Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions regarding a FT1000 Mk. V Field  (Read 699 times)
KC4ZGK

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2004, 05:33:30 PM »

Hello all, I am considering a FT1000 Mk. V Field as a replacement for my trusty 570DG. I have a few Yaesu questions for those of you who currently or previously have owned this radio.
( 1 ) Is this radio reliable? I have NO desire to have to send something this expensive off for service.
( 2 ) How is this radio with out any additional filters, I cant afford to purchase any filters for it at this time?
( 3 ) How is the display, I played with one a year ago at HRO and it was so dim I could hardly read it?
Thats, all for now, thanks in advance for any advice.
73's Ed KC4ZGK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 01:42:26 PM »

I think you'll be very pleased with the MK V Field, compared with the 570D.  It's a very substantial rig that will likely take you a few weeks or longer to learn, and appreciate.

The MK V Field is equipped "stock" with adequate filtering (as well as DSP) for most applications, in my opinion.  The second receiver is a huge asset, and although the rig has a lot of menu functions, almost every single control you could possibly need or want to adjust is on the front panel, unlike the small 570D.  The display brightness is adjustable.

Regarding reliability, that's always an unknown.  There's no guarantee any rig will continue working, and one can only hope that failures will be early component mortalities that can be repaired free under warranty, rather than later when it's out of warranty!  By design, I think the rig's reliable; however component failures can and do occur in all electronic systems, and failures due to shock and vibration during shipment, or workmanship issues during assembly, add to those.  Remember the rig's undoubtedly taken a few hard bounces by the time it gets to you, since it was manufactured thousands of miles away.

This last issue is one great reason to buy such a new rig *in a retail store* where you are there personally to try it out, in the store, before bringing it home.  When I try out a "demo" rig at HRO or wherever, if I'm satisfied with it and want the rig, I pretty much insist on them selling me THAT one, not a different rig in a sealed carton.  The rig in the sealed carton is an unknown entity that I haven't tried out; the demo rig is one I've already used and was satisfied with.  There's quite a difference!

Good luck!

WB2WIK/6
AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 08:48:09 PM »

Or consider an IC 756 PRO.  You don't need to buy any filters, and the display is super.  The used prices are quite attractive now, and you can get one pretty easily that is just like new.  As an owner of one, plus a PRO II, plus a 570DG, I can say that you will notice a considerable improvement in receiver performance over the 570, for about 10 additional pounds and a bit more desk space.
  73, andy, ae6y
VE3QAC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:51:35 PM »

I haved owned the rig for a several months and then sold it before the big price drop.
The rig requires about $600.00 worth of additional filters and a voice recorder that is lousy for another $250.00.
The display tends to be a bit dim on start up, but perks up after a minute or so.
The noise blanker is not effective and the noise reduction circuit is not within the AGC loop!
Essentially, just another twenty year old design with an ineffective DSP tacked on the end of the receiver chain.
Also, many of the circuit board sub assemblies are made off shore to Japan and the poor quality shows.
However, the receiver audio is excellent and the transmitt quality is good.
I sold my field and got the Icom 756 Pro II, and I am glad I did.
I would not recommend the Yaesu 1000MP MV field!
K6TBR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 05:04:35 PM »

I WOULD recommend this rig!  I had one for just over 6 mos and would still have it if my XYL wouldn't have upgraded it with my present FT-1000D.  I was more than satisfied with the rig's performance for the price.  The feature list is long and though the learning curve was a bit steep, I had the rig 'down' in under 3mos of "casual" use.  It's a great looking rig too, in the tradition of big boxes -- w/ the convenience of its own power supply - just add an antenna and you're cookin'!!
73, Mike
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:51 AM »

I've had mine for just about a year ad a half and pleased with it so far. I'm still learning what this radio can do, and I haven't played with all the features yet. It think it's good radio. I don't regret buying it.

73, Pete KA3RFE
WB9JOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 02:43:01 PM »

Hi You can change brightness ,by going into menu. Ted
WO8USA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

I bought a FT1000 MP Mark V about 2 month ago after a lot of comparisons.  I would do it again.  I do not have the extra filiters, I will get them someday, and the stock QRM/N capabilities are great.  Also, the menu system, while not like a IC706 or other rig, is easy to understand and use.

If you want HF, do not care too much about 6m or UHF/VHF, and want the extra power, you can't beat this rig.  I have reviewed it on eHam, and also posted messages to the TS-2000 Yahoo group as I did comparisons with that tig (which i was sold on and still like a lot).  Just decide your requirements and the rig will be obvious for you.

Chris WO8USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: