Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the Kenwood TS-870 Been Discontinued?  (Read 870 times)
MERICKSEN

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2004, 07:26:58 PM »

I was wondering if someone knows if the Kenwood TS-870 has been discontinued?  If so, does Kenwood have a rig comming out to replace it?

Thanks for the information
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:44:02 AM »

Yes, the 870 has been discontinued - several months ago. Don't know about a replacement but the top of the line Kenwood is now the TS-2000.
ON4MGY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 03:51:17 PM »

Today I was at our local Kenwood dealer here in Belgium and he told me for the moment the TS-870 is out of production, but in a couple of months production of the TS-870 will restart. I don't know if it's true and why they do that, but that's what I heard just a couple of hours ago from the kenwood-dealer. We'll see.

73  ON4MGY Nic
MERICKSEN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 06:28:40 PM »

OM4MGY, that is very interesting.  I wonder if Kenwood is comming out with a TS-870MKII?  In my March 2004 QST I don't see any of the large radio vendors listing the TS-870 in their ads.

I always liked the 870.  I currently own a TS-850, and I was kicking around the idea of getting an 870, but I don't really want to do that if the radio is out of production.
KC4ZGK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 08:52:04 AM »

870's are currently available, I have seen them on gigaparts.com for $1649.00. Regards. Ed
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 11:19:37 PM »

Just a note. A sales person at the local ham radio store told me that some manufactures are halting further production of certain rigs until the later part of March '04. Also, a Kenwood rep at the Ft.Wayne Hamfest last November mentioned the possible coming of a new generation of the TS-950DX. I also heard that the FT-920 is being discontinued. Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.  Max  
AE6OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 11:58:18 AM »

According to AES Las Vegas, Kenwood has told them that the TS-870S will start shipping again in a couple of months.  Whether it will be a "Mark II" I don't know.  It would be nice if the manufacturers would post info like that on their websites...
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 02:02:12 AM »

For what it's worth, the TS-870S is still listed in the latest AES catalog. received a couple of days ago.  But I'd also suggest shopping around for price; it's not cheap.
K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 07:33:31 PM »

AE6OX thanks for the information.  The lack of solid information from Kenwood is very strange to me.  I have called their U.S. sales guy in Ga. and left a message and my call was never returned.  I have been told by one dealer that they have had the same experience.  Another told me they won't know when any 870s will come in until they see them on the loading dock.  I have one on order so I'm grateful for your information.  A statement from Kenwood about all this would be very much appreciated.  This is certainly not my idea of customer service, or a good way to treat prospects.  
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 12:11:45 AM »

The information that I have heard from Kenwood is that the 870 is being produced on an "as-needed" basis, so it is NOT discontinued.

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
N5PK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 11:02:10 PM »

Kenwood is making anpther production run on the TS-870 now!   Most dealers have none for sale but will be getting the new ones soon.   Will this be the final production of this great transceiver?   No one is saying.   PTL es 73, Jack.
K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 11:27:34 PM »

Just talked to a guy tonight who was operating a new 870 he got from his dealer today.  So they are apparently out and shipping now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: