subject box...

Bob W2EJG
WB2SCT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 11:18:52 AM »

Recently acquired an Electrovoice 664 microphone to use with my Collins S line.  The microphone doesn't have any output at all. I suspect it may be the on/ off switch but I'm not sure and will do further tests.  Does anyone have experience servicing these mikes? If it's not the switch what else could it be? Does the mic cartridge go bad over time and if so can it be replaced?
VE3CWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 06:37:23 PM »

I currently use an EV-664 on my Kenwood 850. Due to its fairly low output, I feed it through a small Behringer mixer. It suits my voice characteristics very well.  Previously I have used the same mic with a Kenwood 830, Yaesu 101ZD, Heath 101, and other older rigs. I like the mic, and I do receive complimentary reports on the audio quality. I am sure it will work well and sound good with your TS450, but will likely require a pre-amplifier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: