Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning help  (Read 588 times)
MENLOW

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2004, 05:48:29 AM »

I'm new to ham radio and I'm starting out by just listening to various shortwave broadcasts. I have a long wire antenna for everything below 30mhz that is pretty much dangleing off my roof at the time being (I'll do something more elaborate as funds become available, but it works pretty well for now). For everything above 30mhz (I have a scanner too) I use a disc-cone antenna. I wanted my disc-cone to be as high as possible so I mounted it to a 10 foot mast that is attached to the side of a dormer window on the second story of my house. The bottom of the mast rests and is attached to a metal plate on the main roof. Putting up a mast that goes straight down the side of the house to the ground is not much of an option unfortunetly. My concern now is lightning protection. I live in Louisiana and get some pretty good thunderstorms.

I'm thinking of running some #4 solid copper wire down the slope of the roof (about 10 linear feet away from the mast) and then down to an 8 foot grounding rod. However, after reading some other threads on this board, that may cause more problems than it solves by making the antenna more apealing for a lightning strike.

What are your opinions on the matter?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 07:54:32 AM »

If it were mine, I'd ground it like you propose. Over the years opinions have changed back and forth about whether lightning rods help or hurt. Yours is a different animal however because you already have the "lightning rod"; your question is whether to ground it or not. I've never heard of a professional installation where a mast or tower was left ungrounded so that lightning would leave it alone. If you have a metal mast sticking up in the air like a lightning rod you had better ground it.
AD6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 01:42:58 PM »

I install professionaly, and have gone to grounding standards schools, and YES, ground that "lightning rod".  Something you could try, it since its a metallic roof, ground it too..  

73s
Jim AD6IJ www.qsl.net/ad6ij
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:53:59 PM »

The BEST information on PROPER lightning protection can be found at:
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: